Can anyone ID? Multiple different critters!

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a zoom lens on my phone so they might look bigger...?
That’s definitely possible, but I’m not sure because they still look pretty large. I zoomed in close on mine too, but I don’t know for sure about it lol. So I also was thinking - I need to do a water change & remove those rocks. I don’t want them in my tank, they’re too big and problematic. If I keep the sand, do a really good water change, and put in new rock (live or dry), what are the odds my tank will cycle and kill everything?? Especially with these weird bubbles under the sand… I’m afraid my sand has creepy critters under it and will cause a big issue if I remove the rock and replace with something else. Those rocks have all kinds of crap on them.

Attachments

• BDBD25E1-1390-421B-8293-D35C44CCC2DD.jpeg
    BDBD25E1-1390-421B-8293-D35C44CCC2DD.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 40
  • D358ADDD-3F51-4F0B-84ED-3156F067EBD5.jpeg
    D358ADDD-3F51-4F0B-84ED-3156F067EBD5.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 43

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 dang!!! You’re good!! Thank you :) I’ve been so worried lol. I actually have vermited snails, but they are on the other side of the tank. I didn’t post pics since I already confirmed those but as far as those little white worms, they all look the same to me - literally like a small rope of sand. And the limpet - I have a video of the snail on my glass with the white worm thing sticking out from its right side, by its head (?) and it keeps moving around.
also, the possible Dinos, how do I know what those bubbles actually are? It was nearly impossible to get that picture alone
Take a turkey baster and blow the bubbles loose. If they return as soon as tomorrow- May very well be the start of. Dino in addition to bubbles will have stringy filaments and even look like snot with bubbles

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely possible, but I’m not sure because they still look pretty large. I zoomed in close on mine too, but I don’t know for sure about it lol. So I also was thinking - I need to do a water change & remove those rocks. I don’t want them in my tank, they’re too big and problematic. If I keep the sand, do a really good water change, and put in new rock (live or dry), what are the odds my tank will cycle and kill everything?? Especially with these weird bubbles under the sand… I’m afraid my sand has creepy critters under it and will cause a big issue if I remove the rock and replace with something else. Those rocks have all kinds of crap on them.
lol This is nothing to freak out about, I know it’s hard to read peeps feelings reading text but I sense you’re tense about the situation. Honestly, the worse thing you could do is start moving things around or taking the sand out. Don’t worry about the vermited snails right now, not that big of a deal. Everything else is fixable and the worst thing you could do is something big to change the environment of the tank or a bunch of small things that would get the tank out of whack. Get what you’re worried about officially identified then you can find natural or chemically ways to fix the problem. But when you decide on your method you will know a lot more about the problem than you do now.
Your tank won’t crash anytime soon from any of the pics that I’ve seen so no reason to stress out the tank. That Small QT tank I keep running, (I have 2 QT tanks) I throw pest in to “study”/ find best solution to deal with certain pest. All my asteria snails, extra limpets I catch in DT(I noticed some species reproduce a lot, but GREAT CUC member), Bristle worms (another GREAT CUC member), Gulf wild anemones (make sure they aren't invasive, and other hitchhikers I find.
Do you have a QT tank? If Those “bugs” on your glass are pods that’s a good thing. They clean your tank and are yummy for all kinds of critters in your tank. Thank goodness you haven’t found a bristle worm yet...lol

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a turkey baster and blow the bubbles loose. If they return as soon as tomorrow- May very well be the start of. Dino in addition to bubbles will have stringy filaments and even look like snot with bubbles
I’ll have to do that and try to dislodge them. If I just remove the whole rock would that be fine to get rid of the Dino or whatever is causing the bubbles? Cause I have a big rock sitting on the sand, the one on top is pretty small compared to the big one, and that’s where 85% to 90% of the aiptasia is

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol This is nothing to freak out about, I know it’s hard to read peeps feelings reading text but I sense you’re tense about the situation. Honestly, the worse thing you could do is start moving things around or taking the sand out. Don’t worry about the vermited snails right now, not that big of a deal. Everything else is fixable and the worst thing you could do is something big to change the environment of the tank or a bunch of small things that would get the tank out of whack. Get what you’re worried about officially identified then you can find natural or chemically ways to fix the problem. But when you decide on your method you will know a lot more about the problem than you do now.
Your tank won’t crash anytime soon from any of the pics that I’ve seen so no reason to stress out the tank. That Small QT tank I keep running, (I have 2 QT tanks) I throw pest in to “study”/ find best solution to deal with certain pest. All my asteria snails, extra limpets I catch in DT(I noticed some species reproduce a lot, but GREAT CUC member), Bristle worms (another GREAT CUC member), Gulf wild anemones (make sure they aren't invasive, and other hitchhikers I find.
Do you have a QT tank? If Those “bugs” on your glass are pods that’s a good thing. They clean your tank and are yummy for all kinds of critters in your tank. Thank goodness you haven’t found a bristle worm yet...lol
I am very tense lol how’d you know? I am stressed with a capital S lol. I actually don’t have a QT tank but I would like to set one up, at least so I have the opportunity to safely bring in new corals or fish. But for now I’m just trying to learn how to stabilize everything, get it nice and beautiful lol, and then I’ll bring in other things. My 6 little mushroom corals are enough for now lol. But I am glad you made that point, otherwise I probably would’ve made a big change. I think I’m scared to do something and kill all my animals, so I’m trying not to really do much of anything. But tbh I need to just calm down hahaha. I think my first step should be water change, get a nitrate tester (I was thinking seachem for starters?) and then just getting educated on taking out the one rock that is all messed up lol cause it’s only one rock and I think the loss of any good bacteria on that one rock definitely doesn’t not outweigh all the problems that rock has

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ll have to do that and try to dislodge them. If I just remove the whole rock would that be fine to get rid of the Dino or whatever is causing the bubbles? Cause I have a big rock sitting on the sand, the one on top is pretty small compared to the big one, and that’s where 85% to 90% of the aiptasia is
Yes- you can lightly scrub with a toothbrush and rinse

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1114FA6C-27A9-4A89-8473-2158EADFD0C0.jpeg

These girls/guys only eat pods
I REALLY want this fish. I was JUST talking about this fish last night lol. Would it survive without the pods? Or would I have to dump them into the tank for this fish? It’s so majestic I just love it. I wouldn’t want it to die though if it eats all the pods and then they’re gone

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- you can lightly scrub with a toothbrush and rinse
I was thinking like taking it out and throwing it in the trash lol but if that isn’t a good idea then I will do the scrubbing. I really need to scrub all my rocks.
i was told a rip clean would help and that my tank would skip cycle, but I never got an answer. Do you know why rip clean will skip cycle? I had some people saying do it, some said dont, so I’m trying to get all the info about it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was thinking like taking it out and throwing it in the trash lol but if that isn’t a good idea then I will do the scrubbing. I really need to scrub all my rocks.
i was told a rip clean would help and that my tank would skip cycle, but I never got an answer. Do you know why rip clean will skip cycle? I had some people saying do it, some said dont, so I’m trying to get all the info about it
Because tank still running
I never suggest rip-clean unless circumstance is very uncontrollable

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because tank still running
I never suggest rip-clean unless circumstance is very uncontrollable
Oh okay that makes sense. When it was suggested, no one knew what kinds of critters or pests I had, I was just naming off the stuff I thought I had, which is all info from the same LFS that told me to bleach my tank. But thanks to you and @TnFishwater98 and some others, I thankfully have found out that I don’t have the pests I thought I did.
just wondering, do sand dollars eat detritus? I’ve been reading about them & if they eat stuff in the sand, how would someone keep their sand dollar alive if they vacuum their sand in the tank?? I’ve been trying to read about it online but no answers, I only find info about dead sand dollars. :(

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay that makes sense. When it was suggested, no one knew what kinds of critters or pests I had, I was just naming off the stuff I thought I had, which is all info from the same LFS that told me to bleach my tank. But thanks to you and @TnFishwater98 and some others, I thankfully have found out that I don’t have the pests I thought I did.
just wondering, do sand dollars eat detritus? I’ve been reading about them & if they eat stuff in the sand, how would someone keep their sand dollar alive if they vacuum their sand in the tank?? I’ve been trying to read about it online but no answers, I only find info about dead sand dollars. :(
I don’t think you can/should keep sand dollars in a tank, I could be wrong. I never had a huge Dino problem so I can’t help you we itt to u that issue but nothing to fret over. It might take of itself through time with WC...?

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15419594-9030-4E7A-AC6E-17E374441A53.jpeg

I’m dealing with Ball Anemones at the moment. Very pretty but spread fast and kill snails/and other small critters.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can/should keep sand dollars in a tank, I could be wrong. I never had a huge Dino problem so I can’t help you we itt to u that issue but nothing to fret over. It might take of itself through time with WC...?
Wow yes those ball anemone are very pretty but that’s insane they kill other small animals. Their sting must be really powerful. Can it hurt a human, the sting? Also, I did read about sand dollars online and that some people have been able to successfully keep them, but it was probably only two posts I saw about it at all. Everything else was talking about wild sand dollars in the ocean, or about how to kill them for preservation, or about preserving dead ones. I think I’ll have to do some research. I would like to know, if they can survive in an aquarium. Even though it would be in the sand and invisible most of the time lol

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REALLY want this fish. I was JUST talking about this fish last night lol. Would it survive without the pods? Or would I have to dump them into the tank for this fish? It’s so majestic I just love it. I wouldn’t want it to die though if it eats all the pods and then they’re gone
Mostly feed on pods , have a very high metabolism and need to eat all day . Hard fish to keep alive without refugium / sump for pods to breed or weekly dosing of pods. Would not rec early on

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly feed on pods , have a very high metabolism and need to eat all day . Hard fish to keep alive without refugium / sump for pods to breed or weekly dosing of pods. Would not rec early on
Good to know, thank you! I actually just saw this pod hotel on the BRS website, where I could basically catch pods for the fish. I don’t need it yet, though, of course

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that’s kinda cool, I thought they were bad. So that’s good news lol. The LFS said they’re spaghetti worms and he said I needed to nuke my tank because I have them and some other stuff. But the “pyramid snails” he said I have, turns out are limpets. He gave me some really bad info lol and told me to bleach my tank. I keep telling everyone this because I’m still shook at what he said. He literally wanted me to kill my livestock. like… what. lol
As far as the specks, if it’s pods, what is that and how do I know for sure? Should I not do a rip clean anymore? I haven’t yet but was going to. I have no idea what to do at this point. I have aiptasia for sure and some vermited snails, few other things.
If I was in an evil mood I might have told you to use pool acid and then bleach, LOL .

Glad folks on here gave you some real info. Bummer about your LFS situation.
Life Drowning GIF

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thank you! I actually just saw this pod hotel on the BRS website, where I could basically catch pods for the fish. I don’t need it yet, though, of course
E5F8F17D-A398-4734-80B2-4AAB59B9B5AF.jpeg

Yep I have one in my hang on the back safe haven resort I use for pods and other...Pods are a great to have in your tank

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow yes those ball anemone are very pretty but that’s insane they kill other small animals. Their sting must be really powerful. Can it hurt a human, the sting? Also, I did read about sand dollars online and that some people have been able to successfully keep them, but it was probably only two posts I saw about it at all. Everything else was talking about wild sand dollars in the ocean, or about how to kill them for preservation, or about preserving dead ones. I think I’ll have to do some research. I would like to know, if they can survive in an aquarium. Even though it would be in the sand and invisible most of the time lol
Not sure if they can sting us, but I’ve just read they are really sticky. Witnessed one eating a bristle worm one night. Kinda cool. Clear disk with blue dots on end of tentacles. So I could see the worm going through the mouth and on the inside of the ball anemones disk. Tried to take a pic but had lights off and was using a bright blue flashlight. Other than BBB that just a collection of shells by a lot of them. Lots of little babies spreading so I’m in full on war mode. But keeping calm. LOL

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was in an evil mood I might have told you to use pool acid and then bleach, LOL .

Glad folks on here gave you some real info. Bummer about your LFS situation.
Life Drowning GIF
Lol yeah he must have been in a real evil mood about 5 separate days I went there hahaha he said not to listen to any of the FB groups or forums because y’all want to see my tank die/fail and I’m thinking “well it’s a forum…. So it’s not gonna be just me reading the info” lol. I have a shop about 45 mins from me, gonna try to get up there today and stock up on a few things

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back