Cade Chaos Grimoire

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. We raised Jumbo Coturnix for dual purpose. My intention this last time was to have eggs for eating, eggs for hatching, and quail for both eating and feeding my dogs. We lost two dogs to cancer within 6 months - one was only 4 years old. We did a little research and decided to start feeding natural, so they get raw meat like a coyote or wolf would. They've all been healthy and happy since then so we've kept at it. Quail would have been an inexpensive answer to that but summer hit and we lost all of them overnight while we were out of town for my Grandma's funeral. We're eventually going to get some more, we just haven't yet.
My dogs are also on the raw diet. Around here, it’s less expensive than kibble and it actually nourishes them. My 13 year old acts like he’s 7.

Quail tastes great! They’re much more common out west since they love the desert conditions out there.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dogs are also on the raw diet. Around here, it’s less expensive than kibble and it actually nourishes them. My 13 year old acts like he’s 7.

Quail tastes great! They’re much more common out west since they love the desert conditions out there.
I looked into doing raw with Skeletor but it seemed very complex to make sure he gets everything he needs.

I'd love any resources either you or @tbrown have on what I could do to transition him more that way. As it is I give turkey necks, hearts occasionally if I can find them, sardines, and eggs all as supplemental to his kibbles.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals.com just got a delivery with Australian lace and Fiji yellow and oh man am I tempted on both

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am finding the yellow leather isnt really as yellow as it actually is in the wild. More of a old man tan color. i am reading up on them tho and it seems like they need a specific light mix to get that "yellow". Just an fyi.
you could try it in the new 5g tho ;)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I looked into doing raw with Skeletor but it seemed very complex to make sure he gets everything he needs.

I'd love any resources either you or @tbrown have on what I could do to transition him more that way. As it is I give turkey necks, hearts occasionally if I can find them, sardines, and eggs all as supplemental to his kibbles.
I think eggs are a "occasionally" treat. We feed our dogs raw chicken. 1 leg quarter daily for the big dogs with a second thrown in every couple of days for a "treat" and a thigh for the small boy with a leg quarter occasionally for a "treat". We looked at the BARF diet but our dogs have just done better on plain old raw chicken with some heart/liver/gizzards thrown. They eat bones and all since it's raw.

Your dog, being a slightly (ok, a lot) more active might need 2 quarters daily, one afternoon, one morning.

Turkey necks and backs are better for allergies so if Skeletor has any skin allergies or sensitive skin, turkey is a good way to go.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think eggs are a "occasionally" treat. We feed our dogs raw chicken. 1 leg quarter daily for the big dogs with a second thrown in every couple of days for a "treat" and a thigh for the small boy with a leg quarter occasionally for a "treat". We looked at the BARF diet but our dogs have just done better on plain old raw chicken with some heart/liver/gizzards thrown. They eat bones and all since it's raw.

Your dog, being a slightly (ok, a lot) more active might need 2 quarters daily, one afternoon, one morning.

Turkey necks and backs are better for allergies so if Skeletor has any skin allergies or sensitive skin, turkey is a good way to go.
I didn't word that very well, he doesn't get all of those everyday lol. He pretty much gets sardines three times a week, eggs twice a week but they're his favorite, a turkey neck once a week, and hearts or gizzards when we find them. Eggs are his favorite though, that's part of the reason I wanted to do quail because I feel more comfortable giving him a quail egg everyday than giving him a chicken egg everyday.

I'm hesitant to go fully raw because when he stays with family they are not likely to want to feed that way if we're out of town. And we have to be careful with things with bones because he likes to carry those to his bed to eat them and drip juices all over the house, his necks are given to him outside. Part of the reason I haven't just tossed a whole quarter or anything into his dish.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't word that very well, he doesn't get all of those everyday lol. He pretty much gets sardines three times a week, eggs twice a week but they're his favorite, a turkey neck once a week, and hearts or gizzards when we find them. Eggs are his favorite though, that's part of the reason I wanted to do quail because I feel more comfortable giving him a quail egg everyday than giving him a chicken egg everyday.

I'm hesitant to go fully raw because when he stays with family they are not likely to want to feed that way if we're out of town. And we have to be careful with things with bones because he likes to carry those to his bed to eat them and drip juices all over the house, his necks are given to him outside. Part of the reason I haven't just tossed a whole quarter or anything into his dish.
Yep! Our puppy wanders around the house eating and drops bones chunks around. They all get locked outside when eating for that reason.

Our dogs do eat dry food as needed, especially when the in-laws are babysitting.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed dog chow cause the others are too high. I used to feed pro plan. I’ve wanted to do raw but Hubbs and his mom wouldn’t approve lol. Plus I am scared I’d mess up. That being said if I did go raw I’d go BARF. Also I’ve heard great things about honest kitchen. I had a sample of something quite a few years back from them. It smelled nice.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My labs are both allergic to chicken! It sucks and hard to find food for them… my black lab has such a sensitive stomach I can’t feed him anything but a prescription dog foood that’s basically corn meal for $400 a month.. rrrr

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My labs are both allergic to chicken! It sucks and hard to find food for them… my black lab has such a sensitive stomach I can’t feed him anything but a prescription dog foood that’s basically corn meal for $400 a month.. rrrr
We were told Skeletor was allergic to chicken and grain, he's not allergic to either. They just tried to put him on way too rich a formula for his stomach :rolleyes:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were told Skeletor was allergic to chicken and grain, he's not allergic to either. They just tried to put him on way too rich a formula for his stomach :rolleyes:
My chocolate only breaks out with rashes but she’s fine besides that.. my black lab oh boy! He can’t have treats or anything besides his script food or his stomach makes the loudest noises I’ve ever heard and he farts like crazy and has the runs 24/7 ugh… lol

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been kinda absent this week, apologies.

What's new? Not much.

Tank was going good, then one day the skunk spasmed all over the place, smacked into the lid multiple times, probably gave itself a concussion, hid for a couple days, came out to eat once after that - and I haven't seen it since.

Got my quail cage, going to work on setting it up tomorrow. Feeder/waterer/food come Monday. Tomorrow I'll reach out to a local place to see about getting some hens sometime this coming week.

Going to try to order a pump for the tenecor diy from LA with my credit. Won't use all of it, trying to determine if there are any other hardgoods I need (for current, diy, or future tanks) or if I should use the rest on basic corals.

Skeletor's digestive health food I've been using for ages got discontinued. Started mixing in Biljac Senior.... he's loving it and somehow his poop is better now than it was on the gut health stuff, I don't understand this dog sometimes.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been kinda absent this week, apologies.

What's new? Not much.

Tank was going good, then one day the skunk spasmed all over the place, smacked into the lid multiple times, probably gave itself a concussion, hid for a couple days, came out to eat once after that - and I haven't seen it since.

Got my quail cage, going to work on setting it up tomorrow. Feeder/waterer/food come Monday. Tomorrow I'll reach out to a local place to see about getting some hens sometime this coming week.

Going to try to order a pump for the tenecor diy from LA with my credit. Won't use all of it, trying to determine if there are any other hardgoods I need (for current, diy, or future tanks) or if I should use the rest on basic corals.

Skeletor's digestive health food I've been using for ages got discontinued. Started mixing in Biljac Senior.... he's loving it and somehow his poop is better now than it was on the gut health stuff, I don't understand this dog sometimes.
Food? Sand if you're not going BB? Heater? I got sand, air pumps, and food with my GC.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food? Sand if you're not going BB? Heater? I got sand, air pumps, and food with my GC.
Sand I can get from work if I decide to not go bb I'll go black anyway and I don't want to be sitting on all that extra.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% of their hardgoods are out of stock anyway

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% of their hardgoods are out of stock anyway
It was the same thing when I tried to use my gift card. It's almost like they force you to fish. Inverts are way too $$$. I went with frozen food.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the same thing when I tried to use my gift card. It's almost like they force you to fish. Inverts are way too $$$. I went with frozen food.
I avoided frozen food because I thought you had it all arrive thawed? I got the pump for the diy & some dry food and still have about $30 left in credit I think.

Last edited:

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoided frozen food because I thought you had it all arrive melted? I got the pump for the diy & some dry food and still have about $30 left in credit I think.
It did. But I didn't have any other options that were useful

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back