Can these live with mandarin goby?

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So I have a 125 reef tank, sunset wrasse, damsel, hippo tang, clownfish, can these live with sailfin tang and mandarin goby.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree lots of pods. It really helps if you have a refugium. The wrasse probably will eat pods to.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
having a refugium will benefit you greatly, as the pods have a place to constantly breed and make their way to the display eventually..

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 125 with rock and a fuge should be plenty for a mandarin. I would wait until the tank is at least 6 months old, or until you can see tiny copepods crawling on the glass.

The only fish that concerns me, compatibility wise, is that specific wrasse. I haven't kept any Thallasoma genus wrasses with a mandarin. It worries me a little, but it might be totally fine.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 125 with rock and a fuge should be plenty for a mandarin. I would wait until the tank is at least 6 months old, or until you can see tiny copepods crawling on the glass.

The only fish that concerns me, compatibility wise, is that specific wrasse. I haven't kept any Thallasoma genus wrasses with a mandarin. It worries me a little, but it might be totally fine.
Let's call a wrasse expert. @Crabby48 we need your expertise and advice.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard that mandarin are hard to keep tho? How long until I should put one in and what makes them hard?
Mandarins are one of the easiest, no maintenance fish we keep but they won't live in a new tank no matter how many pods you buy. They need an older tank (years) and they will take care of themselves with no help from us. They will even spawn constantly but not in a new tank.

2 or 3 years old is a new tank.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at adding a mandarin to the list of fish? If so it should be ok. Not familiar with temperament of sunset wrasse with mandarins though. They can get big and mandarins are small. Wouldn’t think it would see mandarin as food.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @nereefpat. I worry about mixing a Thalassoma spp with a slow moving mandarin. Thalassoma spp wrasses are capable of bashing and tearing apart small fish. I wouldn't risk it.

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are one of the easiest, no maintenance fish we keep but they won't live in a new tank no matter how many pods you buy. They need an older tank (years) and they will take care of themselves with no help from us. They will even spawn constantly but not in a new tank.

2 or 3 years old is a new tank.

You got them to breed?! How did you go upon doing that?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunset wrasse is very gentle with the other fish I have, small damsel less than a inch is fine. So is clown
If your wrasse is a thalassoma lutescens its gentle behavior will change over time. It's not the most aggressive of the thalassoma spp but it's still a thalassoma. This genus of wrasse has an aggressive reputation for a reason.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back