bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS's are still open in Orlando?
Yes as they are considered essential since they feed your pets. I didn’t go into the actual TSA store though, even though you can. I called and asked if they had one and if it was eating. They said yes so I paid over the phone and when I got to the store I called and they walked it to the car.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you QT? I'm just wondering if I have to wait a month before I can see this fish chow down :D
Yes I normally qt but I only care about velvet, which has a much shorter qt time. This time though I took the gamble as I’m so over this algae. TSA has the fish in copper at a 2.5 level for almost the time I would qt. I know this basically means nothing but again I’m just so over this algae I want to see progress. It may end up being a huge mistake but I took the risk.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to get one for some bubble algae but my display is borderline too small and I already have a yellow tang in there :confused:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a magnificent today so fingers crossed. With the rocks scrubbed down so the algae is short I’m Hopeful.
Definitely keep us updated! Everyone is making me want to get a rabbitfish as well. I know Biota has some captive bred ones that I've had my eye on.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will for sure keep everyone updated. My powder blue tang didn’t give the rabbit fish a warm welcome so it’s trying to hide right now. I had to turn the lights off to get the tang to calm down. Hopefully the next couple days I’ll see if it actually eats it. I got a large one also hoping it has a big appetite.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the Magnificent. Not all rabbits are created equal... the kind matters, but this is not a topic on this thread. They have venomous spines, so they can hold their own quite well even against really aggressive fish. I would guess that it will be Ok tomorrow. It should take to some mysis or other meaty fare quite quickly.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba how’s your ro water? When’s the last time you sent in an ATI test? I’m thinking if the tank is clean of detritus buildup this could be a possible problem. I had an ro issue only discovered from a water test. Good luck.

dson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while Bubba, corals still looking amazing i see with lots of growth. Hopefully you get a hold of this algae issue soon and hopefully we get over whats going on in the world so i can come get some more corals.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba how’s your ro water? When’s the last time you sent in an ATI test? I’m thinking if the tank is clean of detritus buildup this could be a possible problem. I had an ro issue only discovered from a water test. Good luck.
Rodi is 0 tds and I change out my filters before it even gets to 1 tds.

I truly think this all started by throwing my tank balance off when I removed the sand and added the denitrator as that’s when this started. Earlier in the tanks life I had higher nutrients and 0 algae but one I did those 2 things I had an explosion of algae.

I have sent out a couple icp test but I find the results super unreliable. I actually sent out two icp test on the same day to show people how two test sent out the same day can show totally different results but somehow they lost one of the test so that never happened. I still have a couple more test in the closest so maybe I’ll send them out same day again.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that worked for me was scrubbing my rocks with a stiff brush in a bucket of tank water. I scrubbed around corals. I had to do a couple rocks a few times. Total pain. But it worked.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a difference between this green turf algae and other pest algae’s. Algae eating fish find it totally unpalatable. It’s near indestructible.

Does anyone have experience with these rabbits specifically eating green turf algae? This algae is not like others.

The only thing that the forum has found that eats green turf algae are the pincushion urchins, and sometimes Mexican turbos and emerald crabs. So if this rabbit chows down it’s a big W for the forums.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see the algae.

I’m suprised that the urchins aren’t at least putting a dent in it. I had three rock boring urchins in my last tank and never saw a speck of algae.

I know everyone has an opinion...personally I would think Mexican snails would be the best at this job. IME they either die rite away or mow down everything.

htownguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also battled this indestructible turf algae. It flared up when I upgraded my tank. It was growing on the new rock I had put in and nothing would touch it. rabbit fish, tangs, urchins, hermits, seaslugs and every type of snail under the sun. After a year of this loosing battle I finally gave in and used flux rx. I saw you had a bad experience with it bubba and so did I lol. My SPS hated it and I lost around 6 of my smaller new acros. But it killed everything that was green in my system. One thing I did notice though was the day after the first dose everything started eating the algae. It made it palatable to them and they had a feast. If I had to do it over again I would do a quarter dose just to see if it would weaken the algae enough to be eaten. Just sharing my experience with the green devil. Good Luck!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also battled this indestructible turf algae. It flared up when I upgraded my tank. It was growing on the new rock I had put in and nothing would touch it. rabbit fish, tangs, urchins, hermits, seaslugs and every type of snail under the sun. After a year of this loosing battle I finally gave in and used flux rx. I saw you had a bad experience with it bubba and so did I lol. My SPS hated it and I lost around 6 of my smaller new acros. But it killed everything that was green in my system. One thing I did notice though was the day after the first dose everything started eating the algae. It made it palatable to them and they had a feast. If I had to do it over again I would do a quarter dose just to see if it would weaken the algae enough to be eaten. Just sharing my experience with the green devil. Good Luck!

Not to derail into a fluconazole discussion, but the single bad fluc event I witnessed took out every SPS colony with a hint of GREEN pigment in it. Unless it was shaded out.

htownguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I could definitely see that happening. Like I said my sps where not happy and I lost a bunch. Colors are just returning after 2 months. It got so bad to where the algae was snuffing out the bases of my acros and they where stn'ing so I figured try this or rip out the rock. If I had read what you experienced I probably wouldn't have tried it haha.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I seen the magnificent rabbit fish take a few bites of the algae and I got all excited that I found one that ate it. It hasn’t touched it since. Must of realized it was gross, lol.

Sorry to see the algae.

I’m suprised that the urchins aren’t at least putting a dent in it. I had three rock boring urchins in my last tank and never saw a speck of algae.

I know everyone has an opinion...personally I would think Mexican snails would be the best at this job. IME they either die rite away or mow down everything.
I am bare bottom so the urchins prefer staying on the bottom and on the back glass. Don’t get me wrong some are on the rocks but not quit making the dent as I hoped.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used Fluconazole, but have heard the anecdotal reports of it possibly making the algae taste better to herbiverous fish.

If you've already had a bad experience with it, I'd be inclined to stay away from it. I would stay the course with your Magnificent Rabbit and start considering Vibrant. It will probably take time to get things back under control, but if you're going SPS like you are......you'll be able to beat this.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back