Booted from Facebook Saltwater Group because I said "I DONT TEST"

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on a facebook group asked "How Many Times a Week do you test for Alkalinity?"

I posted in response RARELY, If at all anymore. And went on to explain the virtues of DOSING and Water Changes. Because I have a dosing schedule and I **Observe** my corals (LPS and Softies only tank).

I explained in my post that I had established a dosing schedule based on testing over a long period and that one can maintain a system with regular dosing and water changes and observe their Corals. My Acan's tell me when Nitrates and Phosphates are high.... My Torches tell me when they are lush and fat that the water is good. My Corals dictate to me when its time for fresh salt water.

INSTANT BOOTED.

Facebook people need to go to PETCO.

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Admins - We have a zealot here. Needs to be banned!! BOOT HIM

That 70S Show Reaction GIF by Laff

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on a facebook group asked "How Many Times a Week do you test for Alkalinity?"

I posted in response RARELY, If at all anymore. And went on to explain the virtues of DOSING and Water Changes. Because I have a dosing schedule and I **Observe** my corals (LPS and Softies only tank).

I explained in my post that I had established a dosing schedule based on testing over a long period and that one can maintain a system with regular dosing and water changes and observe their Corals. My Acan's tell me when Nitrates and Phosphates are high.... My Torches tell me when they are lush and fat that the water is good. My Corals dictate to me when its time for fresh salt water.

INSTANT BOOTED.

Facebook people need to go to PETCO.
Sorry to hear about your Facebook experience.

Hoping you will keep posting your reefing knowledge here on R2R! I love to read experienced reefer’s knowledge and techniques!

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Embarrassed Shame GIF

I have a mixed reef with lot of sps. calcium reactor, water change once 6 weeks. I test about once every 3 month, because everything is stable as rock and everyone is happy. My facebook reef groups are only frag sell/trade. I quit my "help" groups because people who ask questions is only to hear what they think already.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice snapshot of what FB has done to society IMO.

When I read the 2nd part of your post I thought, wow, hope I can get there one day, too. Honestly I'm so tired of having to test as frequently as I do at this stage of my tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait you don't test alkalinity at least every few days?
200 (4).gif

Honestly though why would they care if someone in the group test differently than how often they think alk should be tested? I agree with corals telling you if there is an issue. I seem to have a duncan that is quick to tell me if there is a change in nitrate or phosphate. With that said I still manually test everything once or twice a week and alkalinity 4 times per day (Trident so I'm not sure it counts)

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your Facebook experience.

Hoping you will keep posting your reefing knowledge here on R2R! I love to read experienced reefer’s knowledge and techniques!
I think this hobby is a joy, to be honest if you setup right from the start. Im fortunate to have worked for Pat Donston owner of Absolutely Fish Marine Aquarium and I learned the hard way lugging buckets back when I was in college. Now, while I only keep LPS and Soft Corals, I find that setting up a tank with cultured live rock and good current flow and patience is 90% of the battle. Plus I subscribe to the Attrition Theory: -Over time, your system will develop livestock that thrive. Regardless of what you do, some will die off. But The residual Life are hardy. And that is a reality of keeping a reef. How many times I had numerous thriving corals, fish...etc... when I introduced a new one and it did not make it.

I keep WATER. And I strive to maintain my water by dosing and water changes. Filtration is a given. It was established from the beginning. The Live Rock is KEY. Established Rock with diversity of life. Good Flow over the rock. I keep Rock and Coraline Algae as much as I keep Corals and fish. My Coraline Algae are thriving. rich purple and pink. Rock crawling with Pods at night. That is the heart of a system, the Rock.

As for Ca & Alkalinity.... I Dose in moderation and maintain fresh water changes. -When I do so everybody perks up and brighten. So... yeah. I rarely test.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this hobby is a joy, to be honest if you setup right from the start. While I only keep LPS and Soft Corals, I find that setting up a tank with cultured live rock and good current flow and patience is 90% of the battle. Plus I subscribe to the Attrition Theory: -Over time, your system will develop livestock that thrive. Regardless of what you do, some will die off. But The residual Life are hardy. And that is a reality of keeping a reef. How many times I had numerous thriving corals, fish...etc... when I introduced a new one and it did not make it.

I keep WATER. And I strive to maintain my water by dosing and water changes. Filtration is a given. It was established from the beginning. The Live Rock is KEY. Established Rock with diversity of life. Good Flow over the rock. I keep Rock and Coraline Algae as much as I keep Corals and fish. My Coraline Algae are thriving. rich purple and pink. Rock crawling with Pods at night. That is the heart of a system, the Rock.

As for Ca & Alkalinity.... I Dose in moderation and maintain fresh water changes. -When I do so everybody perks up and brighten. So... yeah. I rarely test.
Facebook may be banning you, BUT here on R2R, I’m giving you 2 thumbs up!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I never go on FB. I have never tested. But whenever I go to my LFS to buy food or something, I asked them to.... They tell me if I need water change.
Then again I do not have corals, and fish are more tolerant.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait you don't test alkalinity at least every few days?
200 (4).gif

Honestly though why would they care if someone in the group test differently than how often they think alk should be tested? I agree with corals telling you if there is an issue. I seem to have a duncan that is quick to tell me if there is a change in nitrate or phosphate. With that said I still manually test everything once or twice a week and alkalinity 4 times per day (Trident so I'm not sure it counts)
YES! Our Corals tell us! Well... my Acans seem to quiver up faster than my Duncan. Then there is always the CRAB factor too! Little jerks climbing on things!

Of all the Corals I have the hardest time keeping is XENIA! I can't get Xenia to grow and I know how many of us hate Xenia... I just love the pumping little hands and I can't get them to grow.

PS... I love the Will Ferrell gif! LOL

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back