B's 65 gallon reef experience

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

It's been quite some time since I have been on the forums but I have slowly but surely making a comeback. I wanted to get back into caring for my tank and putting more effort in it overall and for the last few weeks I have been doing that much. I had a build thread on here before, just couldn't seem to find the one I was looking for and decided to just start out brand new with this thread.

Enough yapping now to the tank itself

Equipment

I have a 65 gallon tank with a 40 gallon trigger sump

Orphek v4 Led

Lifereef skimmer

Lifereef external overflow box (never drilled my tank)

2 varios v6 pumps, one as a return , the other runs my skimmer

1 large block of marine pure ( i think that's what the name of it is)

mp40 in tank

koralia in tank

Profilux 4 ( not really hooked up entirely and doesn't really do much at all other than tell me what the ph and temp is.. never hooked up red0x and my salinity probe is pretty far off and haven't recalibrated yet)

I have a tunze at0.. I just set it all up and like never really seemed to work correctly for me so I ultimately unplugged it and said forget it... so I continue to manually top off my sump about twice a week with ro/di.. The tunze always seemed to add too much water.. but that could be because it was probably the flow of the tubing continued to run into my tank

Inhabitants

The next thing I need to improve on is actual inhabitants within my tank. At this point I only have two clownfish and random inverts and snails. Nothing too fancy and the tank is pretty large for just two clowns.

Questions

Other than just displaying my tank, I would like some feedback on numerous aspects of it... beginning with my ro/di. So I have countless amount of times have flooded both my bathroom, and now most recently my basement ( not a big deal because it is cement but still an annoyance and expensive since the water continuously runs)

I would like to learn more about how a shut-off valve would work and what is required for it in the long run. I have a marine depot 3 stage ro/di and I upgraded it with the BRS upgrade kit allowing for monitoring the tds and pressure.. ( I even think I purchased the shut off stuff just never really understood it at all) I make ro/di like others with the output in the drain and the clean water collecting in a standard 20 gallon brute trash can.

My next question would be regarding rocks, I currently have a lot of rock in my tank and even removed some to my sump itself in the huge section. As mentioned above I also have a marine pure block which I imagine carries a large bioload - allowing me to remove some rocks if necessary

I want to redo my aquascape in general and create something more appealing to the eye. I was thinking about ordering dry dead rock online and maybe designing an aquascape and start to remove more of the rock to my sump that can fit. Can you have too many rocks in the sump? Would what I plan on doing work or do i have to clean or cycle the rocks first? Maybe I can design stuff with the new rocks and putty them up to stay and then put in the tank all together.

I was recently reading a thread and @Paul B was mentioning that someone else had a lot of rock in the sand which prevented oxygen exposure. Sounds like it makes sense and would like to improve on that now. I feel my tank is ultimately a pile of rocks in the middle which I dislike.

I would like to do all the tank arrangements before buying anyone new because I feel it would make stuff even more difficult to work with, within the tank. My clowns are pretty vicious and I have come to the conclusion whenever I want to have my hands in the tank I am going to get bit if I am not paying attention to them.

Another thing I want to try to fix is the fact that my tank seems to be mostly pyramid-esque with stuff in the middle leading out. I would like to attempt to improve the way the water flows and utilize the higher tank than the longer tank.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating with pics

E408B0A4-650A-483C-A03B-6D37727A97AB.jpeg

4FC26260-875E-41D8-AC8B-B1E1C00FFE0A.jpeg

5F4C70E7-12AE-40C5-9163-8C5D2B921183.jpeg

D648589F-7DB2-4F26-B0A0-69F411E33345.jpeg

14BE0300-29B8-4039-A47F-3000F9C5E69D.jpeg

CB05DEFF-A1F9-42C9-A51D-42AF8420E5CF.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and the tank certainly looks great!

On the Tunze it sounds like it’s continued to siphon water after the pump has switched off. The pump I think runs for a minimum of 20 seconds or similar each time. You need to make sure the end of the top up tube is above the pump otherwise it may well continue to siphon. The Tunze is one of the best ATO when set up correctly

On your aquascape take a look at this thread and also try searching modern marine aquascapes and you will get loads of ideas, but it looks good to me now.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brand-new-aquascape-forum.386276/

If you do re arrange it just ask us and we will then approve it for you! Lol

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back