Build your own rock for practically free

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: How do you screw a flat piece of acrylic to a hollow pipe?

And no, I'm not a supermodel nor is this a knock-knock joke. ☃️

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: How do you screw a flat piece of acrylic to a hollow pipe?

And no, I'm not a supermodel nor is this a knock-knock joke. ☃️
You sound like a Supermodel.
You stick the screw through the acrylic and fill the bottom of the PVC pipe with glue gun glue, stick the screw in and have a glass of Merlot as it cools.

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mortar question for dummies: does it have to be a certain type of mortar? I see type N regular strength mortar mix. Will that work?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what kind of torch do you recommend for someone who's never used one before? Do Supermodels even use blow torches?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Quickcrete Mortar Mix. It's like 2 bucks for 5 lbs. Don't use any quicksetting cement or stuff with acrylic binders in it. This is the cheapest mortar there is and is for setting bricks.
I don't think a Supermodel could use a torch, it's probably a law. A Supermodel would use her hair drier and so should you, if you have a good one. I personally have no use for a hair drier.
If you feel you must use a propane torch, you have to do it outside with the wind blowing toward your Mother N Law. You would also need a bucket of water in case your Mother n Law is thirsty, but also because PVC goes on fire very easily and you need to put it out fast so you don't go running around looking for a fire extinguisher. A heat gun is safer and your hair drier may work. I don't like to talk about hair, it makes me sad.
Wear gloves if you are using mortar or you will be able to go on those commercials for the heartbreak of psoriasis. It will peel your skin. Not mine as I have real Man hands but if you have Supermodel hands, wear gloves.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome, (I don't know what type N Mortar is. )

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me either, I'm at work now so I was using Amazon app. The type n has me worried so I'll just go to Lowes and get the one u use that way I won't have to wonder if it's safe. I'll definitely use gloves. I'm not a super model but I'm sure my hands are just as fragile as theirs.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what kind of torch do you recommend for someone who's never used one before? Do Supermodels even use blow torches?

This might explain why Paul has no hair :eek: .....I would not put a torch to PVC!!! WARNING, burning PVC emits chlorine gas. When this gas comes in contact with water (your eyes, mouth and lungs) it immediately forms hydrochloric acid.....a very strong acid!!!!! Please do not use open flame on PVC. I'm not sure about a heat gun, but I'd do that with great caution...and outside the house.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Quickcrete Mortar Mix. It's like 2 bucks for 5 lbs. Don't use any quicksetting cement or stuff with acrylic binders in it. This is the cheapest mortar there is and is for setting bricks.
I don't think a Supermodel could use a torch, it's probably a law. A Supermodel would use her hair drier and so should you, if you have a good one. I personally have no use for a hair drier.
If you feel you must use a propane torch, you have to do it outside with the wind blowing toward your Mother N Law. You would also need a bucket of water in case your Mother n Law is thirsty, but also because PVC goes on fire very easily and you need to put it out fast so you don't go running around looking for a fire extinguisher. A heat gun is safer and your hair drier may work. I don't like to talk about hair, it makes me sad.
Wear gloves if you are using mortar or you will be able to go on those commercials for the heartbreak of psoriasis. It will peel your skin. Not mine as I have real Man hands but if you have Supermodel hands, wear gloves.

Your killin' me. [emoji23]Laughing so hard I gotta go back and read your advice all over again since I don't know what I just read. Are you a stand up comic in your spare time?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no place for humor in this serious and austere hobby. :eek: And I am sitting down. (Empress stop laughing. You may like this thread about what happened to me not to long ago. But it is not funny at all https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bees-bees-bees.92912/)

Yes burning PVC will kill you. But I said that a lot of times. If you choose not to listen, you will die. If you do, don't call me because I said you should not use a torch especially if you are a Supermodel.
Tsev03 you may have better luck at a hardware store. Lowes does not sell it in those small bags and unless you are making rocks to place in the Atlantic Ocean, you may not have any use for fifty pounds of mortar.

Last edited:

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no place for humor in this serious and austere hobby. :eek: And I am sitting down. (Empress stop laughing. You may like this thread about what happened to me not to long ago. But it is not funny at all https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bees-bees-bees.92912/)

Yes burning PVC will kill you. But I said that a lot of times. If you choose not to listen, you will die. If you do, don't call me because I said you should not use a torch especially if you are a Supermodel.
Tsev03 you may have better luck at a hardware store. Lowes does not sell it in those small bags and unless you are making rocks to place in the Atlantic Ocean, you may not have any use for fifty pounds of mortar.

OMG that was soooo funny!! I really do enjoy your stories!!!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not stories, they are actual events. :D
I don't like Bees and they don't like me. :eek:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back