Canister Filter on Reef Tank

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you maintain them like #K78MG explains and required if you intend for them to be effective in saltwater (taking them apart every week to clean and reassemble) over time the risk they will leak is high. In a freshwater system, maintenance is much less frequent.
I've been running the same eheim 2211 for around 10 years. Taken apart once a month and no leaks. If you take care of your stuff it works.

Dankiest_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning out and replacing the filter floss in my canister filter once a week which was a pain. I put a foam pre-filter on the intake. This has reduced my canister filter cleaning to only once a month. I clean the foam pre filter a couple times a week which is easy to pull off, rinse, and re-install

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions.
I have a 40g was going to do the aio i dont like the flow of the aio.
I was going to take out the back panel and put a canister on it.
Do you still run a skimmer ?
Thinking canister because I dont have room for a sump
Thanks

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Fluval FX4 on my 75 gallon, no issues, it does need to be maintained, but not on a weekly schedule, more like once a month. I don't have room to run a sump, and the canister is crazy quiet. I love mine, and yes you can do it, many, many of us do and our reef tanks are doing great. Check out my build page.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions.
Thanks
You will probably need a skimmer too

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OP

IMG_20200902_205429965.jpg
Here's what I mean by doubling-up or running two in series. I primarily do it for the space reasons you mentioned.
IMG_20200902_205332629.jpg
Interesting. Never seen something like this.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions.
Thanks
Some canister systems have a makeshift skimmer for the intake/pickup line. Fluval sells one for 5/8" but not for 3/4". SunSun HW-3000 has the absolute BEST intake/pickup system I've seen in a 3/4", it includes a decent skimmer option too.

I have chosen to and been very successful using Seachem Tidal HOBs as skimmers/polishers in addition to my canister(s). There are several other HOBs now that include an adjustable split intake between conventional downtube pickup and skimming. And for the record, I've done multiple tests with a skimmer added and never, not once, collected the first ounce of skim. So I know the HOB works.

Right now if I had to pick any canister, it would definitely be the Oase Biomaster series. The removable pre-filter system is nothing short of awesome and convenient. Second choice would be the Fluval FX6, then FX4. Size matters in a saltwater canister setup and you need plenty of capacity for biomedia, plus flow.

Side note - Oase just announced a Biomaster 850 with a 400 gph flow rate. I will be trying one on a 90-gal in place of two in series when the 850 ships.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OP

IMG_20200902_205429965.jpg
Here's what I mean by doubling-up or running two in series. I primarily do it for the space reasons you mentioned.
IMG_20200902_205332629.jpg
I like it. Just bought the Oase 600 for my 75g fresh water cichlid tank. I have the Fluval G6 with removable pre filter, I like this one better. Will replace the Fluval 406 that is also on the 75. I know its overkill but my cichlids like to eat.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have no problem running two filters. You can do so in parallel, using two sets of plumbing. Or set them up in series as I typically do.
I find it most useful to set up one as the mechanical filtration, and use the second one for biological media and carbon.
I like using my 2 cannisters parallel to get more water movement.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Just bought the Oase 600 for my 75g fresh water cichlid tank. I have the Fluval G6 with removable pre filter, I like this one better. Will replace the Fluval 406 that is also on the 75. I know its overkill but my cichlids like to eat.
I run two Oase 350 in series on my heavily planted and heavily stocked 45 bowfront freshwater, plus a Tidal-110 HOB. That tank runs four autofeeder cycles per day of flakes, plus supplemental hand feedings several times each week.

For freshwater I prefer to use the coarse pre-filter foams and make the bottom tray medium foam.

For saltwater I prefer the 45 ppi carbon foam for pre-filters and the regular medium foam in the bottom tray. For some odd reason the 45 ppi carbon pre-filter foam does a much better job of trapping particles in saltwater than even the fine 60 ppi, and it doesn't clog nearly as fast.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Oase 350 in series on my heavily planted and heavily stocked 45 bowfront freshwater, plus a Tidal-110 HOB. That tank runs four autofeeder cycles per day of flakes, plus supplemental hand feedings several times each week.

For freshwater I prefer to use the coarse pre-filter foams and make the bottom tray medium foam.

For saltwater I prefer the 45 ppi carbon foam for pre-filters and the regular medium foam in the bottom tray. For some odd reason the 45 ppi carbon pre-filter foam does a much better job of trapping particles in saltwater than even the fine 60 ppi, and it doesn't clog nearly as fast.
So should I not use the 60ppi? I have the Fluval G6 and it's prefilter still lets a lot of detritus through, they have the fine pre-filter for marine applications but can't get them for this, they still have the fine for the G4's.

OP
OP
Z

ZoaLuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother and I decided to run two eheim 2217's on the tank in unison for the filtration. Thanks for the help everyone and letting me know about your successes and tips!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to use the Oase 600 on my 75g reef tank I am setting up now, until I can transfer my sump from the 46g bowfront.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back