Bubba's SPS Journey

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local near me has a colony of Infidel, it’s nice but no where near as bright and nice as Acrolandia. The price reflects their comparison.
Thank you! I had a feeling it wasn't, but some of those pictures sure are tempting.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your ARC Ultra Milli coming? What's the trick to pulling the greens? Mine is growing nicely, but just solid pink for now.
Lol I'm pretty sure I say that to almost every pic bubba posts, "Man bubba how do you pull that color out of that one?"

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your ARC Ultra Milli coming? What's the trick to pulling the greens? Mine is growing nicely, but just solid pink for now.
I know people don’t like to hear it but I truly think it’s the LED’s. I have used metal halides, t5’s and led’s but it wasn’t until I switched to LED is when I seen a real change. I use to send videos to Farmerty showing him how my corals were morphing color under the leds. I am a firm believer LED pulls color that other lighting can not.

When the Ultra Milli was under t5 it was solid pink with tiny bit of green deep down. I moved it to my radion tank and that’s when the green came. I know you use T5 and I’m not saying it won’t get the green (I hope it does) but it just didn’t for me.

Here is a post about it and when it started to change.

2A22A30A-4C9F-4394-83E5-FBAC3A00731A.png

This was it under T5,all pink.
3E50DFBC-4779-4E01-83B5-F25EF804A823.jpeg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very interesting. I wonder if it could have anything to do with a bit of shading due to less uniform coverage under the Radions? Maybe I’ll try a lower PAR spot. Right now it’s on my rack so super high PAR getting blasted.
I’m not sure it’s a shading issue as my new frag is up high and in the middle of the tank and has green polyps throughout the whole frag. Par is 450 in that area.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure it’s a shading issue as my new frag is up high and in the middle of the tank and has green polyps throughout the whole frag. Par is 450 in that area.
That’s not what I wanted to hear! ;Woot

I’ve been trying to talk myself out of setting up another frag rack in my sump with an XR15...now I might have to.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not what I wanted to hear! ;Woot

I’ve been trying to talk myself out of setting up another frag rack in my sump with an XR15...now I might have to.
It is worth a try. Will give you the results to see the difference since it’s the same water.

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same as you with LEDs pulling the best color. I still run a mixed reef with halides and the sps grows at least twice as fast in there compared to my tank with led, but the color is not nearly as saturated as my tank with sps growing under LEDs. Halides are also great for keeping the base/trunk of big sps colonies to continue to keep growing flesh and getting fat vs leds seem to not have the dispersion to keep the stuff under that overhang growing. Adding t5 supplementation to the LEDs helped me get this light to spread out and to get more light underneath the big pieces. I’d rather have the pretty colors than sps that I have to trim all the time.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people don’t like to hear it but I truly think it’s the LED’s. I have used metal halides, t5’s and led’s but it wasn’t until I switched to LED is when I seen a real change. I use to send videos to Farmerty showing him how my corals were morphing color under the leds. I am a firm believer LED pulls color that other lighting can not.

When the Ultra Milli was under t5 it was solid pink with tiny bit of green deep down. I moved it to my radion tank and that’s when the green came. I know you use T5 and I’m not saying it won’t get the green (I hope it does) but it just didn’t for me.

Do you think it could have anything to do with the growth? I know with some pieces you don't really get the full multicolors until it grows out a bit.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it could have anything to do with the growth? I know with some pieces you don't really get the full multicolors until it grows out a bit.
That's definitely true of most acros, but based on those pics from Bubba (both grown out), it doesn't appear to be the case with this acro. But I'm staying optimistic!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals for sure show different colors as they get colony size but the ultra milli that I just got back is 1.5” and has the teal polyps that I didn’t have under t5.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thinking along the lines of the “was it just the growth?” argument, you could try two things:
First, move the colony back to the T5’s and see if the greens go away
Second, frag off a few pieces, putting one frag under t5 and one frag under LED, see if the greens stay or go away in one or both frags.
Interesting observation either way

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an excerpt from some notes I took

Reef LED science

“corals respond best to wavelengths between 400-550 nanometers and 620-700 nanometers” -

“Corals found in shallow reefs and tide pools receive a greater portion of the light spectrum and intensity of natural sunlight because there is not enough water to significantly filter the light (water absorbs certain wavelengths of light more readily than others). Blue light penetrates the deepest and that is why the water appears bluish at deeper depths. Corals found in deeper parts of the reef depend on more of the blue spectrum and less intense light.”

orphek-DIF-XP.jpeg

https://orphek.com/about/about-corals/

Spectrum20Nodes.jpeg

“The cross point of Chlorophyll A and C is 447nm, that is where Zooxanthallae are most efficient. We hit it very hard. Also note 420nm is where Chlorophyll A peaks and we hit that hard as well.”

“note 420nm is a trigger wavelength that tricks corals into thinking they are in shallower water, resulting in development of more protective pigment "Color". Note we don't hit the 470nm peak of Chlorophyll C as hard, there is a valid reason for this. Chlorophyll C saturates at a lower photon energy, and has a much lower density in most typical corals than Chlorophyll A. This means adding more energy there adds no value after a point.”

“cartenoids absorb the 490nm wavelength and convert the energy into a source the chloroplast can better use.”

“We also hit the 660nm peaks of Chlorophyll A&C. Finally we have 395nm True UV, which not only adds to coral flourescence, but development of protective color pigments by again tricking the coral into thinking it's in shallower water.”

“For our white channel, we have just enough green and yellow for aesthetics, with the bulk of diodes in the 14K range. We also have 20K diodes, something no other black box has. This provides for a crisp white with hints of blue.”

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-nano-reeffuge/7-sbox-sprite-reef-nano.html

Reef-Output-Plot-768x551.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%

Back