Building stand front, need magnetic attachment device.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say about 1/8' thick is enough? And I'm assuming you mean on both magnets, the one in the stand and the one on the front
Test the magnets and make sure they are strong enough before putting epoxy over them. Use a 1/4 inch piece of wood and they should still hold together strongly. If they are a little week use more magnets spaced out.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say about 1/8' thick is enough? And I'm assuming you mean on both magnets, the one in the stand and the one on the front

mine are about a 1/16 recessed
00AF738E-0A1B-41E0-83CA-41257B05E3B0.jpeg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a neodymium magnet? What width? It’s always safest and easiest imo to just check the poundage rating. If there is one.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a neodymium magnet? What width? It’s always safest and easiest imo to just check the poundage rating. If there is one.
I think it’s 1.25”. It’s coming tomorrow.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm building doors (panels) for the front of a 8020 stand. I have the magnets (neos) that I ordered from Amazon, what I don't have is what the magnets can mate with. I still want it to look good when I open the stand. I was thinking of just painting some small steel plates and counter-sink a nice looking screw in it using a T-slot nut on the other side. I've also thought of just doing that with the predrilled magnets, but wondering how long before they rusted, or if they did at all..... Would love to see if anyone has done this on 8020.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm building doors (panels) for the front of a 8020 stand. I have the magnets (neos) that I ordered from Amazon, what I don't have is what the magnets can mate with. I still want it to look good when I open the stand. I was thinking of just painting some small steel plates and counter-sink a nice looking screw in it using a T-slot nut on the other side. I've also thought of just doing that with the predrilled magnets, but wondering how long before they rusted, or if they did at all..... Would love to see if anyone has done this on 8020.
I think you can use magnet on both the stand and the front by turning one around.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit I didn’t read much of the thread but have you thought about Velcro? I used magnets on my last cover and will go with Velcro this time. My cover is fairly light though.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit I didn’t read much of the thread but have you thought about Velcro? I used magnets on my last cover and will go with Velcro this time. My cover is fairly light though.
You mean that industrial thin type? I love that stuff and use it everywhere in my system that’s above water. In my electrical cabinet I mount modules and lightweight monitors, etc. so I can move them around if I need to. I hadn’t thought about that for the stand front, but it’s an interesting idea. I’d have to nail it down to the stand and front for longevity. Thanks for the idea!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want stronger magnets than you typically get at the hardware store. I used Neodymium magnets from Amazon with a hole in the center to attach them. .
Weigh your frame and depending if it is supported on the bottom or not you may need more or stronger magnets. Use a router or a Forster bit if you want them flush with the back of your frame. You want to coat them if you are concerned about them getting wet, as they will corrode.

I bought these but I think they’re way too strong. I had difficulty pulling apart one of them from metal. I’m going to see about getting some smaller ones. I’m afraid that using that much force pulling the stand front off would eventually damage it. I’m going to weigh my stand front and then head over to Home Depot to find something less powerful. And yes I managed to pinch my finger between two of them. Ouch!!!!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought these but I think they’re way too strong. I had difficulty pulling apart one of them from metal. I’m going to see about getting some smaller ones. I’m afraid that using that much force pulling the stand front off would eventually damage it. I’m going to weigh my stand front and then head over to Home Depot to find something less powerful. And yes I managed to pinch my finger between two of them. Ouch!!!!

Inset them a little deeper so there is more gap

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blum makes some fancy magnetic cabinet hardware but there are also plenty of other options available. Some require no handle as you can push them in and they pop out or a more simple mechanism.
Can you point to where on Blum you are referring to? I only see hinges.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnet to metal plate. Use smaller plate to reduce pull. Don’t go magnet to magnet.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnet to metal plate. Use smaller plate to reduce pull. Don’t go magnet to magnet.
Yes you’re absolutely right. I can’t separate the magnets from each other at all. I did put something metal up to it and it was still incredibly difficult to separate.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inset them a little deeper so there is more gap
That’s a good idea. My stand front is only 3/4” thick, so I’m thinking I need to put the magnet in the stand itself to create distance. Would a metal washer work for the stand front itself? I’d like to find something about the same size as the magnet because I need to buy a new drill bit to make the holes.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. My stand front is only 3/4” thick, so I’m thinking I need to put the magnet in the stand itself to create distance. Would a metal washer work for the stand front itself? I’d like to find something about the same size as the magnet because I need to buy a new drill bit to make the holes.
i have a fender washer mounted to my panel that holds the doors and the magnet imbedded in the frame. The screw that holds the fender washer sticks out slightly above the washer. With a smaller flat top screw the magnet gets very close to the washer and the hold is strong. With a larger rounded head screw there is more distance and the hold is light. I played with different screws until I got the hold I wanted.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a fender washer mounted to my panel that holds the doors and the magnet imbedded in the frame. The screw that holds the fender washer sticks out slightly above the washer. With a smaller flat top screw the magnet gets very close to the washer and the hold is strong. With a larger rounded head screw there is more distance and the hold is light. I played with different screws until I got the hold I wanted.
Thanks! How deep did you drill the holes for the washer and magnet?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my finished product. I have a curtain in the gap until I build the doors. I still need to coat the magnets with more paint but they’re holding just right with fender stainless steel washers.
9A5DCAAC-C74D-4F4F-9AB6-FB104EDFF696.jpeg
5291FA9B-E383-4AFE-9E5F-196E1D836BC7.jpeg
7642B534-4512-470C-987A-A3E8B1DB64E9.jpeg
9A5DCAAC-C74D-4F4F-9AB6-FB104EDFF696.jpeg
5291FA9B-E383-4AFE-9E5F-196E1D836BC7.jpeg
7642B534-4512-470C-987A-A3E8B1DB64E9.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back