Building a Complete RO/DI Setup with 30+ Gallons Storage

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I currently have a Kinetico K5 system running through an AquaticLife Dual DI and into a 20 Gallon RO storage tank [pressurized, holds about ~14 gallons total] and a 10 Gallon RO storage tank [about 6 gallons available]. I'm wanting to move away from using my K5 for Aquatic use and want to set up a system dedicated to the aquariums.

So far I planned on getting a RO/DI setup from BRS and dedicating this to the aquariums. My plan was to find a 55 Gallon water storage drum or tank that I can let the system process water into before it stops so that I always have water on hand for water changes.

I have, in the past, with freshwater had to do rather large emergency water changes to save tank inhabitants [long story] and that's a part of the reason I have the two larger storage tanks.

Right now I'm working on identifying what pieces/parts I need to build this.

I plan on either dropping a pump in whenever I need to pump water out to a bucket/pail/sump or possibly setting a pump up and plumbing it with PVC through the side of the container where I can hook up a hose/whatever I want.

I know that I will need some sort of ATO and maybe a R/O shutoff to fill the water storage without overflowing it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what ATO / pump / water storage tank I should use. I am thinking 50-55 gallons would be ideal as my largest tank is currently 75 gallons and the smallest is 29.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at polyethylene tanks. I got mine from plastic-mart. I would recommend plumbing the tanks so you dont have to move pump around. Instead you just have to turn some valves. I will try to find a picture of my last RO system.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my old water storage setup with 2 100 gallon tanks and a magdrive 12 pump.
uploadfromtaptalk1464287709483.jpg

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I'm wanting to set up - just on a smaller scale. I'm definitely open to any/all suggestions you may have and will be sure to document my build here.

It looks like you have that pump set up so you can pull from the bottom and put it back in the top or pump it away by closing a valve?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I'm wanting to set up - just on a smaller scale. I'm definitely open to any/all suggestions you may have and will be sure to document my build here.

It looks like you have that pump set up so you can pull from the bottom and put it back in the top or pump it away by closing a valve?

Yes I normally kept one tank as freshwater and the other was salt. I would mix and heat the water ahead of completing a water change. It would also serve to add some oxygen back to the water if it has been sitting for a while. Just have to be careful with valves so the water is able to overflow a tank. I plan to use the setup again once my new system is up and running.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I've set up a 32 gallon Brute can to store RO/DI.

Using a mechanical float as a backup and an electronic float and solenoid as the primary.

Also installed a small eheim pump inside the can and ran a line out and wired it into a pedal.

image.jpeg

Ordered a 6 Stage 75 GPD from BRS as well as the booster pump (supply is only ~40 psi) to dedicate to the aquariums.

Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Going to build my shelving and backboard for mounting all of my water storage and handling gear over the weekend.

Ignore the mess - I haven't really cleaned up because I know I'm redoing it very soon.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back