Can someone help me understand what trace elements are?

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Can someone help me understand what trace elements are?

How to dose, and how often?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trace elements are used to aid photosynthetic and enzymatic reaction within the confines of a marine aquarium. They can be administered through feeding, water changes and liquid supplements.
You don’t want to overdose trace elements! The best way for you to replenish trace elements, that become depleted through fish respiration, adsorption and absorption by chemical media and even from certain materials used in your tank like glass and hosing and growth of livestock, is to do weekly water changes. This takes the guess work out of administering trace supplements and possibly overdosing.
If you feel better dosing, just follow the directions on the bottle and dose a little less than recommended to be safe.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very debatable topic. Read the links provided and I wouldn't dose anything you can't test for. Water changes will replenish the trace

I do not do alot of water changes (I am trying to not use alot of salt) so I was hoping to find a way to add trace elements to the reef tank
Trace elements are used to aid photosynthetic and enzymatic reaction within the confines of a marine aquarium. They can be administered through feeding, water changes and liquid supplements.
You don’t want to overdose trace elements! The best way for you to replenish trace elements, that become depleted through fish respiration, adsorption and absorption by chemical media and even from certain materials used in your tank like glass and hosing and growth of livestock, is to do weekly water changes. This takes the guess work out of administering trace supplements and possibly overdosing.
If you feel better dosing, just follow the directions on the bottle and dose a little less than recommended to be safe.

I would like to get information on dosing using a bottle. Do you have a link to this information?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? Sounds like you might over complicate things just starting out my friend. Dosing trace would also require knowing your tanks consumption rate of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium. Do you plan on sending in for ICP testing to make sure your not over dosing any element? That could lead to other issues down the road.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are going to carefully test for them, the only good options involve dosing them and seeing if it is useful or not. Some won't typically accumulate (iron, manganese) and some may or may be too high even before you add any.

So treat trace element dosing as an experiment, not as a must do with a specific amount at a specific time.

If you are not a DIY type, just try a commercial mixed supplement.

Back