Burgess Butterfly in a 30G? (temporarily)

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the opportunity to get a 3" Burgess Butterfly (Chaetodon burgessi) which is one of my favorite deepwater Butterflies. The tank I have is a 30 Gallon Non-Photosynthetic Reef (30 L x 18 H x 12 W), I'm not sure how fast Burgessi grow since they're a Deepwater Butterfly but what would be the likelihood of it doing well in a tank that size? Realistically, I'll only have it for about a year before I go to Uni, at that point I can see if I can bring it to the Aquarium with me to put in our own Non-Photosynthetic display.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the opportunity to get a 3" Burgess Butterfly (Chaetodon burgessi) which is one of my favorite deepwater Butterflies. The tank I have is a 30 Gallon Non-Photosynthetic Reef (30 L x 18 H x 12 W), I'm not sure how fast Burgessi grow since they're a Deepwater Butterfly but what would be the likelihood of it doing well in a tank that size? Realistically, I'll only have it for about a year before I go to Uni, at that point I can see if I can bring it to the Aquarium with me to put in our own Non-Photosynthetic display.
With that plan I don’t see much wrong with it. Burgessi don’t grow too fast at all (in general I’ve found butterflies can take years to grow).

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that plan I don’t see much wrong with it. Burgessi don’t grow too fast at all (in general I’ve found butterflies can take years to grow).
Ah sweet, thank you! I think right now it's between the Captive Bred Venustus or a Deepwater Butterfly. Both I'll only have for a year and will likely end up at the Aquarium but I can't wait for the day where I have a big enough tank so I can keep them permanently

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back