OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were a macro algae specific tank, no corals, and no chemicals used, it'd be okay. Hydroponics have been around for a long time. But when you start adding all of our treatments for pests, and risked toxins mentioned above when certain coral species are added, not worth the risk.
As I have detailed before, my tank is macroalgae specific, and I never plan on adding corals. However, my live rock likely holds plenty of toxic organisms whose excretions could compromise my health, so macroalgae from my system is not going to end up on my plate any time soon. I have not used any pest treatments so far and the additives I use are listed on my build thread (post #87).

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WheatToast, come to the dark side. Eat the macroalgae fish tank salad...Billygoat from Nano-Reef says it's ok....you know you want to.
1633840984367.png

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sign me up! And send me the recipes!
Cook up some beef broth. Sautée seaweed with garlic and sesame oil. Mix ingredients together. Boil for about an hour. Season with salt. Add steamed rice and the beef from the broth. Enjoy 미역국!
1633842534302.jpeg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know guys. I think I'm having a change of heart about this whole algae thing. I may just have to give it a try tomorrow if I can fit it into my schedule. First I have to drop the kids off at Casey Anthony's daycare center followed by my blood transfusion with Charlie Sheen. From there I have to wire some money to the Nigerian Prince who keeps emailing me. At that point a nice bowl of fish tank seaweed should really hit the spot along with a nice tall glass of tap water from Flint Michigan. I guess I'll just have to eat the sushi I got from the gas station for dinner the following night. It should still be good. If I pace myself, I should still have time to meet up for a nightcap with Bill Cosby........what could possibly go wrong?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know guys. I think I'm having a change of heart about this whole algae thing. I may just have to give it a try tomorrow if I can fit it into my schedule. First I have to drop the kids off at Casey Anthony's daycare center followed by my blood transfusion with Charlie Sheen. From there I have to wire some money to the Nigerian Prince who keeps emailing me. At that point a nice bowl of fish tank seaweed should really hit the spot along with a nice tall glass of tap water from Flint Michigan. I guess I'll just have to eat the sushi I got from the gas station for dinner the following night. It should still be good. If I pace myself, I should still have time to meet up for a nightcap with Bill Cosby........what could possibly go wrong?
A
Night out with bill should be a blast .
I bet he talks about pudding ..
putting his hands where they don’t belong . Ha ha

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m now on the search for pyropia....for my reef tank. And....probably...eating.

Nori is a dried edible seaweed used in Japanese cuisine, made from species of the red algae genus Pyropia including P. yezoensis and P. tenera.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’m now on the search for pyropia....for my reef tank. And....probably...eating.

Nori is a dried edible seaweed used in Japanese cuisine, made from species of the red algae genus Pyropia including P. yezoensis and P. tenera.
Don't forget dulse! Everybody knows about nori but people forget about dulse which is from alot closer to home.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget dulse! Everybody knows about nori but people forget about dulse which is from alot closer to home.
They sell both of these seaweeds, alive, as well as other edible macroalgae on Gulf of Maine, Inc. I believe some coldwater hobbyist on YouTube had a good experience with this company. Similar seaweeds (ex. Porphyra) can also be purchased on Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They sell both of these seaweeds, alive, as well as other edible macroalgae on Gulf of Maine, Inc. I believe some coldwater hobbyist on YouTube had a good experience with this company. Similar seaweeds (ex. Porphyra) can also be purchased on Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory.
A-2650 CAULERPA PROLIFERA

A beautiful green marine alga, exhibits highly differentiated branchlets that spring up from elongated rhizoids. Chewing the leaves is reported to produce hallucinations. CAUTION! Plants also contain toxic alkaloids.
>.> Don't know what I want to say about that. But reminds me of a certain leaf Asians like to chew on.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A-2650 CAULERPA PROLIFERA

A beautiful green marine alga, exhibits highly differentiated branchlets that spring up from elongated rhizoids. Chewing the leaves is reported to produce hallucinations. CAUTION! Plants also contain toxic alkaloids.
>.> Don't know what I want to say about that. But reminds me of a certain leaf Asians like to chew on.
Well now I am interested in eating macro out of my tank... Sounds like a trip

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back