BRS UV testing....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of the latest BRS videos (not about UV specifically) they made the off-handed statement about their testing showing that using 2 UV sterilizers - one set to the proper flow rate to disable/"kill" parasites - and then the other set to he proper flow rate to disable/"kill" algae - is the best way to go...

Will we be seeing these test results anytime soon...?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A faster flow is for Algae. With that faster flow you can cycle more water through that unit to keep more water clear. Parasitic flow is much slower and is less effective on Algae because less water is treated.

Running both is the best of both since you can really cycle through allot of water for algae control and still have the slower flow for parasites.

That’s the idea anyway.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I understand what BRS is saying...

To kill parasites with a UV there needs to be a much longer contact time in the UV - meaning that the flow rate has to be much lower. The problem with a low flow rate - is that algae and bacteria, etc. reproduce much faster than parasites and even though the UV "kills" them - they reproduce faster than the UV can "kill" them at the low flow rate for parasites - and thus need a much higher flow rate.

So, in order to "kill" both - you would need two different UVs and two different flow rated pumps.

I think... ;)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of the latest BRS videos (not about UV specifically) they made the off-handed statement about their testing showing that using 2 UV sterilizers - one set to the proper flow rate to disable/"kill" parasites - and then the other set to he proper flow rate to disable/"kill" algae - is the best way to go...

Will we be seeing these test results anytime soon...?

I don't think you'll see a formal test on this, at least not in the near future, but Ryan is planning to implement a dual UV setup on his new BRS360 tank that he's setting up at his house. The two UV sterilizers will be run as a closed loop, each with different flow rates to hit the algae/protozoa flow rate needs. There will probably be a lot of anecdotal stories that come out of his experience.

Like @salty150 mentioned, what a UV sterilizer can do is all a function of the water volume of the system, size of UV, flow rate, and reproduction rate of what you're trying to sterilize.

One thing that would be interesting to also see is if an over sized sterilizer run at the protozoa flow rate would also be able to have enough turnover (due to it being over sized) to also take care of algae and bacterial sterilization. Because we're dealing with things that we can't necessarily see, it's hard to tell what's effective and what's not. Probably easy for a lab, but given our current resources, it's something that's hard for us to test properly to give the reefing community a definitive answer.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

So on a 180 gallon -

The "better" option is probably to go with (2) Smart UV 40 Watt sterilizers - one with an approx. 200 GPH flow and one with an approx. 1000 GPH flow - correct?

What size and flow rate would you need if you wanted to do just one oversized?

Thanks!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont understand this at all. I have the 40w Pentair running at about 200gph (150g tank) which means I'm turning the tank over once per hour (likely a little less than 200gph because of how it is plumbed). Algae is reproducing at a faster rate than the UV sterilizer can mitigate at what I would say is at least once per hour turn over rates? I'm finding that highly unlikely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont understand this at all. I have the 40w Pentair running at about 200gph which means I'm turning the tank over once per hour (likely a little less than that because of how it's plumbed). Algae is reproducing at a faster rate than the UV sterilizer can mitigate at what I would say is at least once per hour turn over rates? I'm finding that highly unlikely.

While you are running 200 +/- gallons of water through your UV every hour - you are not running your entire tank of water through your UV every hour.

You are running water through your UV that has already been run through your UV (as it is recirculating) - and there is a lot of water that has never run through your UV yet.

In order for you to run "every bit" of your water through your UV (because of recirculation) takes MANY hours.

And because algae and bacteria reproduce faster than protozoa/parasites you need much higher flow rates to keep up with them.

Parasites need a much longer contact time with UV (and thus a much slower flow rate) to be "sterilized".

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you are running 200 +/- gallons of water through your UV every hour - you are not running your entire tank of water through your UV every hour.

You are running water through your UV that has already been run through your UV (as it is recirculating) - and there is a lot of water that has never run through your UV yet.

In order for you to run "every bit" of your water through your UV (because of recirculation) takes MANY hours.

And because algae and bacteria reproduce faster than protozoa/parasites you need much higher flow rates to keep up with them.

Parasites need a much longer contact time with UV (and thus a much slower flow rate) to be "sterilized".

Trust me, I understand the principle of the idea, I just don't believe it's true.

deahttub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, I understand the principle of the idea, I just don't believe it's true.

agreed. Maybe in a situation where you have green water,perhaps? Otherwise IMHO its overkill. Personally, i run a UV less than 8 watts per gallon for parasitic control...

Rfields987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any benefit to alternating the flow speeds, say two days at 400 and then 2 days at 1000 - considering 57 watt on 240g

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll see a formal test on this, at least not in the near future, but Ryan is planning to implement a dual UV setup on his new BRS360 tank that he's setting up at his house. The two UV sterilizers will be run as a closed loop, each with different flow rates to hit the algae/protozoa flow rate needs. There will probably be a lot of anecdotal stories that come out of his experience.

Like @salty150 mentioned, what a UV sterilizer can do is all a function of the water volume of the system, size of UV, flow rate, and reproduction rate of what you're trying to sterilize.

One thing that would be interesting to also see is if an over sized sterilizer run at the protozoa flow rate would also be able to have enough turnover (due to it being over sized) to also take care of algae and bacterial sterilization. Because we're dealing with things that we can't necessarily see, it's hard to tell what's effective and what's not. Probably easy for a lab, but given our current resources, it's something that's hard for us to test properly to give the reefing community a definitive answer.
Thanks for the reply!

So on a 180 gallon -

The "better" option is probably to go with (2) Smart UV 40 Watt sterilizers - one with an approx. 200 GPH flow and one with an approx. 1000 GPH flow - correct?

What size and flow rate would you need if you wanted to do just one oversized?

Thanks!

Late to see this and kind of in the same vein of questioning...
2 sterilizers on my 180 is not in the cards anytime soon. I don't have an algae problem right now so I'm more concerned with killing parasites. I'm running a 40w AquaUV sterilizer. Their website says 960 to 1,100 GPH to control fish disease but from what I'm seeing online, I should be running much slower than that to kill parasites.
Is around 200 GPH the standard for killing parasites with a UV setup?

#reefsquad

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 sterilizers on my 180 is not in the cards anytime soon. I don't have an algae problem right now so I'm more concerned with killing parasites. I'm running a 40w AquaUV sterilizer. Their website says 960 to 1,100 GPH to control fish disease but from what I'm seeing online, I should be running much slower than that to kill parasites.

#reefsquad

You're correct. You'd want to run a slower flow rate if you're trying to go after protozoa. Exact flow rate will depend on the particular sterilizer you're using, but for your 40w sterilizer, 200 GPH would be a perfect target to aim for.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct. You'd want to run a slower flow rate if you're trying to go after protozoa. Exact flow rate will depend on the particular sterilizer you're using, but for your 40w sterilizer, 200 GPH would be a perfect target to aim for.

Thanks! We have enough snails and such (love me some Mexican turbos lol) that we don't have a huge algae problem.
If only a UV sterilizer would kill aipstasia haha

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont understand this at all. I have the 40w Pentair running at about 200gph (150g tank) which means I'm turning the tank over once per hour (likely a little less than 200gph because of how it is plumbed). Algae is reproducing at a faster rate than the UV sterilizer can mitigate at what I would say is at least once per hour turn over rates? I'm finding that highly unlikely.

This is the idea yes.

I have a 220 gallon system with 2 40 watt pentairs each pushing <200 gph. The idea was for total parasite control. However, my water is crystal clear with only 2x turnover.

Now that my tank is done getting additions I am going to take one UV offline, no possibility of parasites anymore.

And I believe you are right. The 10x turnover or whatever for algae control is over stated. My <2x turnover is plenty.

Would there be any benefit to alternating the flow speeds, say two days at 400 and then 2 days at 1000 - considering 57 watt on 240g

If you are running ich management or believe you could potentially have parasites than no. Speeding up the flow rate will allow the parasites to bloom because they wont be getting killed.

#reefsquad

That is because aquaUV and pentair state different uw/cm to kill parasites. We dont know the exact value, thus slower is better always as long as you are getting at least 1-2x turnover.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is because aquaUV and pentair state different uw/cm to kill parasites. We dont know the exact value, thus slower is better always as long as you are getting at least 1-2x turnover.

I understand different companies, research methods, etc can have different outcomes for something like this. But 1,000 GPH vs 200 GPH to kill the same types of parasites is a massive difference and cant' be explained away easily IMO. I agree though, I'm all for slower to kill parasites.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back