Blugrassreef's 40 breeder

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blugrassreef's 40 breeder build (with pics)

I am currently working on my 40b display with 40b sump/fuge....This will be nothing fancy just my little piece of the pie.....This should keep me satisfied till I can upgrade to a big tank.

Equipment:
40 breeder display
40 breeder sump/fuge
Eshopps psk-200
Light....undecided...may go all LED if not it will be a T5/Led hybrid.
3 TLF 150 reactors...carbon,Gfo and I may give bio pellets a try.
2 Eheim 250w heaters
Mag 7 return
External overflow with Beananimal setup
1" internal weir to maximize tank space

Circulation:
Mag 18 closed loop....I hate power heads in a tank...even the Vortechs get on my nerves....I have 2 Tunze 6045 if the are needed...I hope not....This will be a mixed reef heavy on the SPS so until the SPS grow out I think I can get by with just the closed loop.

I hope to have all this complete and running bu this weekend....All the rock and sand is all ready cured out of another tank so It is just a matter of transferring everything out of the Brute trashcan.

So can I get some love from R2R...lol

I have pics to post but that will have to wait as I am about to get the internal and external overflow siliconed into place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Love....I will get some pics up later this afternoon....Have a Reefcleaners group buy coming in today...so everyone from my local club is running in and out of the homefront.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see it! Sounds like it will be nice. What are you planning on upgrading to after the 40?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I love to see 40B builds, they are one of my favorite sized tanks. I used to have a 40B SPS dominated a few years back, it was by far one of my favorite setups.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see it! Sounds like it will be nice. What are you planning on upgrading to after the 40?

If I can find a good deal....180+....My oldest daughter just moved out and we are moving around bedrooms and it looks like I will end up with my own room for the "Fish Junk" as the wife calls it....lol

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I love to see 40B builds, they are one of my favorite sized tanks. I used to have a 40B SPS dominated a few years back, it was by far one of my favorite setups.

If I can get it all stabilized and get SPS to grow I will most likely keep this setup for a year or two......I have seen some great 40b SPS tanks.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys here are some pics as promised....no one likes threads without pics....lol

Standard 40 breeder....Best small tank in the world IMO
40b.jpg

Hole drilled and bulkhead for Mag 18 closed loop intake.
40b002.jpg

3 1" holes for the external overflow box.
40b001.jpg

Internal weir 33" x 4" x 1"
40b009.jpg

External overflow w/ Beananimal setup 33" x 4" x 6"
40b006.jpg

Another shot of external box and plumbing
40b010.jpg

Yet another external box shot
40b011.jpg

Skimmer.....Eshopps psk-200
40b007.jpg

Sump/fuge....40 breeder
40b008.jpg

Live rock and water waiting
40b003.jpg

40b004.jpg

And here is the group buy order from reefcleaners.
40b012.jpg

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh come on Mike... I have known you for several years and this 40 will be gone in no time and on with something larger. :wink:

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did make a mistake...When I drilled the intake for the closed loop I had a brain fart and put the hole in the middle....Then I realized that when I attached the external box one of the ball valves was in the way....So I had to move the box all the way to the left and add a 90 so I could still use the intake I had drilled....It is close but I think and pray that it will work.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh come on Mike... I have known you for several years and this 40 will be gone in no time and on with something larger. :wink:

You are partly right Gary.....This will keep me satisfied but not what I really want (180+) but with school and everything this will have to do for now.....on an upside my oldest daughter just moved out and with a little rearranging I will end up with my own fish room....which is a big plus....lol

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag 18 for a closed loop is gonna rock that 40B :) Will be an SPS frag's dream, haha.

I wish I could find pics of my 40B when it was up....can't wait to see yours as it comes together. By the way, where in KY are you?

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag 18 for a closed loop is gonna rock that 40B :) Will be an SPS frag's dream, haha.

I wish I could find pics of my 40B when it was up....can't wait to see yours as it comes together. By the way, where in KY are you?

I am in Nicholasville....just south of Lexington....We have quite a few members down your way on our local board....You should sign up and check us out....kyreef.com.....we are quite active not a lot of meetings but we are always posting and yapping....lol

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'm current VP of LMAS, Louisville Marine Aquarium Society, but I haven't done much since I've been traveling a lot this year, which was sort of unexpected. I believe I have a login for kyreef already as well, but don't get on much.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'm current VP of LMAS, Louisville Marine Aquarium Society, but I haven't done much since I've been traveling a lot this year, which was sort of unexpected. I believe I have a login for kyreef already as well, but don't get on much.

I'm VP of KRS....LOL

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish junk room? lol. She'll be singing a different tune if you put a nice couch in there and have some moon lights on the tank. Watching a tank at night with the moonlights on is super relaxing.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish junk room? lol. She'll be singing a different tune if you put a nice couch in there and have some moon lights on the tank. Watching a tank at night with the moonlights on is super relaxing.

Yep....she likes the tank....she just hates when I upgrade or setup a new tank....but once they are complete she will sit and look......She loves feather dusters and Flowerpot coral.....I want to get her a red one as I have red the fair better than any of the rest.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have the plumbing finished today (fingers crossed) and then the transfer begins.......On a side note I am thinking that I will leave it BB for awhile and see how I like it.....if I decide to go with sand I have a bunch of cured I have been hanging onto.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back