Captive-Bred vs Wild ???

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie Q. What are the benefits of buying a captive-bred vs wild yellow tang? Im seeing both on Liveaquaria. I don’t mind paying extra if there is a benefit to it. Thanks in advance

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It supports the aquaculture industry and gives reason to continue efforts towards getting more availability for the hobby. In addition a captive bred tang should be more hardy and adapted for you tank. I have a captive bred tang from LiveAquaria and it arrived free of disease and eating in day 1. I would highly recommend purchasing one!

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It supports the aquaculture industry and gives reason to continue efforts towards getting more availability for the hobby. In addition a captive bred tang should be more hardy and adapted for you tank. I have a captive bred tang from LiveAquaria and it arrived free of disease and eating in day 1. I would highly recommend purchasing one!
Thanks! Would you still quarantine for observation but no treatments? That would make my anxiety level go way down.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Would you still quarantine for observation but no treatments? That would make my anxiety level go way down.
Yes of course. The captive bred tangs arrive pretty small but grow quickly. Keep in QT tank for 6-8 weeks and get him fat and happy before introducing to main display. Mine did not require meds but definitely benefited from having his own tank for a couple months. A 20 gallon tank should be enough size for QT given their small size.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I disagree with them being hardier.

A fish that is captive bred that is never subjected to fish diseases would not have a resistance to one. How could it? Now it is thrown into a system that has fish from all over. If a fish was never subjected to ich how could it possibly have a resistance to it. We know fish can build up a resistance to it.

I do think we should support captive bred fish and buy them when we can. Plus they are already adapted to aquarium life. I just do not think they are as hardy.

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie Q. What are the benefits of buying a captive-bred vs wild yellow tang? Im seeing both on Liveaquaria. I don’t mind paying extra if there is a benefit to it. Thanks in advance

Captive Bred are generally hardier. Add in what has already been said about supporting aquaculture and the hobby being more sustainable since they aren't being pulled off of a reef somewhere.

U

User1

View Badges
I do think we should support captive bred fish and buy them when we can. Plus they are already adapted to aquarium life. I just do not think they are as hardy.

Agree - supporting the aquaculture businesses when we can. Both fish and corals. I'll stay out of the hardier or not bit because there are valid points to both.

What I will say is if you do buy captive raised and/or bred fish as noted be aware of the size. Having just purchased a captive raised matted filefish I was surprised of its size upon arrival. It was no bigger than a penny. I attempted to put it into my display after acclimation and my other processes but it was not able to manage the flow so would keep going down the overflow and end up in the sump. Out of fear for its safety I removed it from the sump and used an emergency breeder box for a couple days while I setup up a 5 gallon holding tank. I think by months end it will be large enough to enter the display.

I see another member noted the size so just wanted to second it. They are smaller so plan accordingly.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or do the captive bred YTs seem more dull in color compared to the wild caught?
Some of that is just age. A lot of the early CB photos were young ones. They don't have any yellow at all until some time after they settle.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with them being hardier.

A fish that is captive bred that is never subjected to fish diseases would not have a resistance to one. How could it? Now it is thrown into a system that has fish from all over.

I would only adopt a child from an adoption center because they’ve been exposed to more germs from more people. I would not adopt a child who is from a single home because he might be at risk for infections when he goes out into the public. This is the argument you’re making. If you have any evidence to claim captive bred fish are less hardy im all ears. I’ve heard multiple people claim this without merit.

in regards to color, they have the same bright coloration as a wild caught specimen. Agree with other poster that when you first get them they have less color because they recently settled and we’re a clear fish just weeks earlier!

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only adopt a child from an adoption center because they’ve been exposed to more germs from more people. I would not adopt a child who is from a single home because he might be at risk for infections when he goes out into the public. This is the argument you’re making. If you have any evidence to claim captive bred fish are less hardy im all ears. I’ve heard multiple people claim this without merit.

Ya, this is a poorly thought out argument. The idea that captive bred fish have not been exposed to wild pathogens and parasites is clearly an easy one to understand. The idea that a child growing up in a single household has not been exposed to any infections or disease is ludicrous.

Maybe if you were comparing adopting a bubble boy vs a child from an adoption center lol

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't QT this fish or have not QT others in the tank then I would think a captive YT may be more susceptible to pathogens and wild parasites considering they have theoretically not built up immunities to these in the wild.

+1 ^ 100% correct.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it doesn’t matter whether captive bred fish are more resistant to pathogens or parasites because if you treat and QT they’ll never be exposed to them in the first place. Hardier can me many things such as more resistant to changes in environment, they’ll eat more variety of foods and withstand less complex diets and more hardy in terms of stress. So to sum up my long post hardy can mean many things and as long as you QT Your CB fish you don’t have to worry about them needing to be more resistant to pathogens and parasites.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only adopt a child from an adoption center because they’ve been exposed to more germs from more people. I would not adopt a child who is from a single home because he might be at risk for infections when he goes out into the public.
That is not even close to what shred5 said. You're either A) buying a fish that has up until this point survived predation, competition for food, and numerous pathogens or B) buying a fish that has spent their entire short life in a very sterile tank, with near zero risk of being eaten, an abundance of food and extremely low risk of succumbing to some pathogen. I'd say that B is certainly better equipped to deal with aquarium life. Now does that make it more or less hardy is debatable I think, but I don't think it is a stretch to think that wild caught could deal with sickness a bit better.

And to answer OP, I think I would always choose CB. Why? It supports a growing industry that reduces the small fishing pressures this industry places on the reefs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back