B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, finally getting around to starting my build thread. This is my second build and I regret not doing one of these on my first tank. Ive been in the hobby right at 2 years now. I started off with a 100 gallon drilled tank with a 30 gallon sump. I learned so much in that first year, Ive lived on reef2reef and youtube to absorb as much knowledge as I can. So this time around Im really wanting to document everything and contribute back to the community that taught me so much.

I also have a youtube channel, here is a link if you want to check that out. Some videos of my 100 gallon up and running and some of the progress from my current 210 build.

So how did that come to be? I knew I was starting to outgrow my 100 gallon reef. Constantly buying frags, coral finally starting to grow really well after about the first year when I half way knew what I was doing, really wanting larger fish and more of them. So I started checking craigslist and facebook daily for deals. After a couple months of waiting and watching, I found a guy on craigslist selling a 210 Oceanic tank with stand and canopy. He was asking $900 and I was able to talk him down to $600, which was a heck of a deal if you ask me. Only one small problem, Im in DFW and this guy was in Oklahoma City, about a 4.5 hour drive. So I called 2 buddies, grabbed the trailer and off we went on a sunday about mid morning. Luckily, Im pretty good friends with the guy who owns my LFS so he let me borrow his hydraulic lift and suction cups he uses for tank moves. Finally got the tank home around 11pm that night, got everything in the garage and didnt touch it for about 2 weeks lol.

IMG_8651.JPG
IMG_8692.JPG

After about 2 weeks I was ready to get to work. Went and bought 10 gallons of white distilled vinegar from the local dollar store to start cleaning up the tank, still have a ways to go with that, I also pulled off the plasti dip on the back of the tank since it had a few tears. I am painting it black now, still needs one more coat to finish that.

Now the stand had a busted floor, big hole like somebody stepped through it, it also didnt have a top. I know it doesn't need one, but I went and and cut a top and floor for the stand out of a sheet of 3/4" ply, painted the inside of the stand and doors with white exterior Kilz, about 5 coats, painted the top the same white also. I figure that way if sand gets blown and exposes the bottom glass it won't look so bad. I plan on running a fairly thin sand bed, maybe an inch or 2 at most. I also installed some soft close hinges on the doors, which turned out very nice.

IMG_8839.jpg

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

So now the stand is getting somewhere. Took a little break from that and started thinking about some things I could prepare ahead of time to increase success transferring my 100 gallon into this 210 gallon. I knew I would need more rock and I knew I wanted to use dry rock. I picked up 60lbs of key largo dry rock from my LFS, figured that plus what I have in my 100 gallon should be plenty for the type of aquascape I want to do. Went and and picked that up and got it curing and cycling in a brute in the garage. I decided to do a fishless cycle (dr tims method). I got a bottle of ammonium chloride from BRS for first cheap and I got some Fritz turbo start live bacteria from the LFS.

IMG_8713.JPG

IMG_8941.PNG

IMG_8942.PNG

I figure if I have this rock cycled and running and drop a little ammonium chloride in their once and a while, it should be ready to rock when I finally transfer everything into the new tank! I am trying to limit a cycle as much as possible. I won't be reusing any of the old sand, going with all new. Im going to be ordering 140lbs of fiji pink when I get a little closer.

The latest update for now is the sump. I have spent the last couple of months going over options. Do I do a DIY sump from a 40b? No I thought that would be too small, I wanted to double the size of my current refugium, so I knew I needed at least 14 gallons dedicated to the fuge, not possible in a 40b after skimmer and return pump. I thought about a DIY 75gallon, but my hesitation there was that its awkwardly tall for a sump under the tank in the stand. I talked to several manufacturers about doing a custom sump, but my lord that was going to cost more than this tank did! So I kept exploring options and a deal fell into my lap like it always does if Im patient. My LFS did a tank breakdown on a 220 and the guy had an acrylic sump that was 42x18x18, that almost 60 gallons and the fuge section was 15 gallons! I picked this bad boy up for $150!

IMG_8911.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8909.JPG

I plan to replace the bulkheads when Im doing the rest of my plumbing. The next piece to the puzzle is going to be the plumbing, I have a pretty good idea of the layout, I have a parts list together, just sleeping on the design for a couple of days before I place an order. Have to make sure I have plenty of unions, ball valves, etc. Those are the pieces I cant just run to home depot and pickup a couple if I forgot one or something like that. Ill keep you guys updated as things progress. For more updates and content check out the youtube channel linked above and follow me on instagram @bsreef

image.png

image.png

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great pictures and write up and for taking the time to share this with us

And welcome to R2R as well!

OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great pictures and write up and for taking the time to share this with us

And welcome to R2R as well!

Thank you! I’ll do my best to post updates as often and as in depth as I can!

OP
OP
B's Reef

B's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I got my plumbing in this week! Well most of it anyway. There are always a piece here or there that you realize you need at the last minute, but I have everything I need for the basis of my plumbing for now. Im going to add a manifold later on after the tank is up, but it will be run on a separate pump so it will be standalone anyways. I ordered bulkheads and unions from BRS just because they have great prices and its what I've used in the past. For the pipe, fittings, ball valves, everything else, I ordered from PVCFITTINGS.COM
I cant believe their prices. Insane. Here is a pic of the lot.

IMG_8958.JPG

I went with schedule 80 pipe for the look alone, no other reason. So the pipe will match the ball valves and unions. I picked up regular schedule 40 fittings because I am painting those, along with the handles of the ball valves. I knew I didnt want to get paint inside any of the fittings or anywhere that is going to bond to the pipe, so I cut up a bunch of small pieces of pic, inserted them into all of the fittings then taped off the ends of all the pipes, preventing paint from being anywhere but on the outside of the fitting.

IMG_8971.PNG

What color am I painting all of this? Neon green of course! Its just kind of my thing lol.

IMG_8972.PNG

Now here is a pic of everything after the first 3 coats. It became pretty apparent to me that the handles, being blue to start with, weren't going to come out looking the same as my white fittings. I should've realized this before I ever started but somehow I missed that. So I found a can of white primer in the garage with just enough paint in it to coat the 4 handles. The green should cover them nicely after this.

IMG_8974.PNG

IMG_8975.PNG

Now I will say that after about 5 coats on the fittings, its still not where I would like it to be. This paint is actually a matte finish and it has a rough texture. I was able to sand lightly after they had dried and smoothed a lot of it out, I need to pick up one more can of the paint just to do a couple more coats to hopefully even everything out, then I plan to hit it with a heavy coat or 2 of high gloss clear coat to seal it all and give it the POP Im looking for. Not bad so far, but I think it will be better once Im done.

IMG_8970.JPG

IMG_8969.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back