Bubba's SPS Journey

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your media moist, I know they say put a teaspoon of water in the reactor but my humidity is crazy low in the aprt right now so I’m afraid that won’t work for long and I hear the media gets used up fast if you run really dry air through it.

I heard someone say they put the input hose into their skimmer cup to draw that air since it should be very moist. I’m considering this or creating a little reactor to put in the input that draws air through water first to add moisture to it.

Yeah, that's how Bubba does it. I learned from him and set up one the same way on my tank. It's ridiculous how long the media lasts set up this way. I'm at one month and I've only used up half the media! I'm running a standard BRS C02 reactor on about 89g total water volume.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's how Bubba does it. I learned from him and set up one the same way on my tank. It's ridiculous how long the media lasts set up this way. I'm at one month and I've only used up half the media! I'm running a standard BRS C02 reactor on about 89g total water volume.

Lol I probably read the skimmer thing here then. I have a really bad CO2 issue as I live above a busy bar and with winter here they run propane heaters and I have a gas furnace so a lot of CO2 being created. Right now if I don’t do anything my PH will drop to 7.55. Since I realized how low my ph has been getting I’ve been running my fuge 24/7 which has kept the low to about 7.7.

I’m assuming the CO2 media will be used up fast in this situation so anything I can do to prolong it will be a plus.

Good thing is once summer comes I can open up the big 16’ tall windows and get tons a fresh air in.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that works really well is to use a 3rd reactor or a container or bottle that is filled with water.

Skimmer head > water filled reactor > double co2 media reactor.

This really prolongs the life of the media :)

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I probably read the skimmer thing here then. I have a really bad CO2 issue as I live above a busy bar and with winter here they run propane heaters and I have a gas furnace so a lot of CO2 being created. Right now if I don’t do anything my PH will drop to 7.55. Since I realized how low my ph has been getting I’ve been running my fuge 24/7 which has kept the low to about 7.7.

I’m assuming the CO2 media will be used up fast in this situation so anything I can do to prolong it will be a plus.

Good thing is once summer comes I can open up the big 16’ tall windows and get tons a fresh air in.

I was dropping to about 7.65 overnight and now I don't drop to less than 8.0. Highs vary, but roughly around 8.3. Test every day when you first set it up though as your Alk/Cal consumption will explode. After a week or so, it calms down and levels out, but will end up quite a bit higher than pre-reactor.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe ph makes a difference. Over on Neptune’s YouTube page last month they put out a video with Richard Ross and I guess he works at some coral research place now and he said if there is one thing that can increase coral growth it’s a high ph.

I will make a quick video of how mine is setup when I get home.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that’s also if your tank is doing well. If you are struggling to keep corals alive then I doubt ph is going to do anything for you.

I agree completely with this. My tank had the coral growing fast and then winter cane and I buttoned up the place and growth has stopped. The corals actually look fine (maybe a little less polyp extension than I would like) but good colors just no growth. Since I turned my fuge in 24/7 a couple days ago my alk has started to drop (more consumption) and that is only getting my ph to about 7.95, with the scrubber I would expect even more. I was really confused as to why things weren’t growing as everything else was in great shape.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it also makes a difference for certain "high maintenance" corals. I picked up a BC Snipers blue right around the time of the contest (just missed out on the contest) and it was doing well right up until we started closing up the house due to winter rains/cold. Ph dropped and the Snipers looked terrible for a couple months. I actually thought at one point it was a goner. I put the scrubber on and within a few weeks it started to turn around. It's encrusting again and showing great PE. I didn't notice a difference with my other acros other than (IMO) an increase in speed of growth. But for the Snipers, pH made a huge difference!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, ph is important to me. My tank exploded with growth when I raised my ph so I try and keep it as high as possible. I use a co2 scrubber and kalk to try and keep it high.

I don’t worry about the swing too much as there isn’t anything I can do about it. My ph swings from 7.95 to 8.38 on a daily basis.
3DC55455-E265-47F8-B30A-17043C9E628B.png
Still using Kalk ey? In your topoff I assume?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back