Brown algae and nitrogen bubbles.

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Have a lot of brown algae forming and capturing nitrogen bubbles. Is there a cure for this condition. I’m not too concerned about the bubbles but the brown algae is ruining the look of the tank.
9a5138a199875d3f5aa58dfe2a12d01a.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a very clear picture but it does look like dinoflagellates with the bubbles rising up.

You could try a 3 day tank blackout and see if that clears it up as a potentially simple solution, but in the meantime due some research as there are different methods depending on the strain concerned

OP
OP
BaliWoody

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks. I’ll see what I can do with the black out.

OP
OP
BaliWoody

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

evoque335i

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had close to the same problem you have plus green hair algea because of me neglecting my tank I was dosing flueconzle now everything is gone .

OP
OP
BaliWoody

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had close to the same problem you have plus green hair algea because of me neglecting my tank I was dosing flueconzle now everything is gone .

Thanks. I’m going to try a natural cure and see if the tank benefits from increased microbe activity, a half water change and a reduction in food and light. It may be a slow process but I think the ecology will either live or die in its own will.

OP
OP
BaliWoody

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
I
The tank is showing great improvement through reducing the light and boosting the bacterial action. The nutrient level had got to 50 ppm which probably caused the problem in the first place. I have introduced 3 more urchins for clean up duties as the only cost $1.50 here.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing. I blow off the rocks and clean them the best I could. Some I took out of the tank and scrubbed. Then I got biodigest and dose 2 vials a day for a week. It went away. I read that my tank was out of balance. All I can say I fought that stuff for 3 years. Once I did the biodigest, it is gone for 2 months now. Tank has not looked this good in a long time.

OP
OP
BaliWoody

BaliWoody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I blacked out the tank for 3 days and it has gone. I lost some hammer corals but fish and anemones all doing well. I am adding a couple of colorful clams today and have a clean up crew of 5 urchins, 3 ghost prawns and 25 hermit crabs ( which in Indonesia cost 25cents each). Hope the tank stays looking this good. Will post photos later.

Back