Can I Eat My Tank's Macroalgae?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't want to eat bugs/poop/hair... you basically have to give up eating
Or you could eat nothing but bugs/poop/hair and beat the bas@#%$* at their own game. Take that FDA. Watch the food industry crumble as we all start finding our morsels between the couch cushions.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. It’s happening. We are using people as compost.

A98EC9EF-0EC2-4C7A-8176-FA90F4946C8F.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do I tell my mom? She’s very religious and washes her vegetables up to 4 times with bowls and transfers. She then uses a glass bowl and a white flat light to check the remaining water for bugs. She sometimes uses a magnifying glass.

If she finds a bug she’d wash it again until it passes clear.

Because according to her religion she cannot eat bugs. Please tell me she’ll live beyond 2050.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do I tell my mom? She’s very religious and washes her vegetables up to 4 times with bowls and transfers. She then uses a glass bowl and a white flat light to check the remaining water for bugs. She sometimes uses a magnifying glass.

Because according to her religion she cannot eat bugs. Please tell me she’ll live beyond 2050.
It must be hell for her to take a shower....that poor woman. You're hoping she lives beyond 2050 so she has to eat bugs? Lol

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. It’s happening. We are using people as compost.
I love the last line in the presentation. "After about 30 days the end product is a dry, fluffy nutrient-rich soil"........WITH A NAME! Hey hon, sprinkle a little more of that John Mitchell on these tomatoes. They're growing like weeds. Guy musta done some clean livin. Much better than the Miley Cyrus we used last year. That stuff just attracted vermin and teenage boys.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't thinks its that bad idea just on the fact that ulva is edible and you know everything that goes in and out of your tank , heck why not rinse and dry it and make some miso soup ?

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!
I don't thinks its that bad idea just on the fact that ulva is edible and you know everything that goes in and out of your tank , heck why not rinse and dry it and make some miso soup ?
When in doubt, I am keeping it out of my stomach…
While I know what goes into the additives I use, my live rock and wild live sand raises some concern.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I would not tell her but she’s already eating bugs if she uses flour or grain or canned foods and so on. Ignorance is probably best.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before reading your comment .
I was going to ask if a mouthful of tank water has ever made the op puke .
I’ve had skimmer sludge splash in my mouth once. .
I thought I was going to die after my stomach turned inside out .
I hope the reaction cleared quickly.
I, personally, had no reaction (despite the fact I do not use a skimmer, macroalgae does the job). It was just unpleasant.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In all seriousness, is is it safe to harvest and eat macroalgae from my own aquarium, specifically members of the Ulva genus (and possibly Caulerpa lentillifera in the future)? Is there something they would contain after having grown in my aquarium that would make them inedible or would a thorough wash under the tap be enough to make them fit for consumption?
I would be worried about bacteria and anything residual you might be dosing in your tank and would not recommend doing it :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back