Bubba's SPS Journey

Gudhjem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really impressive body of work here Bubba. 269 pages. It took me a few weeks, but I just finished reading through from the start, and enjoyed every page. Your corals and pics are an inspiration. Thanks for posting.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want you guys to be jealous....but one of the perks of moving to Florida is that I was able to visit TSA and meet Bubba! :)

I'm sure anyone following this thread has gotten the sense that Bubba is a real nice guy....and meeting him in person certainly confirmed that! (It is no wonder that a young, new worker that I met there had nothing but wonderful things to say about him!) Not only did Bubba give me a tour of TSA but he gave me a lot of photography tips. I'm sure he won't mind if I share some of these tips with everyone. (That way there will be fewer people like me bugging him with questions!)

A lot of this has been already mentioned in previous posts, but hopefully this will be of interest:

-Canon EOS R camera
-100 mm Macro L series (Canon) for frags; 60mm for colonies
-Lookdown tube by Building an Obsession. Bubba said he takes all his shots with this. This was most helpful to me since I have foolishly been trying to photograph frags thru the glass using a tripod!
- ISO: about 1000
-Speed: about 100
-Aperture: about 9-10
-No RAW developing; uses White Balancing

I jokingly said to him that after over 250 pages in his thread, there are no pictures of him! I asked if I could take a picture to show everyone and he obliged! When I mentioned that the picture (from my camera phone) will be very blue he gave me a filter to clip on my phone.....but as you can see from the picture below, it must have been the wrong filter! LOL

Thanks again, Bubba, for the time you spent with me! That was my favorite highlight of the first 10 weeks I've spent in Florida so far! Much appreciated!!

Bubba.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want you guys to be jealous....but one of the perks of moving to Florida is that I was able to visit TSA and meet Bubba! :)

I'm sure anyone following this thread has gotten the sense that Bubba is a real nice guy....and meeting him in person certainly confirmed that! (It is no wonder that a young, new worker that I met there had nothing but wonderful things to say about him!) Not only did Bubba give me a tour of TSA but he gave me a lot of photography tips. I'm sure he won't mind if I share some of these tips with everyone. (That way there will be fewer people like me bugging him with questions!)

A lot of this has been already mentioned in previous posts, but hopefully this will be of interest:

-Canon EOS R camera
-100 mm Macro L series (Canon) for frags; 60mm for colonies
-Lookdown tube by Building an Obsession. Bubba said he takes all his shots with this. This was most helpful to me since I have foolishly been trying to photograph frags thru the glass using a tripod!
- ISO: about 1000
-Speed: about 100
-Aperture: about 9-10
-No RAW developing; uses White Balancing

I jokingly said to him that after over 250 pages in his thread, there are no pictures of him! I asked if I could take a picture to show everyone and he obliged! When I mentioned that the picture (from my camera phone) will be very blue he gave me a filter to clip on my phone.....but as you can see from the picture below, it must have been the wrong filter! LOL

Thanks again, Bubba, for the time you spent with me! That was my favorite highlight of the first 10 weeks I've spent in Florida so far! Much appreciated!!

Bubba.jpg
Hmmm…..no PE or pink tips

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I do not post too often anymore but I figured I would pop in and drop a pic.

I do not feel like I see this one too much but it's a looker.

Cricket Spine

img
Always glad to see you when you drop in, sir! Don't be a stranger!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I do not post too often anymore but I figured I would pop in and drop a pic.

I do not feel like I see this one too much but it's a looker.

Cricket Spine

img

Same here, just slightly coming back on now and again. Glad you're doing well bubba!

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are those colony shots Bubba!!??

We need you more than TSA does.
I still don't understand how TSA's signature colonies page is so short on all of the colonies they have. You'd think when asking top of market prices for nubs that you'd want to show people what they're getting.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, just slightly coming back on now and again. Glad you're doing well bubba!
Same to you! Was sad to see you leave a while again but happy to see you again.
Welcome back…..to the both of you
Don't get carried away, lol. You know I only pop in for a pic or two haha.
I still don't understand how TSA's signature colonies page is so short on all of the colonies they have. You'd think when asking top of market prices for nubs that you'd want to show people what they're getting.
What colony would you like a pic of? I am sure I can squeeze it in my day to try and get it done.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSA Bill Murray is one of the hardiest corals around and grows insanely fast. I am sure for the people who have it know what I am talking about. I think it could grow in a toilet and somehow still look good.

TSA Bill Murray

51832930478_af8d135b27_k.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same to you! Was sad to see you leave a while again but happy to see you again.

I'm just barely getting back in. I'm actually going through a move now. It's gonna require some help with my injury to get the tank moved, and a lot more to help setup lol.

Hows the tank doing overall? That TSA piece says you're doing well haha

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your top 5 of the tsa sig pieces?

That’s a tough one. I do love tenuis so most are those.

TSA Taj Mahal - really nice granulosa

TSA Bioshock - This tenuis looks good even in “white” light but even better under blues. When you google this one it no longer looks like that picture. I will add a picture below of it.

TSA Rocky Balboa - I remember when I first started working at TSA I messaged all my coral buddies and said this coral was going to be really nice. It was a frag at the time but now a colony and looks amazing. This one does need blue light to really shine though.

TSA Circus Freak - Been around awhile so I am sure people have some colonies out there. I have a frag of this one growing that looks pretty good. It's the pinks that sell me on this one.

Last there is a new one that is coming out soon. It doesn't have a name yet. I will post a phone picture they posted on TSA IG a few days ago. I bought a frag of this one a month or so ago that is looking great.

I'm just barely getting back in. I'm actually going through a move now. It's gonna require some help with my injury to get the tank moved, and a lot more to help setup lol.

Hows the tank doing overall? That TSA piece says you're doing well haha
I read about your injury and it sounds terrible!

Tank is doing well right now but since I started working I didn't pay attention to it the same as when I was staying at home. I would go days without feeding and coral would get pale, then I would over feed trying to correct it. Nutrients fluctuated always and was constantly high for a while but finally got it under control. I couldn't grow chato to save my life but I switched to Pom Pom algae and it seems to suck up nutrients just like chaeto and has stayed nice and clean. I am happy with how the tank is doing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back