Can flow rate for drain pipe be too less?

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have a drain pipe with a ball valve in my overflow box. If I want to set my water level within the overflow box high, so that there is no noise from "falling" water I have to close the valve to like 90%. If it is closed like this my water levels everywhere are fine, thats the reason why it is closed.

Was just wondering if there is ANY difference in terms of transportation of stuff to my thermat roller oder skimmer if I have a fully 100% flow rate or a reduced one because valve is 90% closed?

90 % closed valve means 90 % less flow rate in my tank?
Or does my secondary Durso Pipe just gets more flow through when i close valve and primary to 90 %?

Edit: i have 3 pipes. Primary Standpipe, Secondary Standpipe (Durso) and emegency.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow rate comes from your pump. The overflow is designed to handle a certain flow rate without overflowing if that makes sense.
It sounds like your overflow is oversized to your pump which is a good thing and its the proper way to size them in relation to eachother.

OP
OP
C

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for answer! So doesnt matter if the valve of my drain pipe is 100% or 10% open except water level in my overflow right?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. It’s just going to end up going down the e-drain. It should not be making noise though. If anything try opening it up more unless the noise is the water falling over the weir.
If it’s that oversized and making that much noise, I have seen people put a very course filter over the primary. If it clogs it will just go down the e-drain.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back