Calcium Rising without Dosing!!

Oceanographers generally use conductivity. The practical salinity scale (PSU) is actually defined by conductivity. Hydrometers (and refractometers) are mostly a hobbyist thing.

So I have 2 conductivity meters that provide different measurements after calibration. Interestingly enough, the GHL's calculated density marches the High-precision Hydrometer. However, the GHL's conductivity readings don't match what the calculated SG should be.

So if I trust GHL's density which matches the High-precision Hydrometer, I need to drop my salinity to get into the 1.0264 SG range. Or do I go with GHL's conductivity reading...@53 would puts my High-precision Hydrometer somewhere over 1.028 SG and my Hanna over 37ppt.

Thoughts?
 
So I have 2 conductivity meters that provide different measurements after calibration. Interestingly enough, the GHL's calculated density marches the High-precision Hydrometer. However, the GHL's conductivity readings don't match what the calculated SG should be.

So if I trust GHL's density which matches the High-precision Hydrometer, I need to drop my salinity to get into the 1.0264 SG range. Or do I go with GHL's conductivity reading...@53 would puts my High-precision Hydrometer somewhere over 1.028 SG and my Hanna over 37ppt.

Thoughts?

Did they correctly read the same calibration fluid correctly after calibration?

I'm not familiar with the GHL. But with some aquarium controllers, there are problems of uncertain origin, and one issue may be remote temperature measurement.

Temp must be the same as the standard, or properly accounted for.
 
Did they correctly read the same calibration fluid correctly after calibration?

I'm not familiar with the GHL. But with some aquarium controllers, there are problems of uncertain origin, and one issue may be remote temperature measurement.

Temp must be the same as the standard, or properly accounted for.

They were all correctly calibrated using their calibration fluids and then read correctly afterward. Hence my troubles. GHL is particularly frustrating because their EC measurement has different values you can display...that don't seem to align with expected calculated values.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/salinity-measurement-troubles.835763/
 
In a conductivity device that has multiple possible reading units, always use conductivity as that is the natural unit measured. Anything else requires calculation that may or may not be done correctly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new