Bobbit and other Worms

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,
Need help with identification and confirmation of the worms below. I knew I had fireworm in my live rock and had no luck catching him after three high salinity (50ppm) dips and even squirting hyrdogen peroxide into the rock. I decided since this will be refugium rock anyway, I may as well break them to pieces to get him out. Well, I found a number of hitchhikers include a green mantis shrimp, several bobbit worms, and a pair of bristleworms.

1. Not sure what this is. It broke into the two pieces while retrieving.

2. Is this a bobbit worm?

3. Pretty sure this is a bobbit worm

4. Bristleworm I finally caught

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First one is a nudibranch, possibly monti-eating. Discard it !!
Second one looks to be a Capitellid worm which is similar to a bristleworm without the bristles and eats detrious but I dont trust them as i see very few and would sump or discard it.
Third appears to be a young Bristle
Fourth is a bristle worm.

You got some bad guys on this rock - Yikes !!

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First one is a nudibranch, possibly monti-eating. Discard it !!
Second one looks to be a Capitellid worm which is similar to a bristleworm without the bristles and eats detrious but I dont trust them as i see very few and would sump or discard it.
Third appears to be a young Bristle
Fourth is a bristle worm.

You got some bad guys on this rock - Yikes !!
Thanks for the help! I thought the third was a bobbit given the classic ring on the neck and the matching head structure

In the fourth video, doesn’t this look like a bearded fireworm?

ACE55561-04AE-4FD8-A724-E671A1E986F4.jpeg

I put the mantis shrimp up for free in another

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the help! I thought the third was a bobbit given the classic ring on the neck and the matching head structure

In the fourth video, doesn’t this look like a bearded fireworm?

ACE55561-04AE-4FD8-A724-E671A1E986F4.jpeg

I put the mantis shrimp up for free in another
Its confusingly close at a glance but fireworm has more pronounced feathering on tips

Fireworm

1600652458524.png

Bristleworm

1600652497350.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Awesome! Thank you. Should I assume these bristleworms are not Reef safe?
I dont allow even bristles in my tanks. As long as they are out, discard them. Im sure there is more within the tank. These will not change the balance of your tank by eliminating them

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Need help with identification and confirmation of the worms below. I knew I had fireworm in my live rock and had no luck catching him after three high salinity (50ppm) dips and even squirting hyrdogen peroxide into the rock. I decided since this will be refugium rock anyway, I may as well break them to pieces to get him out. Well, I found a number of hitchhikers include a green mantis shrimp, several bobbit worms, and a pair of fireworms.

4. Fireworm I finally caught

Pic 3 Ring Palolo worm Eunice sp.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thousands of bristle worms like your second and fourth images in my previous tank. Never had any issues with them. It's up to you to decide what you want to do with them, though. There are thousands of different species, so you never know.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree on number 1 being a nudibranch. I had one in my live rock too and it's some kind of arthropod. You can see the legs in the video if you look closely. My best guess is some kind of isopod, but no idea really.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Inlcined to say that 3 is a hobbit worm because of the mandibles on it! Looks pretty gnarly. I'm suddenly wondering if I've been mis ID-ing what I thought were bristle worms. I used to have a ton of bristly worms that were bi colored, much like in one image above by @Joker79 that @Steve Erekson ID'd to be a syllidae

Daniel Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Need help with identification and confirmation of the worms below. I knew I had fireworm in my live rock and had no luck catching him after three high salinity (50ppm) dips and even squirting hyrdogen peroxide into the rock. I decided since this will be refugium rock anyway, I may as well break them to pieces to get him out. Well, I found a number of hitchhikers include a green mantis shrimp, several bobbit worms, and a pair of bristleworms.

So you still have the bobbit worm???

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Video number three I Believe is a Eunice worm not Bobbitt

Back