Brown algae and nitrogen bubbles.

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by BaliWoody, Jan 13, 2019.

1. BaliWoody

BaliWoody Member

Hi. Have a lot of brown algae forming and capturing nitrogen bubbles. Is there a cure for this condition. I’m not too concerned about the bubbles but the brown algae is ruining the look of the tank. [​IMG]

cracker and SPR1968 like this.

2. cpage101

cpage101 Active Member

dinoflagellates (not good)

SPR1968 likes this.
  3. SPR1968

SPR1968 Fish & Coral Addict! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 UK Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

It’s not a very clear picture but it does look like dinoflagellates with the bubbles rising up.

You could try a 3 day tank blackout and see if that clears it up as a potentially simple solution, but in the meantime due some research as there are different methods depending on the strain concerned

fabutahoun likes this.
  4. BaliWoody

BaliWoody Member

Thanks folks. I’ll see what I can do with the black out.

5. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor

fabutahoun and Scrubber_steve like this.
  6. BaliWoody

BaliWoody Member

Thanks for the article. Helps tremendously. I am currently up to my armpits picking the nasties off my rocks. It does not seem to have traveled to my sand yet.

fabutahoun and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  7. evoque335i

evoque335i Member

I had close to the same problem you have plus green hair algea because of me neglecting my tank I was dosing flueconzle now everything is gone .

cracker likes this.
  8. BaliWoody

BaliWoody Member

Thanks. I’m going to try a natural cure and see if the tank benefits from increased microbe activity, a half water change and a reduction in food and light. It may be a slow process but I think the ecology will either live or die in its own will.

9. BaliWoody

BaliWoody Member

Update
    I
    The tank is showing great improvement through reducing the light and boosting the bacterial action. The nutrient level had got to 50 ppm which probably caused the problem in the first place. I have introduced 3 more urchins for clean up duties as the only cost $1.50 here.

10. marvelousone

marvelousone Well-Known Member Louisiana Reef Club

I had the same thing. I blow off the rocks and clean them the best I could. Some I took out of the tank and scrubbed. Then I got biodigest and dose 2 vials a day for a week. It went away. I read that my tank was out of balance. All I can say I fought that stuff for 3 years. Once I did the biodigest, it is gone for 2 months now. Tank has not looked this good in a long time.

11. BaliWoody

BaliWoody Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I blacked out the tank for 3 days and it has gone. I lost some hammer corals but fish and anemones all doing well. I am adding a couple of colorful clams today and have a clean up crew of 5 urchins, 3 ghost prawns and 25 hermit crabs ( which in Indonesia cost 25cents each). Hope the tank stays looking this good. Will post photos later.

Draft saved Draft deleted