Bubba's SPS Journey

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but the green in this one made it look grafted, which I don't think you see too often.
I remember you saying it looks best in low par, so I have moved it around a couple times to try and find a good spot. The t5 tank just has too much par and it was turning it into a pink color. I now have it in tucked into the corner of the radion tank getting 250 par. With moving it to that lowest par spot I could find, it's getting that dark red color again.

Yeah, my mother is a good pink at 450 par. I need to move her soon! 150-200 par got me that grafted look... Keep looking for a good spot Bubba! You'll get that grafted look again!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TSA Daydream has lost it's pink and turned solid red with little blue in the base. I am wondering if it needs lower par to show the pink and blue.
TSA Daydream Aug 3.jpg

TSA daydream oct 8.jpg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba that’s a cool looking frag
I wonder why some of the polops are blue and some pink/red
I have no idea. The original frag I got looked like their colony pic but over time it for sure has changed color. I don't even see the red polyps on their colony pic. Hopefully overtime I will get the blue body again with pink around the corallites.

This is their pic.
TSa pic of daydream.jpg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this RCA Baton Rouge from @FarmerTy a couple months ago. I am really sad to see I am losing the green streaks that made it look grafted. The color is a shade of red I haven't seen before and I am really liking it.

I want these green streaks back!!
Baton Rouge Aug 16.jpg

Baton Rouge October 7.jpg
@FarmerTy I can't seem to get away from this thing! Pops up everywhere!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your T5 fixture, above the waterline? I am always undecided about whether I am cooking away the colors of my acros with my 8 bulb fixture.

Blame the fixture for bad colors, always! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your T5 fixture, above the waterline? I am always undecided about whether I am cooking away the colors of my acros with my 8 bulb fixture.

Blame the fixture for bad colors, always! :D
That frag is in my frag tank under the t5's. The coral is in about 8" of water but the t5's are 20" off the water.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That frag is in my frag tank under the t5's. The coral is in about 8" of water but the t5's are 20" off the water.

Jeez my T5s are like 6” above the water, then corals start 6” below that. Definitely cooking them.... maybe that’s why my color is nada compared to yours? Lol

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez my T5s are like 6” above the water, then corals start 6” below that. Definitely cooking them.... maybe that’s why my color is nada compared to yours? Lol
Woah, that is a lot of light! On my 24" deep tank I have the 8 bulb t5 fixture 11" off the water and I still get 325 par on the sand.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, that is a lot of light! On my 24" deep tank I have the 8 bulb t5 fixture 11" off the water and I still get 325 par on the sand.

Wish I had a par meter to get real numbers! Okay, just raised it from 5” above the waterline to 9” above the water line.

No wonder most of my acros have stunted growth tips. Duh. I feel stupid ✌

Here is 9” above water line. Before. The light was 4” above the rim, or ~5.5 above water line.

I’ll keep it at this height for a couple months and see if I get growth again, and better color.

Edit: no wonder my plating montipora always grew DOWN :confused:

yLZflLG.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had a par meter to get real numbers! Okay, just raised it from 5” above the waterline to 9” above the water line.

No wonder most of my acros have stunted growth tips. Duh. I feel stupid ✌

Here is 9” above water line. Before. The light was 4” above the rim, or ~5.5 above water line.

I’ll keep it at this height for a couple months and see if I get growth again, and better color.

Edit: no wonder my plating montipora always grew DOWN :confused:

yLZflLG.jpg
Nice tank!! It looks like you are getting good growth. You would be amazed by how much par an 8 bulb ati fixture puts out. I think 9" is a good start and see how things react.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!! It looks like you are getting good growth. You would be amazed by how much par an 8 bulb ati fixture puts out. I think 9" is a good start and see how things react.

I think the issue started in August, when I swapped my 6 bulb fixture for an 8 bulb fixture. I just compared a photo of them to now, and there is like no growth!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue started in August, when I swapped my 6 bulb fixture for an 8 bulb fixture. I just compared a photo of them to now, and there is like no growth!
I remember the BRS video recommended 9" off the water with a 6 bulb fixture on a 120 gallon tank. You were cooking them with an 8 bulb that close. :eek:

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RRC Pink Caddy has to be one of the fastest growing corals I have ever had. Due to bad coral placement I decided to remove it and a PC rainbow that was growing in that side of my tank to give room to some others.

I turned my colony into large frags, lol.
RRC Pink caddy top down.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RRC Pink Caddy has to be one of the fastest growing corals I have ever had. Due to bad coral placement I decided to remove it and a PC rainbow that I had duplicates of that was growing in that side of my tank to give room to some others.

I turned my colony into large frags, lol.
RRC Pink caddy top down.jpg
Same! It's such a fast grower.. Even if you start with a 1/2" nub. That's a pretty field of Caddy there sir!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ You've got a small fortune there.
Not with my incredible prices, lol!

I added my first nub a couple weeks ago. We'll see what happens
You will have a colony in no time! I started with a small frag in February and it turned into a nice sized colony pretty fast. I even cut mine a few times since I had it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back