Canopy build

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardware stores sell reflective acrylic, but if you're in a bind, an auto store will have cut-to-fit mirrors... they're acrylic and fully reflective, with adhesive backing

myakuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,
I am looking to do something similar on my 220 waterbox but in pvc board. i dont think i have the skills to do it my self on such a large tank, especially if my only option is wall/ceiling mounting bc the tank is rimless. anyone know of a company that could help?
much appreciated

OP
OP
S

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,
I am looking to do something similar on my 220 waterbox but in pvc board. i dont think i have the skills to do it my self on such a large tank, especially if my only option is wall/ceiling mounting bc the tank is rimless. anyone know of a company that could help?
much appreciated
Never heard of pvc board is it light weight?

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 1. I know it looks like separate compartments but it's just one. However the sides do open...just not on hydraulics.

@Sdot - Can you post some pictures of the canopy with side open? How does that work with the front that opens too? How is canopy supported? I am looking to do something similar with my tank but only need front and one side to open.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey no worries, the canopy was built as a custom project for the build, see below pix. Also please make sure the tank has the correct bracing and is made to support the weight of the canopy as they are heavy.

Canopy fully closed:
1586446214905.png

Front open, supported by struts:

1586446254544.png

Side and front opened: The sides do not have any struts:

1586446313368.png

1586446347455.png

and finally just the side:

1586446387751.png

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My existing canopy is deteriorating and I'm investigating replacements as it's been on the tank 15 years. It is so heavy and tank is so close to a corner I'm not sure my husband and I can even lift it off. Thank is 225 and 72" long x 30" wide. It has a front that lifts like yours and in addition hinges in the middle so I can lift the entire front half up and fold back on itself to give me access to tank. Problem is I don't have access to back corner so I'm trying to figure out how I can make the sides removable, can't make it lift because first 6" or so are very close to fireplace mantel. Canopy just sits on top and supported by a few pieces of wood attached to canopy. Canopy hangs below top of tank by about an inch or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back