Can anyone ID? Multiple different critters!

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to worry about in these pics. Except maybe the bubble looking thing on a string, might be Hydroids. Notice lots of bubbles on LR. I don’t think it is but might be. Don’t worry about those tubes forming on the sand or anything else I see in your pics.
Thank you, I’ve been so concerned. I don’t know about hydroids, what do those do? I have a LOT of bubbles on that rock, they never move. I thought it was like superglue or fake bubbles lol. I didn’t put them on there though, so I didn’t know for sure.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they crawl around or slide? Do their bodies stretch when they move?
Just gonna reply to all your questions with this one message - they do move, but they’re sooooo small. They just move around in their little area they individually are in. If I could send you a video it would be much better, cause pictures don’t really help. They look MUCH smaller than the flat worms I’ve seen on Google/YouTube. They’re literally small enough that I can’t see them moving with just my eyes, only with my camera zoomed in & focused on them.
i don’t know about pods, but I remember someone mentioning copapods and I looked them up, but they look different. These are solid brown, the copapods I looked up were like clear or something I think.
the LFS really doesn’t know what he’s talking about lol, he’s given me the worst info ever and was definitely trying to kill my tank

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna reply to all your questions with this one message - they do move, but they’re sooooo small. They just move around in their little area they individually are in. If I could send you a video it would be much better, cause pictures don’t really help. They look MUCH smaller than the flat worms I’ve seen on Google/YouTube. They’re literally small enough that I can’t see them moving with just my eyes, only with my camera zoomed in & focused on them.
i don’t know about pods, but I remember someone mentioning copapods and I looked them up, but they look different. These are solid brown, the copapods I looked up were like clear or something I think.
the LFS really doesn’t know what he’s talking about lol, he’s given me the worst info ever and was definitely trying to kill my tank
Flatworms are very visible by the eye. They slide across your glass like a inch worm but don’t lift just glide. Pods scurry around like bugs on a piece of fruit. If you get long tweezers or something to put near them they will run around on the glass of pods. Flatworms do not hold on very well to things to a simple blow of a Turkey baster will dislodge them into the water column. Most adult pods are visible also.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS definitely wants you to purchase items to help fix tank but dumping a bunch of stuff in your tank is not a good idea. Is that your only LFS?

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B52E50BE-9F19-41B5-ABCC-51A8FAC82095.jpeg

Here this is on my 5 gallon quarantine tank that needs its glass cleaned. You can see the red flatworms then the white bug looking things are pods.
Flatworms can also be clear (not as big of a problem) then off-white and red ones are the ones you need to eradicate as soon as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS definitely wants you to purchase items to help fix tank but dumping a bunch of stuff in your tank is not a good idea. Is that your only LFS?
It’s not my only LFS, I have 2 other ones I could use but one is only open weekends for a few hours, the other is 45 mins away and closes before I can get out there after work. I was going to go to petco or pet supermarket but they don’t have what I need anyway. And the little bug things on my glass are very small, not visible to the eye. They don’t look anything like the picture you showed me, what I have are so much smaller. Like tiny. I also don’t have those white things, it looks like those are a little bigger than what I have. And there’s a lot of them too. They’re dark brown, very small, and they herd together on the glass. There is a light brown haze surrounding the area where they are at on the tank’s glass. I wish I could upload videos on here to show you

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not my only LFS, I have 2 other ones I could use but one is only open weekends for a few hours, the other is 45 mins away and closes before I can get out there after work. I was going to go to petco or pet supermarket but they don’t have what I need anyway. And the little bug things on my glass are very small, not visible to the eye. They don’t look anything like the picture you showed me, what I have are so much smaller. Like tiny. I also don’t have those white things, it looks like those are a little bigger than what I have. And there’s a lot of them too. They’re dark brown, very small, and they herd together on the glass. There is a light brown haze surrounding the area where they are at on the tank’s glass. I wish I could upload videos on here to show you
I was using a zoom lens on my phone so they might look bigger...?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like Nudibranch - Discard

1635383291466.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like black sponge. Remove outside the tank. Exposure to air will take them down

1635383354989.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Possible vermetid (pic very white)

1635383421268.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pods- Free food for fish and coral

1635383460961.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sponge or even tunicate

1635383516720.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Typical secretion from a vermetid snail. Also many bubbles which may be the start of Dino

1635383606242.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tube worm. Generally sends out a fan in search of food

1635383651661.png

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 dang!!! You’re good!! Thank you :) I’ve been so worried lol. I actually have vermited snails, but they are on the other side of the tank. I didn’t post pics since I already confirmed those but as far as those little white worms, they all look the same to me - literally like a small rope of sand. And the limpet - I have a video of the snail on my glass with the white worm thing sticking out from its right side, by its head (?) and it keeps moving around.
also, the possible Dinos, how do I know what those bubbles actually are? It was nearly impossible to get that picture alone

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back