Camaro Show Corals HIGH END SPS 550 Gallon system with Custom AGE 210g and large grow out system! (Picture Heavy)

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
19189893-15FC-44B6-875D-02A3E311F1F9.jpeg

Brad B Draw Dropper

Last edited:

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@The Camaro Show

Tidal Gardens is releasing a Nexus!

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@The Camaro Show

Tidal Gardens is releasing a Nexus!

I saw, they had it on their last live sale. Not very much orange on that one. Almost a Nexus Joker which is what happens and is called to a nexus burst with no orange.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So as many of you know I have been working on building my 550g system which includes the AGE 210g which has been planned to go into our TV room which is a flow above and probably 30-40 feet away which is why I got a Abyzz A400 return pump. The grow out system and sump and majority of equipment is in our finished game room/rec room( our house is a ranch). I had a friend over Friday to look at everything and to make sure we can make it work and he brought up a good point, there’s gonna be a ton of water back flowing when I turn that system off obviously I’ll have check valves on the returns but that’s not gonna help the drains. I’ll also have 12 gallons or so coming back from my big skimmer, I have my large custom bashsea sump but even a 72x18x18 It may not hold all that. Thoughts? A idea was I have a extra sump that’s not as nice or fancy as my bashsea but it’s also large 72x24x? And thought of using it as a extra drain back flow sump somehow. I thought someone with a large system was using some type of tank to back flow into.
Anyone doing something similar with their systems?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be at a parents home or your home? Only reason I ask, why such a big investment and project if you may only be there another year or two? Just curious?

If I recall you’re in college, which would lead me to believe you may be moving on soon, weather to a new home or location for a job.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be at a parents home or your home? Only reason I ask, why such a big investment and project if you may only be there another year or two? Just curious?

If I recall you’re in college, which would lead me to believe you may be moving on soon, weather to a new home or location for a job.
I dunno, post-college kids tend to live in their parents basements for a long time, these days.. :) The new norm :p

Great build ! Following

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Parents home, plan on staying here for at least 5 more years. I have a year left of college I'm a junior currently, plan is to go to Dental school at WVU or PT school at my current university which is 15 minutes from my house but I still dorm due to scholarship reasons, but still home all the time. If I go to PT school ill be at home, if I go to Dental Ill get a appt somewhere but still WVU is just over a hour from my house so id be close to the system. Plan is to run that system until I do move out then upgrade to a 750-1000g system range.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how people would feel about this, could you get a water sensor on the hydros to turn a pump on to pump into your second sump or other container when the back flow occurs?

Not the most full proof option as you’re screwed if for some reason the sensor doesn’t trip or the pump just doesn’t want to work

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as many of you know I have been working on building my 550g system which includes the AGE 210g which has been planned to go into our TV room which is a flow above and probably 30-40 feet away which is why I got a Abyzz A400 return pump. The grow out system and sump and majority of equipment is in our finished game room/rec room( our house is a ranch). I had a friend over Friday to look at everything and to make sure we can make it work and he brought up a good point, there’s gonna be a ton of water back flowing when I turn that system off obviously I’ll have check valves on the returns but that’s not gonna help the drains. I’ll also have 12 gallons or so coming back from my big skimmer, I have my large custom bashsea sump but even a 72x18x18 It may not hold all that. Thoughts? A idea was I have a extra sump that’s not as nice or fancy as my bashsea but it’s also large 72x24x? And thought of using it as a extra drain back flow sump somehow. I thought someone with a large system was using some type of tank to back flow into.
Anyone doing something similar with their systems?
It is not difficult to attach a second sump to the first one with a load balancing pipe in between. I have 3 sumps connected this way in my basement. It will mean that one sump takes in the overflow and the other sump has the return pump(s) so the water is continually moving through both.

Another install we worked on is pictured below. Ran into a staging issue that limited the sump size we could go with. So went with 2 of them and again, while you cannot see it, there is a 2" flex PVC that ties these two together. I prefer using flex pipe to minimize any torque against the sump walls.

In theory, this should work fine. Sadly we are still waiting on electrics and source water plumbing to get done.

IMG-5018.jpg

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not difficult to attach a second sump to the first one with a load balancing pipe in between. I have 3 sumps connected this way in my basement. It will mean that one sump takes in the overflow and the other sump has the return pump(s) so the water is continually moving through both.

Another install we worked on is pictured below. Ran into a staging issue that limited the sump size we could go with. So went with 2 of them and again, while you cannot see it, there is a 2" flex PVC that ties these two together. I prefer using flex pipe to minimize any torque against the sump walls.

In theory, this should work fine. Sadly we are still waiting on electrics and source water plumbing to get done.

IMG-5018.jpg
Dang that’s a serious set up for sure!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back