Bubba's SPS Journey

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have used peroxide before and have you tried it as a spot treatment? No flow and just put your daily max in a syringe to place it on the infected areas everyday. It’ll break down some of the enzymes that are bitter and the cuc will usually destroy it.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have used peroxide before and have you tried it as a spot treatment? No flow and just put your daily max in a syringe to place it on the infected areas everyday. It’ll break down some of the enzymes that are bitter and the cuc will usually destroy it.
Yes someone gave me the advice to do it in a pm a couple days ago. I gave it a try with all flow off and let it sit for 15 mins. I seen the algae bubbling but two days later it still looks fine. I’m going to try again today.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes someone gave me the advice to do it in a pm a couple days ago. I gave it a try with all flow off and let it sit for 15 mins. I seen the algae bubbling but two days later it still looks fine. I’m going to try again today.
I think turf algae will take repeated applications. I take my rock out and dump it on and after a couple of weeks it sprouts back up.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to ReefTopia and get you 30-50 of the pincushions. You need a full platoon and not just a unit of them. Any less and they just take their sweet little time just to mock you. You can give them away when they mow it down in a few months... or they can stick around and keep your coralline in check. The urchins are not effective if you let your N or P rise too much... does not have to be at NSW, but cannot be too high either. If the N and P gets too high, they just really seem to slow down - if it gets really high, they will die. IMO, snails are a joke for a job like this. Fun fact, but these can live to be more than 100 years old, I guess. Other than moving around frags, they are my favorite algae eaters, are cheap at hardy.

Reeftopia is an under rated site. I have been using them every so often since I got in the game almost 15 years ago. Direct from diver site.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive used fluconazole before with good results. wiped out all my gha and turf but took a good month. I saw no loss of my sps. I currently was getting some turf algae in my frag system and have added another dose of it about 2 weeks ago. All my corals are looking great. I haven't noticed any damage to the turf yet but I did a through cleaning the other day and it pulled off easily. My friend Brian who runs lazy's coral house also uses it with no bad effects. Anytime his frag racks start looking bad he adds it and it cleans up his system great. Everyone's system is different though, I have used a sulfur reactor for years and have never had an issue from it, even when the effluent smelled of sulfur so bad my wife complained. Good luck and Im sure you will beat it.
Jeff

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to be mostly free of algae soon. I took JDA’s advice and ordered an army of urchins. Wednesday I should have 28 more coming to make it a total of 40 urchins. Once it’s gone I’ll trade some in to the lfs. I also scraped my back glass free of coralline algae to motivate them to stay on the rocks.

The magnificent horseface is still a dud.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those variegatus urchins are voracious eaters........you're going to be giving a lot of them away.
Two can keep a 48x24 tank clean. You do still need some snails and fish that will eat it because they get much closer to the algae coral interface.

Years ago there was a long thread on rabbit fish and Foxfaces and the Siganus doliatus was the best of all the pest algae eaters. They were the most reliable while others were hit and miss.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to be mostly free of algae soon. I took JDA’s advice and ordered an army of urchins. Wednesday I should have 28 more coming to make it a total of 40 urchins. Once it’s gone I’ll trade some in to the lfs. I also scraped my back glass free of coralline algae to motivate them to stay on the rocks.

The magnificent horseface is still a dud.
What kind of urchins did you go with I'm curious?

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

urchin.jpg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones I bought.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Bubba. If they start taking it down for you I will try my hand at one. I have the blue tuxedos and they go for it a little but the turf algae keeps the upper hand unless I knock it back with peroxide.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I may pick up a 4-pack myself.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back