Calcium Reactor Choices

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 part consumption has hit 170ml per day and is quickly increasing. While I can continue 2 part, I am starting to look at calcium reactors. Once my consumption hits 250-300 I feel it is time to switch.

My tank is an 140-gallon SPS tank.

I am looking at 2 routes.
1. Deltec Twin-Tech
2. Geo with kamoer Dosing Pump

Obviously, the Deltec is a bit more expensive, but skipping price what are people's opinions on going one route over the other and WHY not just I have a Geo and like it.

My past experience with CaRx was constant clogging of drip valves and a significant drop in pH when going to the fast drip continuous flow method. so the Kamoer should solve that.

Are there downsides to the new technology in the Deltec Twin-tech?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll need a good dual stage regulator no matter which one you choose and I wouldn't skimp on this part. I'm not a fan of the carbon doser, so I have a custom regulator built by Alan Le. I went old school with my Geo (masterflex brushless pump), so it's probably about the same cost as the Deltec without a regulator. If you go Geo, stay away from the needle valve and pull with the Kamoer. I believe the Geo's come with a Sicce pump as the recirculating pump. I think Jake Adams has a review of the Deltec on Reef Builders.

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great success with my Aquamaxx C-Tech reactor. One of the reasons for my success was my Alan Le inspired regulator and Kamoer FX-STP pump. I had rock solid feed rate with a consistent pH in the reactor.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dastaco is another option. Never used one, I have a GEO. But I looked into the Dastaco prior.

corey

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a mrc ccr38-24 with a iwaki pump on it, and pull with the kamoere. . its 2 8inch diamter tubes maybe 30 inches tall plus a 6 inch diamter 24 inch second stage.

ive played with a bill wann acr.. no thanks.. old school big dual chambers with a decent sized secodary chamber all day long wins. I alos highly recomment putting money into your regulator.. and the carbon doser brand is junk fyi.

Warrensreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Deltec Twin-Tech 1500 and I'm extremely happy with it. Super easy to adjust up and down if needed. Anything specific you want to know just ask.
Hi Jay
I purchased 1 of these here in South Africa and the optional timer power supply I believe doesn’t come with the unit … we only have 9v and 12v output power supplies here and reading the instructions they say to use a 10v …. My question is will a 9v or 12v work ..?

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay
I purchased 1 of these here in South Africa and the optional timer power supply I believe doesn’t come with the unit … we only have 9v and 12v output power supplies here and reading the instructions they say to use a 10v …. My question is will a 9v or 12v work ..?
Hey Warren, sorry I have been busy launching a new company and my reef keeping fun had to take a back seat. I'm not sure about the electrical portion of this. I would reach out to Deltec directly to see if they could provide you some guidance. I wouldn't attempt it until you speak to them. I'm shorted out a number of GHL Controllers by accidently plugging in the wrong power supply.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back