Brooklynella? Treatment? Help please

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon reef tank. I have at least 4 different types of coral, 2 red firefish, a watchmen goby, maroon clown, blue legged hermit crab and a Mexican Turbo snail. Everyone eats and acts normal. But I recently noticed a tiny white mucus spot near the tail of the maroon clown. At first I thought the clown fish rubbed against a rock because the way I have the tank set up , my rocks overlap with a little tunnel like space and he/she likes to swim through it. But lately I’ve been more observant and he/she seems to like rubbing near the magnetic algae scrapper brick I have and I’m scared my clown fish might have Brooklynella. This is my first reef or saltwater tank and I want to take the proper steps so all my fish and corals stay alive and healthy. At the moment it doesn’t seem too bad because the clown fish still eats and is very active and curious. So I hope I caught it early enough to treat the problem so everything could be okay. Someone please help , I’d really appreciate it.

image.jpg

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best pictures I can take cause he/she wiggles so cutely all the time

C6E90962-0A3C-47DA-A5D9-8C120BA98728.jpeg ED88869D-0B56-414F-AC97-C22E79D0F724.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be early stage Brook but it also could be a bacterial infection. Bacterial infections are secondary in nature. The repeated rock scraping could have resulted in a bacterial infection. If so, those white areas need watching. Often the fish's immune system can take care of the infection by itself. But sometimes it needs a little help. Here's a couple of thread to help inform and prepare:

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be early stage Brook but it also could be a bacterial infection. Bacterial infections are secondary in nature. The repeated rock scraping could have resulted in a bacterial infection. If so, those white areas need watching. Often the fish's immune system can take care of the infection by itself. But sometimes it needs a little help. Here's a couple of thread to help inform and prepare:

Thank you , I am working on setting up a quarantine tank just in case it gets any worse. Worse case, If it is Brook.. would that effect my other fish?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook, even though it is called "Clownfish Disease" can infect any fish. Similar to ich, velvet, uronema, if one fish in the tank has it, the others probably do too. Depending on the individual fish, the parasite can present at different stages and with different symptoms, depending on the fish's immune system, thickness of mucous coat, etc.

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report back, my clown is doing great! It was just a minor scrape from a rock. I tend to over react cause I love animals so much and this hobby keeps me on my toes. But all fish are happy and healthy. Thank you for the advice and info.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Freshwater dip then a formalin bath daily for 5-8 days. Keep it is QT tank or even a Rubbermaid container.
I use quick Cure by Mardel which is Formalin based.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back