Butterfly fish in reef tank

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck keeping a butterfly fish in a reef tank. My LFS said I could depending on the type of corals I keep. I picked up a lattice butterfly. I have a just a few corals some GSP, hammer coral, zoanthids, and galxea. I normally work 12 hour shift and usually only feed once per day. My tank is only 2 months old and I currently just have a clean up crew with 2 clowns 1 blue tank and 1 snowflake eel. I've seen the butterfly pick at my live rock and only once at my zoanthids but I'm considering returning it to my LFS. Any input would be appreciated.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck keeping a butterfly fish in a reef tank. My LFS said I could depending on the type of corals I keep. I picked up a lattice butterfly. I have a just a few corals some GSP, hammer coral, zoanthids, and galxea. I normally work 12 hour shift and usually only feed once per day. My tank is only 2 months old and I currently just have a clean up crew with 2 clowns 1 blue tank and 1 snowflake eel. I've seen the butterfly pick at my live rock and only once at my zoanthids but I'm considering returning it to my LFS. Any input would be appreciated.
I believe the Latticed Butterfly is a fish that feed predominantly on coral. It is unlikely that any coral would do well in the same tank.
From Liveaquaria.com
"It requires a 120 gallon or larger aquarium that has numerous hiding places and peaceful community members. In the wild, it will prey on hard and soft corals, zoanthids, and/or anemones."

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one in a 1800 litre tank at work. I moved it in about 3 months ago.
It mostly eats on our Galaxea and Stylopora species. Probably some of our Euphyllia and mushrooms as well. All the Acropora and Motipora are fine. It hasn't killed anything, it just takes a polyp here and there.
Not sure if we will keep it in this tank. I wanted to see if it would eat clove polyps, but it didn't:D

IMG_4830.JPG

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. @Sallstrom my tank is nowhere near your level I'm just starting my tank and I think butterfly fish will inhibit the growth of my newly added corals.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramids are about as safe as you're going to get. Even they will eat Xenia though. But that's a good thing. :) I'm looking for a Zoster Pyramid now.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I’m looking at a Klein’s for an aiptasia problem. I’m prepared to move my acans but will it eat hammers?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one in a 1800 litre tank at work. I moved it in about 3 months ago.
It mostly eats on our Galaxea and Stylopora species. Probably some of our Euphyllia and mushrooms as well. All the Acropora and Motipora are fine. It hasn't killed anything, it just takes a polyp here and there.
Not sure if we will keep it in this tank. I wanted to see if it would eat clove polyps, but it didn't:D

IMG_4830.JPG
If only he would have worked on the clove polyps. Those things are the devil!

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. @Sallstrom my tank is nowhere near your level I'm just starting my tank and I think butterfly fish will inhibit the growth of my newly added corals.
Any butterfly would would have a tough time getting enough to eat in a new tank.
I say "tough time" but really what I mean is they will starve unless fed multiple times a day like 3 minimum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have three tanks with a Kleini butterfly in each and my larger tank has a copperband which all eat vigorously and peaceful and bother No coral.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had 2 types of butterfly that haven't eaten my coral, that's a Klein and a pyramid, although I had a shoal of 5 pyramid only 1 would nip occasionally at my corals, but with all butterfly fish it is pot luck how they will react to your corals, there isn't a definitive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back