Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought everyone made their own rocks. :rolleyes:

beastium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul - made the idea of making my own rock a lot more tangible! Do you know any alternatives to the Sakrete mortar?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't. But you can buy Sakrete Mortor mix in a hardware store for like two bucks. Home Depot only sells large bags but I get very small bags of it. A typical rock only needs lite a cup or two of the stuff.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:DThat's true as I was also born before they had rocks.

Gloryofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also seed live sand into/onto your rocks as you build them for some texture as well as to seed live bacteria and possibly critters into the new structure you create! Just need to cure in salt water to keep some of it alive. There used to be a good site for diy live rock "garf.org" though it seems like they recently experienced a significant loss from their community, and their website is currently under construction. If you click a bit through some of their links, you can still get to their "aragacrete" how to. That stuff was old school to the max, but this mortar only idea seems a bit faster to get a good base for you other stuff to grow on. Maybe I can try to mix the two ideas and post some results pics!!! (PVC structures attach well to sand cast ones I'm sure, and adding aragonite/aquarium sand can only help with natural look and critter populations. The curing process in saltwater may require a separate tank and heater, but I have lots of Rubbermaids laying around, not to mention allllllll the adult beverages I can handle.) CHEERS and good luck y'all!!!!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These rocks are hollow so you can squirt live sand or anything you like in there. I leave them empty and they eventually fill with tube worms, pods and Godzilla Larvae

Desgada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing, my wife has been wanting to rockscape our aquarium with some specific types of rock. I will def be trying this. Do you ever do larger pieces than the ones shown?

I am designing an archway and I think I have one that will work really well with standard pipe and fittings, and a bit of glue gun help. Any tips? I will post my finished product if it works.

Thanks for the awesome guide.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I am gonna try this. good thing I reread this thread I was going to use a torch... yeah dont want to die burning PVC... now to find a heat gun.
this might sound like the dumbest question ever but anyone know the smallest OD of PVC I can find?
I am making hitching post for SH so I need it to be quite small like 1/4" 1/2" max.

anyone made this DIY branch rock? can you plz post pics of what you cam up with!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making hitching post for SH so I need it to be quite small like 1/4" 1/2" max.

Yes, it is very common. I have a bunch of it but if you go to Home Depot in the Plumbing aisle, it is used to hook up bathroom sinks. it comes in 18" lengths.

I would like to hear the story of Paris Hilton's dog. Just how do you know cement doesn't stick?

You wouldn't believe me.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it only comes in gray

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. This will be very handy as I am just now setting up my first reef, 120 gal drip reef tank. Posting so I can find this later and just on the offchance Paul wants to comment with his entertaining humor.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no room in this serious and austere hobby for humor.
But it's so cold outside I seen a chicken with a Cape-on :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building rock for many years and much of my tank is made of it. Never saw a problem or change in Ph

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 71 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%

Back