Butterfly fish in reef tank

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by D. Torres, Mar 12, 2018.

1. D. Torres

D. Torres Member

Has anyone had any luck keeping a butterfly fish in a reef tank. My LFS said I could depending on the type of corals I keep. I picked up a lattice butterfly. I have a just a few corals some GSP, hammer coral, zoanthids, and galxea. I normally work 12 hour shift and usually only feed once per day. My tank is only 2 months old and I currently just have a clean up crew with 2 clowns 1 blue tank and 1 snowflake eel. I've seen the butterfly pick at my live rock and only once at my zoanthids but I'm considering returning it to my LFS. Any input would be appreciated.

Big G likes this.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I believe the Latticed Butterfly is a fish that feed predominantly on coral. It is unlikely that any coral would do well in the same tank.
    From Liveaquaria.com
    "It requires a 120 gallon or larger aquarium that has numerous hiding places and peaceful community members. In the wild, it will prey on hard and soft corals, zoanthids, and/or anemones."

Big G likes this.
  3. Sallstrom

Sallstrom Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

We have one in a 1800 litre tank at work. I moved it in about 3 months ago.
    It mostly eats on our Galaxea and Stylopora species. Probably some of our Euphyllia and mushrooms as well. All the Acropora and Motipora are fine. It hasn't killed anything, it just takes a polyp here and there.
    Not sure if we will keep it in this tank. I wanted to see if it would eat clove polyps, but it didn't:D

IMG_4830.JPG

Maritimer, PatW and Big G like this.
  4. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

The only Butterfly fish that are reef safe are Copperbands, Long Nose, and Pyramids.

rkpetersen and Instigate like this.
  5. D. Torres

D. Torres Member

Thanks for the replies. @Sallstrom my tank is nowhere near your level I'm just starting my tank and I think butterfly fish will inhibit the growth of my newly added corals.

6. doughboy

doughboy Active Member

copperbands are not completely reef safe. it will eat acans.

Big G likes this.
  7. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Controller Advisor

And even these can't always be trusted.

Big G likes this.
  8. Baldguy

Baldguy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Pyramids are about as safe as you're going to get. Even they will eat Xenia though. But that's a good thing. :) I'm looking for a Zoster Pyramid now.

Draft saved Draft deleted