Canister Filter on Reef Tank

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I not use the 60ppi? I have the Fluval G6 and it's prefilter still lets a lot of detritus through, they have the fine pre-filter for marine applications but can't get them for this, they still have the fine for the G4's.
Much depends on your overall tank flow and substrate. If you have high flow, sand, and a Watchman Goby digging tunnels everywhere, you typically can't run Fine foam in prefilter stages without quickly clogging the foam. Every system/setup tends to differ. Just be prepared to adjust your mechanical stages with some frequent initial checks of where the waste is being stopped in the path, and don't assume that the manufacturer is putting the best foam in all the right places for you.

It has been my experience that for some odd and yet unexplained reason, 45 ppi carbon foam does the best overall job as a prefilter in saltwater.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much depends on your overall tank flow and substrate. If you have high flow, sand, and a Watchman Goby digging tunnels everywhere, you typically can't run Fine foam in prefilter stages without quickly clogging the foam. Every system/setup tends to differ. Just be prepared to adjust your mechanical stages with some frequent initial checks of where the waste is being stopped in the path, and don't assume that the manufacturer is putting the best foam in all the right places for you.

It has been my experience that for some odd and yet unexplained reason, 45 ppi carbon foam does the best overall job as a prefilter in saltwater.
Thank you. I guess I could alternate between coarse and fine to polish water.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I guess I could alternate between coarse and fine to polish water.
I bought a (relatively) cheap canister filter for $75 Open Box off Amazon, that I load with medium foam, poly pads and a polishing pad. Have it setup as a portable polisher vac for times when I'm re-decorating, digging out something or any activity that generates a temporary cloud of muck. I turn off the main filtration while I'm working, leaving the powerheads running. Then bring in the fish vac and run it for about an hour before turning on the main canisters.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a (relatively) cheap canister filter for $75 Open Box off Amazon, that I load with medium foam, poly pads and a polishing pad. Have it setup as a portable polisher vac for times when I'm re-decorating, digging out something or any activity that generates a temporary cloud of muck. I turn off the main filtration while I'm working, leaving the powerheads running. Then bring in the fish vac and run it for about an hour before turning on the main canisters.
I do the same with a spare Fluval 306 and an internal powerhead with polishing filter.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever thought about drilling and putting a valve near the bottom of the canister and basically just open the valve when you do water changes to get what has settled out?
Fluval FX4 and Fx6 both have them on the canister already

0CoolG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to sway you or break the piggy bank, but if you want to consider another canister filter...
The removable Prefilter section of the Oase Biomaster makes it MUCH easier to clean every week.
I have six of them.

1599094261318.png
I have that too

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to sway you or break the piggy bank, but if you want to consider another canister filter...
The removable Prefilter section of the Oase Biomaster makes it MUCH easier to clean every week.
I have six of them.

1599094261318.png
I'm looking at using one of these for a 21 gal nano. What size would you consider? I'm concerned about flow because I read the flow rate is like half of what's advertised...

I figured I should try to get the largest filter I can afford for both enough flow and enough filtration? But I'm not sure.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at using one of these for a 21 gal nano. What size would you consider? I'm concerned about flow because I read the flow rate is like half of what's advertised...

I figured I should try to get the largest filter I can afford for both enough flow and enough filtration? But I'm not sure.
PM sent

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably cleaning it so often, because it might be overpacked with media. On cleaning the canister you want to be careful not to over clean and destroy the bacteria growing, this is a big reason why your levels go crazy. The Hydor Pro canisters are one of the best on the market and should not leak unless damaged, put together wrong or seals are dirty.
I’ve got a 36g fish only tank with a canister filter. I do water changes and filter cleaning monthly. I’m looking into getting lps and soft corals. Any advise on what I need or should do for those corals?

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a pseudo cannister filter on my reef as well. It's a large pond filter, that's filled with filter beads.

Tank will be filled with liverock, and substrate.
I will be running a protein skimmer, and a separate refugium.

What maintenance do I need to stay on top of / what concerns should I have with that setup? I read a few people said cannisters are nitrate factories, and that bacteria will grow in the filter instead of the tank...won't it grow in substrate and refusgium too?

Any tips would be helpful, I haven't fired up this setup yet.

Here's the filter I'm using:

1713052696014.png

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a pseudo cannister filter on my reef as well. It's a large pond filter, that's filled with filter beads.

Tank will be filled with liverock, and substrate.
I will be running a protein skimmer, and a separate refugium.

What maintenance do I need to stay on top of / what concerns should I have with that setup? I read a few people said cannisters are nitrate factories, and that bacteria will grow in the filter instead of the tank...won't it grow in substrate and refusgium too?

Any tips would be helpful, I haven't fired up this setup yet.

Here's the filter I'm using:

1713052696014.png
is that a pool sand filter? my issue with that filter would be the noise it would make and the size of it.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my brother and I recently set up a 100 gallon reef tank and have decided to go with a canister filter to save room as it is in a smaller and many people have said that it worked well for them. We've bought an eheim 2217 for the tank and I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips or words of advice for us about your experiences. Also, my brother knows about 10x what i do in regards to saltwater tanks so if i sound like i dont have the knowledge to run a 100 gallon saltwater tank that'd be why.

Thanks,
Luke
I have a 90 gallon set up. I use a canister. The one I opted for was the Oase 600 bio master. The reason for this is it has what they call a "pre filter" which upon very easy removal, you clean, and put back. Once a month you take the whole filter apart for cleaning. You can do a canister just fine. BUT, as someone else on here has said, the problem is the person maintaining the filter / tank. People get lazy, and you can not do that. But Oase has made it very easy. I also have an HOB skimmer. My UV sterilizer is under the tank in a cabinet, and runs thru the canister filter.

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon set up. I use a canister. The one I opted for was the Oase 600 bio master. The reason for this is it has what they call a "pre filter" which upon very easy removal, you clean, and put back. Once a month you take the whole filter apart for cleaning. You can do a canister just fine. BUT, as someone else on here has said, the problem is the person maintaining the filter / tank. People get lazy, and you can not do that. But Oase has made it very easy. I also have an HOB skimmer. My UV sterilizer is under the tank in a cabinet, and runs thru the canister filter.
That Oase is a nice unit!

The pond filter I'm using is bio beads only, so carbon will done via a different method. The pond filter has a blower on it for backwashing. Is the backwashing the primary maintenance that's needed on these types of filters, or is there something else I should be concerned about?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back