BRS Pharma Soda Ash Concentration (mg/l)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi brs, when mixed according to your instructions, what's the resulting concentration?

we're not sure how to properly ask this question - we'd like to know the:

concentration in meq/l

and

1 ml (of the mixed solution) raises 1 liter x dKH

we saw the calculator web-app, but it's not useful for this. we are switching from red sea foundation b (powder), which when mixed has an effect of +3.4 dKH (per liter) when you add 1 ml of solution (i think, lol). we'd like the equilvalent for the soda ash, so when we swap bottles, we'll know how to adjust our doser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there must be a way to back calculate with the brs calculator, but we're more comfortable to see numbers directly from brs.

also, should we expect a pH spike, and what's the best way to handle this?

Last edited:

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi brs, when mixed according to your instructions, what's the resulting concentration?

concentration in meq/l

and

1 ml (of the mixed solution) raises 1 liter x dKH

we saw the calculator web-app, but it's not useful for this. we are switching from red sea foundation b (powder), which when mixed has an effect of +3.4 dKH (per liter) when you add 1 ml of solution (i think, lol). we'd like the equilvalent for the soda ash, so when we swap bottles, we'll know how to adjust our doser.
I know you're waiting for the official word on this, but I thought I'd throw in my guess. I have a daily consumption of about 1.4 dKH and this comes out to 250ml in a 250 gallon system. My calculation is 1.4 dKH per ml added to 1 gallon. Sort of related... did you switch away from Triton?

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're waiting for the official word on this, but I thought I'd throw in my guess. I have a daily consumption of about 1.4 dKH and this comes out to 250ml in a 250 gallon system. My calculation is 1.4 dKH per ml added to 1 gallon. Sort of related... did you switch away from Triton?

haha, thanks. we're still doing triton - our alk is pretty screwed up. we're using this to supplement triton alk. the way we're doing it, our triton alk can't keep up, like we'd blow our Mg and Ca thru the roof if we increased everything equally. many kind people have advised us to dose equally, we're just too chicken to alter course at 13 months in... too many sps...

i'm sure we're doing the whole deal wrong - we're not doing equal parts dosing, uggg ;Bookworm:mad:;Bookworm:mad:;Bookworm

Last edited:

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, thanks. we're still doing triton - our alk is pretty screwed up. we're using this to supplement triton alk. the way we're doing it, our triton alk can't keep up, like we'd blow our Mg and Ca thru the roof if we increased everything equally. many kind people have advised us to dose equally, we're just too chicken to alter course at 13 months in...

i'm sure we're doing the whole deal wrong - we're not doing equal parts dosing, uggg ;Bookworm:mad:;Bookworm:mad:;Bookworm
Yeah, seems like you'd need to get numbers way out of wack in an ICP test before they'd recommend cutting back core dosing and adding NaHCO3. I actually don't know if they'd ever recommend that. Anyway, didn't mean to derail your original post. Good luck in getting the answer!

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg 1ml into 3.7854 liters (1 gal) to raise dKH by 1.4... is kinda weak sauce... j/k! but has anyone doubled or tripled the brs recommended concentration? is it even soluable above the brs recommendation lols? ;Doctor

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
concentration in meq/l and 1 ml (of the mixed solution) raises 1 liter x dKH

Great questions for sure! So, for the first question we base our mixing instructions/calculations from Randy Holmes Farley's Improved DIY 2-part where the Soda Ash concentration should be 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity or 5,300 dKH.

For the second question, you can use the calculator. I put BRS new pharma Soda Ash, changed the volume to 1L, said I wanted to go from 8dKH to 9dKH and got the answer of 0.1mL. If you change that to a gallon you would get 0.7mL to raise a gallon by 1dKH. :)

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does this mean that the BRS Soda Ash concentration is 53,000 times stronger than the Red Sea Foundation B liquid when mixed per the instructions on the BRS Soda Ash container? That just seems hard to fathom.

Attachments

• F46430C0-45A5-4FD9-BB25-1197348D53E8.jpeg
    F46430C0-45A5-4FD9-BB25-1197348D53E8.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 38

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean that the BRS Soda Ash concentration is 53,000 times stronger than the Red Sea Foundation B liquid when mixed per the instructions on the BRS Soda Ash container? That just seems hard to fathom.
Apologies for the late reply. The top line on the image you shared is stating that 1 ml of their solution will raise 100 liters of water by 0.1 dKH. Not that their solution's concentration is 0.1 dKH. Hopefully that helps clear up any confusion :)

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ha! It does. Thx for clarifying. I’m not sure why it took me so long to comprehend this. :) Based on this, once the Soda Ash is mixed per the container’s instructions, I need approximately 70% more in order to equal the same strength as the Red Sea Foundation B liquid. Right?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! It does. Thx for clarifying. I’m not sure why it took me so long to comprehend this. :) Based on this, once the Soda Ash is mixed per the container’s instructions, I need approximately 70% more in order to equal the same strength as the Red Sea Foundation B liquid. Right?

That's roughly correct, yes. Each brand uses slightly different mixing instructions, leading to different concentrations and dosing volumes to achieve the same outcome.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back