Bubble tip anemone not opening properly

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is Bubble tip anemone not opening properly!
4DEB4DFB-945E-49B9-A1B1-C4FFD7DD019A.jpeg

When I first got it, I put it on top of the rock and it opened fine, then it went under the rock like this, and has not opened all the way since. it has been doing this for around a week.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the assumption that water parameters are within acceptable ranges, I would let it be since it is able to move on its own and don't force it to other locations

I would just closely monitor and allow it to further acclimate to the system due to the possibility that it came from a system with drastically different parameters.

Note: I include PAR levels as one of those parameters.

Best of luck and hope it works out.

Upvote 0

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if by chance the system's parameters are known, would it be possible to have them posted to assist others with providing better advice?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if by chance the system's parameters are known, would it be possible to have them posted to assist others with providing better advice?
I have not tested my tank this week yet, I will do it tomorrow and get back to you

Upvote 0

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my bubble tip was about the most stressful time I've had while in this hobby.

As long as parameters and lighting is good. Leave it alone and it'll be fine. Don't stress over every little thing it does.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the assumption that water parameters are within acceptable ranges, I would let it be since it is able to move on its own and don't force it to other locations

I would just closely monitor and allow it to further acclimate to the system due to the possibility that it came from a system with drastically different parameters.

Note: I include PAR levels as one of those parameters.

Best of luck and hope it works out.
I also forgot to mention, that I have a hammer coral that is doing good, so I highly doubt that the perimeters could be the problem, I was thinking that it could be either the light or the flow but I am not sure.

Upvote 0

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much different did it look when you bought it? It looks bleached and the foot is brown. It also has a large number of small tentacles which is atypical for most bubble tips. It looks like it may have been wild collected and bleached.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters, tank age and lighting?

Upvote 0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention, that I have a hammer coral that is doing good, so I highly doubt that the perimeters could be the problem, I was thinking that it could be either the light or the flow but I am not sure.
That’s like saying my cow is eating grass so my tiger’s health issues are probably not food related.

You are welcome for the awesome analogy.

We all greatly generalize the definition of “good” and “correct” in this hobby. I will never understand why people think that a mixed tank is a compromise in difficulty between SPS and a soft coral tank. You’re trying to find a happy medium for creatures that all like different things.

Anemones do what they want and go where they want. There isn’t a lot you can do but leave it alone and hope it does what you want ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much different did it look when you bought it? It looks bleached and the foot is brown. It also has a large number of small tentacles which is atypical for most bubble tips. It looks like it may have been wild collected and bleached.
The colors were very similar, when I put it on the rock it was all the way open and it looked much larger than it looks on the photo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters, tank age and lighting?
I haven’t tested my tank this week yet, but the tank is around eight months old, all of the coral and fish are doing well. I have a nicrew 100 watt light. Which should be way more than enough for my 30 gallon tank, I don’t have it on max settings I have it on 1/5 white setting and 2/5 blue setting.
(Link on Amazon to light)
NICREW Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CK4NMSF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XCNCT9G8SW2RE9422R4C

Upvote 0

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will do that from time-to-time for no reason whatsoever. Mine did this for a while and my params were in-line (Alk 10 dKH, CA 450, MG 1250) Some say it's just before they evacuate waste (aka poop). Keep feeding it 1x/week. That poor clownfish looks like he's saying, "Dude! C'mon open up!"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors were identical, I don’t get how when I put it in the tank it opened up and looked totally fine then proceeded to move to a spot where it was not as open. I think my anemone is suicidal lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will do that from time-to-time for no reason whatsoever. Mine did this for a while and my params were in-line (Alk 10 dKH, CA 450, MG 1250) Some say it's just before they evacuate waste (aka poop). Keep feeding it 1x/week. That poor clownfish looks like he's saying, "Dude! C'mon open up!"
I know I feel bad for him

Upvote 0

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a joke about that last part, but it's not appropriate lol

Upvote 0

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors were identical, I don’t get how when I put it in the tank it opened up and looked totally fine then proceeded to move to a spot where it was not as open. I think my anemone is suicidal lol.
It's not suicidal, you bought an unhealthy anemone. Not trying to be rude but why would you buy it if it looked like that? Open or not it's clearly bleached. In the future I would recommend buying an aquacultured anemone, it will be much hardier and have much better colors. The going rate for a regular bubble tip from other reefers around me is usually around $30-45 and they have very high survival rates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not suicidal, you bought an unhealthy anemone. Not trying to be rude but why would you buy it if it looked like that? Open or not it's clearly bleached. In the future I would recommend buying an aquacultured anemone, it will be much hardier and have much better colors. The going rate for a regular bubble tip from other reefers around me is usually around $30-45 and they have very high survival rates.
Are you sure it is bleached, I purchased it at Petco, it just looks like it a blue color? Could I have bleached it?

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is bleached, I purchased it at Petco, it just looks like it a blue color? Could I have bleached it?
That is from the led lighting being blue, the anemone itself is definitely a bit bleached. Side note i have never seen a healthy anemone inside of a petco, probably better to buy anemone off someone on the forum, they split and people need to get rid of them for very cheap

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mikey0909

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is bleached, I purchased it at Petco, it just looks like it a blue color?
That is from the led lighting being blue, the anemone itself is definitely a bit bleached. Side note i have never seen a healthy anemone inside of a petco, probably better to buy anemone off someone on the forum, they split and people need to get rid of them for very cheap
Is there a way I can make it get better? I think it has gotten worse as I have kept it, could it be my lighting? Or would it not matter if it was moved into my tank from Petco?

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back