Bretts 40g breeder build

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to mention im also using live sand only thing Im wondering is if I should pre soak and "cure" my dry rock before starting
It wouldn't hurt to do that. I had my rock in a brute can with salt water and a wave maker for about 2 months prior to going into tank...but I was also still refinishing my stand and replumbing everything. It will cure in your tank, it'll just take longer and you may experience a longer or more intense ugly stage during the process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't hurt to do that. I had my rock in a brute can with salt water and a wave maker for about 2 months prior to going into tank...but I was also still refinishing my stand and replumbing everything. It will cure in your tank, it'll just take longer and you may experience a longer or more intense ugly stage during the process.
I think I’m going to do a few days soak In ro and then cook them In salt for a week or so while finishing plumbing.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bret check out the new plane called the Celera 500L. Bullet shaped plane that is so cool and looks like the future of aviation!

I worked on composite engine cowl manufacture late 90s, If I did a cut or rivet outside 1000th I had to report it due to drag co efficients when all plane's fixings were calculated, I don't fly but love planes. :)

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bret check out the new plane called the Celera 500L. Bullet shaped plane that is so cool and looks like the future of aviation!
Ehh I’m not really a fan! Not my cup of tea. Lose some power converting that turbine engine to a jet engine plus you have the drag of a propeller. I know that aviation will change quicker due to COVID and I believe that airbus will take a320 neo series (more thrust a319, 320 and 321) and make it way more efficient and Make it more suitable for long haul flights. I think single row long haul is the future for commercial aviation

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh I’m not really a fan! Not my cup of tea. Lose some power converting that turbine engine to a jet engine plus you have the drag of a propeller. I know that aviation will change quicker due to COVID and I believe that airbus will take a320 neo series (more thrust a319, 320 and 321) and make it way more efficient and Make it more suitable for long haul flights. I think single row long haul is the future for commercial aviation
Did you read the comparison in fuel consumption to current jet airframes? Almost 10 times more miles per gallon of fuel burn at 460 mph. This makes the airframe capable of transport efficiency of commercial aircraft with a full load of passengers and freight. It is indeed a game changer that can be scaled up! High bypass turbines are possibly at the end of their evolution. The future of aviation is the death of the hub and spoke system with lower cost to go between smaller airports at higher efficiency with the lower associated fuel burn and costs. This is the type of technology that could disrupt the airline industry. As consumer I would much prefer a direct flight instead of being routed thousands of miles and hours out of my destination with associated layovers just to go less than 1000 miles! The hub and spoke system needs to die! For me to fly to Seattle right now I have to drive 40 minutes to 1 hour abs 50 minutes to catch a plane. Or I can catch a flight from Lewiston to Salt Lake City sit a while and catch a flight back to Seattle taking me almost as long as it takes me to drive my car to Seattle. I was able to drive to my local airport in five minutes and be in Seattle in a couple hours...no longer! This is where air travel today is much less a necessary means of travel and will struggle to make a comeback until better efficiencies are discovered and exploited. Business travelers are no longer going to carry the airlines as many have discovered the use of Internet communications made necessary by our current world wide pandemic.

The pandemic may be the biggest disruptor of the airline industry in our history...no one knows the full impact yet.

By the way Airbus lost in court in the EU to Boeing for the subsidiaries provided by many European countries. Just saying no one knows how that will affect Airbus in the future. I am sure your father knows much more than I do about all this and how it might affect the future of commercial aviation. Interesting times to say the least. I believe many of the grounded aircraft will never fly again due to age and the inability for some of the budget airlines to properly maintain them while on the ground.

Oops sorry about the discussion on planes now back to your killer 40 gallon build!

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the comparison in fuel consumption to current jet airframes? Almost 10 times more miles per gallon of fuel burn at 460 mph. This makes the airframe capable of transport efficiency of commercial aircraft with a full load of passengers and freight. It is indeed a game changer that can be scaled up! High bypass turbines are possibly at the end of their evolution. The future of aviation is the death of the hub and spoke system with lower cost to go between smaller airports at higher efficiency with the lower associated fuel burn and costs. This is the type of technology that could disrupt the airline industry. As consumer I would much prefer a direct flight instead of being routed thousands of miles and hours out of my destination with associated layovers just to go less than 1000 miles! The hub and spoke system needs to die! For me to fly to Seattle right now I have to drive 40 minutes to 1 hour abs 50 minutes to catch a plane. Or I can catch a flight from Lewiston to Salt Lake City sit a while and catch a flight back to Seattle taking me almost as long as it takes me to drive my car to Seattle. I was able to drive to my local airport in five minutes and be in Seattle in a couple hours...no longer! This is where air travel today is much less a necessary means of travel and will struggle to make a comeback until better efficiencies are discovered and exploited. Business travelers are no longer going to carry the airlines as many have discovered the use of Internet communications made necessary by our current world wide pandemic.

The pandemic may be the biggest disruptor of the airline industry in our history...no one knows the full impact yet.

By the way Airbus lost in court in the EU to Boeing for the subsidiaries provided by many European countries. Just saying no one knows how that will affect Airbus in the future. I am sure your father knows much more than I do about all this and how it might affect the future of commercial aviation. Interesting times to say the least. I believe many of the grounded aircraft will never fly again due to age and the inability for some of the budget airlines to properly maintain them while on the ground.

Oops sorry about the discussion on planes now back to your killer 40 gallon build!
Yeah that’s a well written response you are very knowledgeable about the subject. Although we have no clue where any of this will go
It’s not a killer 40g build. It’s longest build thread without water. I got the tank 3 years ago lol

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s a well written response you are very knowledgeable about the subject. Although we have no clue where any of this will go
It’s not a killer 40g build. It’s longest build thread without water. I got the tank 3 years ago lol
Not true...@JoshH has the longest tank build thread without water, so don't worry you'll be finished and have fish and corals long before he does ;Hilarious

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again with the wow emoji...is that the only one that shows up for you when I "summon" you? ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious :p
don't fell bad i got "nothin" ;) :p

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically I was looking at fish just a couple minutes ago before being summoned here :rolleyes:
Got to finish you plumbing before you can buy fish...which means you gotta finish the fish room...which means you gotta finish painting...see where I'm going here? ;)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. well they are not getting used here we were just going to throw them out today. no one wants them. sooooo I guess its another one of Bretts craziness
Take them to Goodwill. You have enough for someone else to use.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take them to Goodwill. You have enough for someone else to use.
Not a big fan of goodwill. Look into how they treat their disabled workers. It’s a shady shady business. My dad has kept these tiles and will give them to any one who needs help with a house for financial or family reasons he will give whatever they need that we have left over!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of goodwill. Look into how they treat their disabled workers. It’s a shady shady business. My dad has kept these tiles and will give them to any one who needs help with a house for financial or family reasons he will give whatever they need that we have left over!
Plenty of other nonprofits out there besides Goodwill such as Habitat for Humanity who would be glad to have. Good to hear that you are not throwing them away. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 46 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back