Can I save my Monti?

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased this Monti frag and have had it in the tank for two days. I accidentally fed it bottles phytoplankton and now it is changing colors all where the phytoplankton touched the surface. Is there anything I can do to save it? Is it dying or is this normal? (The second photo is what it looked like when I put it in and the first is what it looks like now.)

35CDFF0A-97C7-421D-AB70-7B45E7E9A22E.jpeg F40F1CD4-05B4-4487-B18F-10FBF7E0A7A0.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Sorry to hear about your monti. Can you share with us your parameters as well as lighting setup? It could be coincidence the phytoplankton, but if the bottle had any ammonia buildup it could have burned those spots.

OP
OP
lrp693

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, the parameters are all normal, Salinity: 1.025, PH: 8.2, Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0.3 ppm, Nitrate: 0.5 ppm, Temperature: 79.5 F, and the lighting is the stock lighting with the Fluval Evo: LED 14000K. Update on the appearance, the spots that were "burned" are now completely white after the flow has blown away what I'm guessing was damaged tissue. Will the entire colony die? Will the burned sections come back?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're registering Nitrite? What test kit are you using? If the tank is completely cycled there should be 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia.

OP
OP
lrp693

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Nitrite was also 0 ppm, I just realized I typed in the wrong number. I have a log since I started the tank and I put in an old entry on the last reply. All the other tank members including corals are doing well and there doesn't seem to be any other indicators of parameter issues.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Nitrite was also 0 ppm, I just realized I typed in the wrong number. I have a log since I started the tank and I put in an old entry on the last reply. All the other tank members including corals are doing well and there doesn't seem to be any other indicators of parameter issues.
What are the other corals and what is your calcium and alkalinity level at?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other SPS?

Have you tested your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium?

OP
OP
lrp693

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other corals and what is your calcium and alkalinity level at?

I'm not sure, I tested with strips which I no longer have and am waiting for the new liquid tests to come in the mail because none of my local stores had them. The other corals are a small Duncan colony and a small Xenia colony. No other SPS. This was the first SPS I put in this tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS (duncan) and softies (xenia) rely much less on calcium and alkalinity than SPS do. If one of those parameters are out of wack SPS will suffer but LPS and softies will appear to be fine. Best bet would be to either hold tight until your test kits come in so you can see where your levels are at, take a sample into your LFS to test, or do a couple of small water changes to get your levels back to normal if they're out of spec.

OP
OP
lrp693

lrp693

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS (duncan) and softies (xenia) rely much less on calcium and alkalinity than SPS do. If one of those parameters are out of wack SPS will suffer but LPS and softies will appear to be fine. Best bet would be to either hold tight until your test kits come in so you can see where your levels are at, take a sample into your LFS to test, or do a couple of small water changes to get your levels back to normal if they're out of spec.
Sounds good, I'll do a couple small water changes in the meantime and then check the parameters when the test kits come in. Thanks for the advice!

Back