Calling all DIY Wizards!!!

SALT WIFE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO $12 @ Home depot. Hooked it up directly to the ro/di and it sits in my sump. Been running with no issues for the last 4 - 5yrs. Even put one in my mix tank.
20180206_163233.jpg
20180206_163143.jpg

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is too funny. I honestly have never seen a toilet float used in this fashion.

Do you mind sharing how you hook up the RODI to the float valve? The ones in my house all hook up from underneath with a 1/2" or 3/4" hose. Just curious.

My ATO $12 @ Home depot. Hooked it up directly to the ro/di and it sits in my sump. Been running with no issues for the last 4 - 5yrs. Even put one in my mix tank.
20180206_163233.jpg
20180206_163143.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180206_163233.jpg
20180206_163143.jpg

This is brilliant!

SALT WIFE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol - yup MY redneck set up. Best part is your float is adjustable so you can set the perfect water hieght in the sump. Simple to hook up, you only need a plastic compression fitting for the size hose coming off your rodi which will screw onto the bottom of the float. Sold at HD for a couple of bucks. Egg crate was used to mount it
20180207_192354.jpg
20180207_192335.jpg

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180206_163233.jpg
20180206_163143.jpg
This is AMAZING....... I'm speechless. Simple ingenuity that grabs my DIY-budget-building-soul, shakes it vigorously and asks "Why didn't you think of that!!!!?"

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love DIY as well. My Crazy refuge/sump build for a 54 gal. corner bow stand. Let me tell you, it don't come out without cutting it up or removing the tank. LOL
This, as U can see drove me nuts but, turned out to be a super sweet set-up.
54 SUMP (1).jpg
1338343724679.jpg
1338343726070.jpg
54 stand top view sump (2).jpg
54 sump w 125 skimmer.jpg
1338343725480.jpg

Can I see a tank shot of that build. I have the same tank and have been thinking about switching it from a planted tank to a reef and curious where u put the overflow and return.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, for sure I'm a cheap reefer and always have been. Slowly updating my build thread and that will have a lot of DIY with explanations in the next couple of weeks along with what has already been done. There is a certain satisfaction in DIY that I can't explain. I don't always save all that much money but it is more about making it mine.
Reboot Standard 125. Nothing special here.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had success yesterday with the ATS, I decided to make a holder for the float valve I received today. For any do DIY'ers out there interested in working with acrylic, there are some tips below...

IMG_0409.jpg

1. Make sure you have a smooth, flat surface to work on that won't cling to the acrylic. An old solid board will work. Avoid particle board, as the smaller pieces will stick.

2. Keep some smaller pieces of wood (2x4/2x6/2x8's etc) close by, that you can use as a brace. Clamps are your friend.

3. Use Weld-on 3. It starts to set in a minute or less. So you need to be prepared to get it glued right, the first time. Dry fit everything first, to see and eliminate any gaps. Weld-on 4 takes longer to set, but I honestly would have liked a faster set than the #3 in most cases.

4. The Weld-on is a water thin liquid. So when using an applicator syringe (hobby stores have them), it will just pour right out when you turn the applicator upside down. SQUEEZE the bottle right side up, then- when applying- SLOWLY tilt the needle towards the seam. As the liquid comes out, it will bleed in between the seams on it's own. Squeezing the air out before hand, will allow you to now have suction so a ton doesn't come spilling out. But it will still try, so be wary. Hold it tight for two minutes, then look for air pockets and apply some more Weld-on in those spots.

5. You can cut the acrylic really easy with wood saws. A table saw, miter saw, and band saw- all work- really well. Use a fine tooth blade if possible on the table and miter saws. Drilling holes are easy, but be careful once you punch through. The drill bit can catch and turn the piece you're drilling (especially if it's small) into a airplane propeller that can smash a finger. So have it well braced when you start drilling.

6. Don't put any pressure on the seams for at least an hour after melting them together.

7. Don't bother looking for Weld-on in the store. Just save yourself the time and gas, and order it online.

8. When you open the Weld-on (with pliers most likely), it will have a piece of metal in the opening that says "Cut this out". Punch a hole in it with a screw driver, and pry the piece out. Be careful! Again, this is water thin liquid. If you jostle too much, trying to pry this piece out, you'll lose half the product on the floor.

Hope that helps. Message me if you have questions.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back