Bubble tip anemone help.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to youtube and put in "Bob Fenner anemone 2017" . About half way thru he talks about feeding(around 24 minute mark). I do what he says. So I'm feeding a new to me anemone right after putting it in my tank and every day for the first month. Then move to every other day(at least 4 feedings a week) for as long as I own it. A bleached anemone gets feed every day for months until it gets it "color" back.

I love how he says "fishes". I thought it was: look at that fish, look at those fish(not fishes).

My Nems thrive, and I feed them dried krill one time every few months. They are filter feeders and pick up most of what they need from the water column and off of hosting Clowns.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my alk is 16 dkh. When converted it's 286(ppm) or parts per million. This dose seem a little higher but as far as clowns goby and corals nothing seems bothered other than the nem. Now is my alk to high for the nem and if so how do I lower it. Thanks @Cabinetman @CCauthers

Corals need Calcium and Carbonate to grow. Over time, these numbers go down as they are consumed.

Do you have any corals in your tank. Depending on what you have, your ALK consumption rate may be less then what you replenish through water changes, and explain why the number is so high.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nems thrive, and I feed them dried krill one time every few months. They are filter feeders and pick up most of what they need from the water column and off of hosting Clowns.
[/QUOTES]

Only every 2 months? Hey so works for you I could work for me! @Dom thank you

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need Calcium and Carbonate to grow. Over time, these numbers go down as they are consumed.

Do you have any corals in your tank. Depending on what you have, your ALK consumption rate may be less then what you replenish through water changes.

I have 2 hammers with 2 heads, 1 hammer with 4 almost 5, and montipora which is growing great.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im reading up on"how to lower alkalinity" so far I've found 3 ways. If you have tried any of these ways I would like to know how it went. Here are the following:

1. Wait and let corals consume access alk. (Since my alkalinity is so high Im going to pass.)
  2. Water changes 25% or 20% water changes everyday can lower your alkalinity.
  3. White vinegar apparently lowers alkalinity instantly. Although your pH will suffer by going down. (Is this safe to use?)

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. Nems can have problems when fed too much or too big as digestion at 70-80 degrees can take a while. Yours looks ok color wise. I'd give it some time to adjust and feed no more than once every couple of weeks and smaller sizes. Nems don't really need to be directly fed. These are going on 3 years with no direct feeding. Went from 4 to 10. Two largest are 9" plus.
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

+1

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t know why people feel they need to feed rbta’s. About 1 1/2 years ago my buddy gave me 1/2 dozen of them when I first started my tank as testers to see if my tank would handle coral. In my opinion rbta are about as tough as they get and are hard to kill lol. If they don’t live usually nothing will lol. Anyway. Fast forward 6 months and those 6 nems covered a huge rock pile in my 560 gallon. When i finally decided I had enough of them I took out 96 of them. They were huge ones too not little tiny things. And I never directly fed them once. Provide good clean water with decent parameters and lots of light and these things will multiply like crazy. This is an old pic I found but they got to cover the rock pile more than this before I removed them all. They were starting to release and float around the tank to try to find a bare patch. They would have taken over the tank in no time....let us know what you get for a dkh using another kit. I don’t doubt one bit that if it’s acurate that’s your problem. Or you’re feeding it is causing problems. I’d stop right away..I can remember way back getting my first rbta thinking I needed to feed it and I used too quite frequently and it died on me. I know now I definitely over fed it. I should’ve just let it do it’s thing and grow from light. You’ll have healthier anenomes.

C7D2A1A3-AC44-4F4A-9528-C85ABE6A0E09.png

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t know why people feel they need to feed rbta’s. About 1 1/2 years ago my buddy gave me 1/2 dozen of them when I first started my tank as testers to see if my tank would handle coral. In my opinion rbta are about as tough as they get and are hard to kill lol. If they don’t live usually nothing will lol. Anyway. Fast forward 6 months and those 6 nems covered a huge rock pile in my 560 gallon. When i finally decided I had enough of them I took out 96 of them. They were huge ones too not little tiny things. And I never directly fed them once. Provide good clean water with decent parameters and lots of light and these things will multiply like crazy. This is an old pic I found but they got to cover the rock pile more than this before I removed them all. They were starting to release and float around the tank to try to find a bare patch. They would have taken over the tank in no time....let us know what you get for a dkh using another kit. I don’t doubt one bit that if it’s acurate that’s your problem. Or you’re feeding it is causing problems. I’d stop right away..I can remember way back getting my first rbta thinking I needed to feed it and I used too quite frequently and it died on me. I know now I definitely over fed it. I should’ve just let it do it’s thing and grow from light. You’ll have healthier anenomes.

C7D2A1A3-AC44-4F4A-9528-C85ABE6A0E09.png

Alright yeah speaking you had 96 of them and didn't direct feed I think I'll stop and see how that goes lol. I think I'll order the hanna alkalinity checker.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times did you test for KH? And are you putting the cap on the tube and mixing each drop accurately? If you just drop into that narrow tube and try to swish it doesn't fully mix. You need a larger beaker to do that. Also what type of salt are you using? Some have higher ALK levels than others.

As for your BTA problem I think you just need to give it time. The clowns hosting it are also rough on it.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times did you test for KH? And are you putting the cap on the tube and mixing each drop accurately? If you just drop into that narrow tube and try to swish it doesn't fully mix. You need a larger beaker to do that. Also what type of salt are you using? Some have higher ALK levels than others.

As for your BTA problem I think you just need to give it time. The clowns hosting it are also rough on it.

Thanks for the response. I test everything including KH 3 days a week. When I text today I'll do as you say. I use instant ocean reef salt. Thank you again!

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright yeah speaking you had 96 of them and didn't direct feed I think I'll stop and see how that goes lol. I think I'll order the hanna alkalinity checker.
[/QUOTE]
I litterally couldn’t give them away at the end I flooded the local club so bad with them. It’s already going that way In my new set up too. And for any wondering my clowns don’t host them so they aren’t getting fed by them. Only filter feeding and light... and lots of blue light makes them bubble up if you’re wondering. The ones in the first pic were long and stringy in my buddies tank and within a few weeks in my tank under mostly only blue LEDs light they went right bubbly like this. They did last time too. Got a couple of cheap Chinese leds about 12” off the water with blue channel at 100% right above them and then There’s a 5’ 8 bulb ati fixture in the centre of my 10’ tank

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I litterally couldn’t give them away at the end I flooded the local club so bad with them. It’s already going that way In my new set up too. And for any wondering my clowns don’t host them so they aren’t getting fed by them. Only filter feeding and light... and lots of blue light makes them bubble up if you’re wondering. The ones in the first pic were long and stringy in my buddies tank and within a few weeks in my tank under mostly only blue LEDs light they went right bubbly like this. They did last time too. Got a couple of cheap Chinese leds about 12” off the water with blue channel at 100% right above them and then There’s a 5’ 8 bulb ati fixture in the centre of my 10’ tank
[/QUOTE]

Lol. I couldn't even imagine it. The blue light does interest me though once I lower my alkalinity to the proper levels I'll look more into this!

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited experience this means they are slowly dying. Wish I had better news but my only advice would be maybe take it to any expert or a good fish store to see if maybe they can salvage it.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is those same nems from the first pic before we litterally scraped them off a rock with a knife. Some were damaged pretty bad too but never lost one...point being, if your water is good they are hard to kill. Hard to believe they are the same nems as the first pic I posted eh lol. I like the way they look all bubbled up way better

226BA31F-5166-4790-B725-3E8EAAF138CB.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited experience this means they are slowly dying. Wish I had better news but my only advice would be maybe take it to any expert or a good fish store to see if maybe they can salvage it.

I sure hope this isn't the case. I'm going to correct my alkalinity, if that doesn't do anything in the following weeks and it's still kicking I'll probably have head to my lfs.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back