Buying on Ebay

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2009
Messages
2,873
Reaction score
343
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else find it completely obnoxious that most coral for sale on ebay is not accurately described?

For example I just searched for "acan" under the coral category and 5 pages of results were returned and most of them aren't even acans! I'd hate to see what the results for "chalice" look like. I realize there are a lot of different people using this keyword spamming practice out there and I'm actually pretty surprised to see some of our sponsors using this misleading practice as well. I personally refuse to purchase from the retailers who use this practice and hope you do too so we can try to put an end to this. I'd hate to see someone new to the hobby purchase something they didn't intend to just because someone wanted more views on their product.
 
I pesonally don't buy anything on ebay. I am sure there are some good sellers on there, but I could not get myself to purchase any coral from anyone on there.
 
I have never had a problem with any of my ebay coral stores and actually find some really awesome low priced frags and even colonies. The key word is LIVE CORAL that should pull up most of them and yes there are lots of acans. But right now AquaSD has some great Acans if that what your looking for.
 
I have to agree. I refuse to buy from a vendor that uses all the keywords possible to list the coral. I have reported a few of the listings for using too many keywords I believe it's called keyword spamming. But I will and do still buy from eBay as long as the coral is represented correctly.
 
well I tell ya it helps us oldtimers out cause we don't half know what we are doing on the computer anyway.
 
I dont think that Ebay auctions should be posted on R2R since Ebay is not a sponsor. I'd rather see eye candy and stuff available to purchase. Hate to look through all the pics, see something you want, then see that its listed as an auction item on Ebay usually ending days away! Thats obnoxious! I dont even look at those vendor threads anymore..
 
For me there are too many variables to using ebay. Lets say you bid on a bunch of corals hoping you win 5 of them but end up only winning one for $20... now add $50 shipping, not such a good deal. Of course if you win 8 then woo hoo. but there's no guarantees so I avoid it.
 
I hate word spamming on Ebay, I refuse to buy from 99% of venders who do it. I mean sometimes you come across a piece you cant turn down but i look down on the venders on here and ebay that do it. The only point to it is trickery, and dont so its for advertisement or to get that piece out there not every one can ID corals and 9 species in the name dont help a new person.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new