Bubba's SPS Journey

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned through setting up this new tank that tank maturity doesn't matter.

Just trying to make sure I'm reading this right. You feel as long as a tank is cycled, and has a bit of nutrients you can do SPS right off the bat?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to make sure I'm reading this right. You feel as long as a tank is cycled, and has a bit of nutrients you can do SPS right off the bat?
I did just that. Tank wasn't even really cycled. I added bottled bacteria, fish and a day or two later I added my first corals. I fed a ton of frozen just to make sure there were nutrients. I did have color lose but corals are healthy and growing. Colors are starting to come in strong now and I couldn't be happier with the direction the tank is going.

Most new hobbiest start their tanks running gfo and doing everything they can to keep nutrients at 0. That is the mistake people make and what I believe causes the myth of new tanks can not support corals.

They barely feed because they are scared of algae so everything staves and dies. I don't have a spot of algae anywhere in my tank but I have massive snails that would take care of anything that tried to grow. If you look at tanks like @FarmerTy and watch how much he feeds you would be amazed. WWC feeds their tanks every hour. @Battlecorals has an article saying sps corals absorb so much nutrients that they alone will keep nutrients down. I think new hobbiest are starting to understand corals need nutrients so hopefully the myth of new tanks can not support corals will one day go away.

Here is Adams article if anyone wants to read it.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just that. Tank wasn't even really cycled. I added bottled bacteria, fish and a day or two later I added my first corals. I fed a ton of frozen just to make sure there were nutrients. I did have color lose but corals are healthy and growing. Colors are starting to come in strong now and I couldn't be happier with the direction the tank is going.

Most new hobbiest start their tanks running gfo and doing everything they can to keep nutrients at 0. That is the mistake people make and what I believe causes the myth of new tanks can not support corals.

They barely feed because they are scared of algae so everything staves and dies. I don't have a spot of algae anywhere in my tank but I have massive snails that would take care of anything that tried to grow. If you look at tanks like @FarmerTy and watch how much he feeds you would be amazed. WWC feeds their tanks every hour. @Battlecorals has an article saying sps corals absorb so much nutrients that they alone will keep nutrients down. I think new hobbiest are starting to understand corals need nutrients so hopefully the myth of new tanks can not support corals will one day go away.

I made that very mistake when I moved my 40B into a 150g-ish system. I was running gfo and sparsely feeding. I stripped what little nutrients I had in my tank to absolute zero and my coral took a hard hit. Most lost color or STN'd. I've since added several more fish, feed like a mad man, and even dose food grade potassium nitrate when my NO4 drops too low. Like you, I have zero algae and my corals are doing much, much better!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at tanks like @FarmerTy and watch how much he feeds you would be amazed. WWC feeds their tanks every hour. @Battlecorals has an article saying sps corals absorb so much nutrients that they alone will keep nutrients down. I think new hobbiest are starting to understand corals need nutrients so hopefully the myth of new tanks can not support corals will one day go away.

I love it a bit grubby and so do my corals, ulns should be old doctrine IMO! :)

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed your lead on my new tank and corals went in at day 8. I did transfer a couple rocks but that amounts to less than 25% of the total. So far so good, fingers crossed. Time will tell, colors are good on about half the SPS. Lps and softies look great. Thanks for giving me the info to try it this way!

fishead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job Bubba! Breaking new ground. Myself I always struggled in the must have zero nutrients days. In my current system I'm running alk around 8.5 and nitrates at 5-10 and everything is thriving - that is if I don't do something stoopid like throw fluconazole in there.

CJH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading 211 pages-great job on your tank! Tell me about your refugium- are you glad you removed it? How is your nutrient control coming along without it? Other than a skimmer are you doing anything to control like gfo? Are you going to start routine water changes again?

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have switched to Melafix Pond from Bayer. I just ordered a bottle. I have some acro frags in QT, from a reputable website, that came with some critters I haven't seen before. Bayer at 25 ml. per cup did not kill them so I'm hoping Melafix will do the trick. This will be the first time trying a new dip in years.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading 211 pages-great job on your tank! Tell me about your refugium- are you glad you removed it? How is your nutrient control coming along without it? Other than a skimmer are you doing anything to control like gfo? Are you going to start routine water changes again?
Its impressive people are still reading this whole thread!

So far I’m glad I removed the chaeto. It was another thing to maintain and would get the sump dirty. If my nutrients got to a level I didn’t like I’d probably start using it again but I hope I don’t have to. No I don’t use gfo but if they got above .1 I’d probably use it to bring it down a little. I only am using a skimmer with the auto neck cleaner. I planned to do routine water changes from the start but I’ve only done it a couple times so far. I now have 5 boxes of salt sitting in the garage so I need to get on it, lol.

I see you have switched to Melafix Pond from Bayer. I just ordered a bottle. I have some acro frags in QT, from a reputable website, that came with some critters I haven't seen before. Bayer at 25 ml. per cup did not kill them so I'm hoping Melafix will do the trick. This will be the first time trying a new dip in years.
I actually went back to bayer after having an issue once when I dipped with Melafix. I do use a slightly stronger dip of bayer than you use without issue so maybe give that a try. I’m using 35 ml per cup.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went back to bayer after having an issue once when I dipped with Melafix. I do use a slightly stronger dip of bayer than you use without issue so maybe give that a try. I’m using 35 ml per cup.

How many minutes? As I recall, didn’t you previously use 15ml per 1/2 cup for 10 minutes? I remember because I was using 10ml per 1/2 cup for 15 minutes and I was curious about the performance difference.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many minutes? As I recall, didn’t you previously use 15ml per 1/2 cup for 10 minutes? I remember because I was using 10ml per 1/2 cup for 15 minutes and I was curious about the performance difference.
I went with a stronger dose after a friend told me he uses one ounce of bayer per cup and has no issues. I still do it for 10 mins. I also talked to farmerty and he believes his bayer dip is even stronger but hasn't officially measure it.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then again, your experience and skill set help in your success, brotha. I think many of us can learn from you and others like therman, farmerty, etc. your new tank is living proof it can be done, if you know what you’re doing.

I don’t mind the algae in my tank, and I like to feed heavy too!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this tiny piece from a buddy several months ago and at the time he didn't really want to cut it but I was happy to just get a piece. He bought it as MattV Rainbow envy but it doesn't look like any others I have seen and doesn't look like the one I have. Whatever it is it's really nice.

This is his pic of his colony
203E9AE3-8842-429E-934F-207DDF9E7276.jpeg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank turned 3 months old a couple days ago and it’s really starting to find it’s happy place. For the first time my chromis are breeding and you can see all their eggs on the right glass. It’s weird they picked my glass cleaner and algae clip. My wife won’t let me clean the glass now even though I told her they won’t survive.

I have some jawbreaker mushrooms that don’t seem like they want to attach to rubble. I have them in that small container at the bottom of the pic. Any advice to get them to attach?

F982FDFD-1751-46A7-AD24-9BCCBEF5CC19.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back