Broken Top Plastic Support Bracket

markak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this? But here goes I have a top plastic bracket at the top of my 220 display tank that broke at the back of the tank (detached from the plastic rim.) My question is can it be super glued back on? I'm not sure if super glue would even hold for long. I noticed that there is already a gap and it would have to be forced back to lineup with the top rim. I afraid that the glass might crack if I force it. If it is even possible to force it back together. My other idea is to measure the distance from the wall to my canopy,(wood frame of the canopy is over the rim of the tank) and cut a couple of pieces of wood, and wedge it between the wall and wood frame of the canopy. Then if the back glass does start to bow it can't, the wood pieces would hold it in place. Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to wait to long then the glass might break or crack. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen if it's not fixed right away.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I'm glad you are positive as I would by now have drained the tank.
It's a ticking timebomb if you ask me.
You can make a aluminum brace over the top in order not to prevent it from further bowing.
If the back is 1/8" giving in we talking really 1/4" as the front does the same.
All the silicone corners are getting a extra pressure stress as we speak.
Of course it will help for the time being if that tank is made from thick glass, yet not a good thing.

#reefsquad

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a flat ruler and check for ANY bowing at all. If there is any indication of bowing of the glass, drain immediately. At very minimum drain half of the water to help reduce the stress.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I don't know if this is the right thread to post this? But here goes I have a top plastic bracket at the top of my 220 display tank that broke at the back of the tank (detached from the plastic rim.) My question is can it be super glued back on? I'm not sure if super glue would even hold for long. I noticed that there is already a gap and it would have to be forced back to lineup with the top rim. I afraid that the glass might crack if I force it. If it is even possible to force it back together. My other idea is to measure the distance from the wall to my canopy,(wood frame of the canopy is over the rim of the tank) and cut a couple of pieces of wood, and wedge it between the wall and wood frame of the canopy. Then if the back glass does start to bow it can't, the wood pieces would hold it in place. Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to wait to long then the glass might break or crack. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen if it's not fixed right away.
I agree that this is a disaster waiting to happen. I would call the best LFS in your area and see if they can recommend someone who can repair the tank ASAP. If possible, I also think it is in your best interest to drop the water level as much as possible. Even reducing the water level a few inches will greatly reduce the stress on the tank walls.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above recommendations. For name branded tanks, you can purchase the frames and replace this top frame. Talk to you LFS to see if they can order in a new top frame. In the mean time, as suggested, I'd drop that water level and think of ways to hold that glass until you can get it fixed.

If you lived closer I could have lent you stock tanks to transfer everything out....it would make the repair of the tank easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markak

markak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my worst fears have come true just took a look under the tank and it is leaking all the way across the bottom in the back rim. I shut down the return pump and don't know what to do from there.

OP
OP
markak

markak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in my area that want some real cheap stock? I giving in to no more reefing.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my worst fears have come true just took a look under the tank and it is leaking all the way across the bottom in the back rim. I shut down the return pump and don't know what to do from there.

Awe man that really sucks :(
Try to drain your tank and put livestock in a trash can or storage containers.
You don't have a small 20gallon sitting around?
What about a Quarantine tank?
No LFS or local hobbyist?
Maybe a local forum you can post this on.
Let me get some eyes on this for more help.

#reefsquad

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what part of PA you are in, but there are a few clubs listed here on R2R. Might want to see if anything is close and post in there. May find a somewhat local to assist you with this.

Sorry you're having to go through this.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/pennsylvania.557/

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of pa, im in pa.
But seroisly, go to home depot and buy a brute trash can, transfer enough water for all your stock, rocks anent as crucial just some.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to tractor supply and get one of these link toss everything into the tube and run your sump till you can either repair and purchase a new tank.
locations below
Tractor supply.PNG

OP
OP
markak

markak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of pa, im in pa.
But seroisly, go to home depot and buy a brute trash can, transfer enough water for all your stock, rocks anent as crucial just some.
I'm in NW Pa close to the OH border. I've gone the route you are talking about when the tank sprung a leak about a year ago. I'm getting out of the reef/saltwater hobby. Did have a guy that was coming by to see what I had, but he backed out.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 89 46.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 18 9.4%
Back