Bulkhead leak in 160 gallon

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

Last night during a water change we noticed a leak coming from the return tubing on our 160 gal mixed reef tank in our school. When we took a look, it was actually coming from the tank-bulkhead connection. We were able to wiggle it for it to stop leaking, but of course we want to find a permanent solution. After some research online, it seems like we need to drain the return tower to be able to disconnect/assess/tighten the bulk heads. Can this be done safely on a tank this size? I am afraid the water pressure from the rest of the tank would collapse the tower. Are there any other routes/suggestions for correcting this leak?

This tank has been set up for several years so we are not the ones who installed the tank. My best guess is either the bulk head came loose, the rubber gasket is on the wrong side, or some sand or something got in between. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Tank has two return pumps that push water to two towers, one on either side. The one that is leaking is the one on the right side of the tank (looking from the back).

(Please excuse the mess. We completely took out our electrical and ATO from the stand for safety and to monitor the leak!)

Thank you so much!

OSI.jpg

tower.jpg
bulkheads.jpg
cabinet 1.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's leaking from the bottom of the overflow compartment it will eventually lose enough water to drain the overflow anyway! (Just lightening the mood).

I would feel okay draining the overflow compartment, but a few things to keep in mind.

1) if the tank is very old, you may find that the silicone that connects the compartment (which will be a thin bead compared to the larger binding surface area of the glass panel) has already given up. So keep an eye on it while you are draining. If it refills on its own you will know the silicone is compromised.

2) use a clean o-ring on the inside of the tank between the bulkhead and the tank.

3) clean the glass on the inside where the o-ring will sit. (Yes I know this is nearly impossible, but it's important for a good seal.

4) don't over tighten or you will be in a world of hurt.

My vote is go for it! Hopefully others can chime in.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Turn return pump off. Loosen the bulkhead. Water will drain into the bucket.
Now tricky part. Ur gonna wanna disassemble the tubing. Push the bulkheads up or pull the overflow piping up so you can do as said and clean and dry the glass and gasket.
Re assemble.
Id cut a little more of that wood out too.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. When you filled the tank I'm sure you filled it in the main tank until it started spilling over the overflow and down into the sump. The compartment held up to the pressure fine then. Also, the compartment is rounded, which makes it more resistant to buckling to water pressure.

You're over thinking it... drain it and clean where the bulkhead sits and reinstall with a new gasket.

OP
OP
Ancarol2421

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks everyone!

We weren't the ones who installed this tank, its been here for over 8 years at least. Thanks again for the help!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to do nothing more than tighten the nut on the bulkhead. It will be on the bottom above the connecting tubes. Just turn it 1/4 turn. No more.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So clutch. I've never though of using a set of filter pliers on the bulkhead nuts. Those would be perfect.

OP
OP
Ancarol2421

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends,

we’ve cut out the wood and replaced the bulk head and it’s still leaking. Any advice? We see no obvious cracks in the glass and the bulkhead is the right size.

Lps_enjoyer9000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's leaking from the bottom of the overflow compartment it will eventually lose enough water to drain the overflow anyway! (Just lightening the mood).

I would feel okay draining the overflow compartment, but a few things to keep in mind.

1) if the tank is very old, you may find that the silicone that connects the compartment (which will be a thin bead compared to the larger binding surface area of the glass panel) has already given up. So keep an eye on it while you are draining. If it refills on its own you will know the silicone is compromised.

2) use a clean o-ring on the inside of the tank between the bulkhead and the tank.

3) clean the glass on the inside where the o-ring will sit. (Yes I know this is nearly impossible, but it's important for a good seal.

4) don't over tighten or you will be in a world of hurt.

My vote is go for it! Hopefully others can chime in.
On a new tank I set up recently both the bulkheads i bought leaked, brand new glass, brand new bulkheads, so instead of buying new bulkheads I just took silicone and put it on a popsicle stick, which I then shoved under the entire seal, on the top and bottom. I then tightened it and let it dry, it is a perfect seal. For a tank with a weir, with limited space to move and pull apart pvc, the easiest option may be to simply dry and clean with a popsicle stick, and then silicone the hell out of the seal.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends,

we’ve cut out the wood and replaced the bulk head and it’s still leaking. Any advice? We see no obvious cracks in the glass and the bulkhead is the right size.
Are you sure it's the return and not the drain? Water gets around. If you put a tissue or your finger around the drain bulkhead, it's not wet?

You also replaced the gasket, cleaned the glass and oriented the gasket properly?

OP
OP
Ancarol2421

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We fixed it! It was the bulkhead. Took a minute for us to cut the wood out to be able to work in that space. Thanks everyone!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back