OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine order placed 10/11 with 10/13 delivery selected. If you cannot fulfill shipment please process refund instead. I hate to be kept waiting without a response
Hello, ReefMagnet,

I'm sorry for the time it took us to respond. A delivery date wasn't chosen upon checkout; would you like to choose a delivery date? We can update the order.

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, ReefMagnet,

I'm sorry for the time it took us to respond. A delivery date wasn't chosen upon checkout; would you like to choose a delivery date? We can update the order.
Hello - I don’t think the order could be placed without a delivery date and I am certain I selected 10/13. Please cancel the order and confirm refund. I’ll get it from my LFS instead

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I don’t think the order could be placed without a delivery date and I am certain I selected 10/13. Please cancel the order and confirm refund. I’ll get it from my LFS instead
Hello, your order has been cancelled and refunded per your request. I apologize for any inconvenience.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size differences between if I were to buy two individual mandarins, or the pair, if there are any differe
The Mandarin Fish can be sexed by looking at the dorsal fin; in the male it's much taller and pointed. When we pair Mandarins, we choose male/female pairs. They are fairly uniform in size, but there may be a small difference in size between the two individuals unrelated to their sex. The size difference won't hinder their compatibility or growth.

- Felicia

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably (likely) a stupid question, but on your website it says the tank size is "up to 30 gallons". Does this mean that these will not thrive in a 200 gallon tank? I'm just wondering if they do better in smaller tanks, with less fish. I'd be interested in buying a pair.

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably (likely) a stupid question, but on your website it says the tank size is "up to 30 gallons". Does this mean that these will not thrive in a 200 gallon tank? I'm just wondering if they do better in smaller tanks, with less fish. I'd be interested in buying a pair.
From what I've heard, they arrive very small. Best would be to keep them in a small tank until they grow larger. Otherwise you may never actually see them moving around a large tank, and can't ensure they are eating.

TTNuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine I'm guessing if you order 2 individual Blue Mandarins rather than the pair you could end up with either 2 males or 2 females, correct? Been thinking of getting a pair for a long time but it would sure be nice to save $60 since the individuals are on sale and the pairs aren't. I'm guessing that was by design though. :)

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine I'm guessing if you order 2 individual Blue Mandarins rather than the pair you could end up with either 2 males or 2 females, correct? Been thinking of getting a pair for a long time but it would sure be nice to save $60 since the individuals are on sale and the pairs aren't. I'm guessing that was by design though. :)
It does take a significant amount of time to pick out pairs of mandarin fish, which is why we put the singles on sale but not the pairs. We typically end up with more females than males, so this helps to balance them out, as well.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably (likely) a stupid question, but on your website it says the tank size is "up to 30 gallons". Does this mean that these will not thrive in a 200 gallon tank? I'm just wondering if they do better in smaller tanks, with less fish. I'd be interested in buying a pS
Many reefers with very large, established tanks put the small mandarin fish right in the tank, and they're able to find enough food to grow. They may not see the fish for a time while it grows. Some reefers choose to instead keep them in smaller tanks or acclimation boxes for a time to make sure they are getting enough food. The minimum tank size for an adult mandarin has been 30+ gallons since people started keeping these as pets, mainly to ensure that there is enough live food to sustain them. We have had some more advanced keepers keep our mandarins in smaller tanks long term, which seems to work because they will eat prepared foods.

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I would like to order a pair of them in the next weeks or so, but I’m trying to find the PE hatchery pellets in .4mm! Where you get those? Or would they be ok with just the TDO-B2 and maybe some Masstick?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, @snakemau The B2 size would be appropriate for these mandarins. If the pellets are too large, they can be crushed. They also really love frozen baby brine shrimp and calanus at this age.

Last edited:

mello_dank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Biota_Marine ,

I recently submitted an order through the online website - is it possible to choose a male green mandarin for my order? Is there someone I can contact? thanks :)

chazzinator8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jake. I also placed an order for a pair of Mandarin Dragonets from Biota and requested delivery for 1/5/22. However, I have not received any updates since I placed my order last week. Any suggestion on who I can contact? Thanks.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Biota_Marine ,

I recently submitted an order through the online website - is it possible to choose a male green mandarin for my order? Is there someone I can contact? thanks :)
Hello, I'm sorry for the late reply. You can always send an email to [email protected] to reach our shipping facility directly.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jake. I also placed an order for a pair of Mandarin Dragonets from Biota and requested delivery for 1/5/22. However, I have not received any updates since I placed my order last week. Any suggestion on who I can contact? Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply here. I believe we corresponded through email last week. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Sharkbait13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows us for our captive-bred mandarins and for great reason! Our mandarins are fed a diet of pellet and frozen foods so when they get into your tank they're already acclimated and ready to thrive.

Check out this video of a group of them chowing down on some TDO B2 and PE hatchery diet pellets. We also feed them frozen PE Calanus and frozen Hikari baby brine shrimp.

Post any questions you might have about them below!

Just ordered a green male and green female off algae barn!! So excited for them, can’t wait to see them grow up!! I love what you do!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so people know, my biota Mandarin loves hikari herbivore pellets. She lives in a reefer170 that I add pods to every couple months but I probably don't need to as I see them on the glass in between additions. She is fat and always hunting for food, especially pellets at feeding time. I've had her for ~3 years and she really hasn't grown besides gotten fatter, still under 2".

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back