Captive-Bred vs Wild ???

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty dramatic. Yellow tang collection wasn't destroying the environment. Most of Hawaii was already protected, and fish collectors were licensed. Hawaii is the most studied and protected fishery in the world. The citizens voted that they didn't want any fish to leave the island. The decision was sociological and political, and not an issue of sustainability. There are examples of sustainable fisheries all over the place. And in many of those places, the licenses pay for conservation of wildlife.

Over-fishing leads to a reduction in the amount of reef fish species in many locations, which can disrupt the delicate ecological balance on the reef. Destructive fishing practices can also damage coral reefs. Additionally, marine debris, such as derelict fishing gear and trash, and invasive species, such as marine algae, negatively impact coral reefs.

Fishing pressure has a direct impact on sustainability of reef fish. Different fish species are depleted at different rates based on how desirable they are. Surgeonfish are the most depleted, while Snapper fishing is sustainable. Data from PIFSC 2016 MHI reef fish stock assessment.

- NOAA, 2018 Hawaiian Reef Status Report

It's not dramatic, it's the truth.

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always opt for captive-bred. Sure, they cost more, but this isn't a cheap hobby. For a one-time purchase, I'm not worried about the extra cost.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I disagree that CB aren’t as hardy as wild ones (many larger wild specimens of fish like Tangs, Angels, Butterflies etc. never accept captive diets), I think shred and Paul B should replace Fauci on the CDC. I can’t say I disagree with your approaches to disease management even when it comes to humans. :) We aren’t meant to be quarantined. :)

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nooo I wanted an update :( on how captive bred ones are
@reefinatl
5 month later update. I have 3 of the 5 yellow tangs left after the queen angel killed 2 of them. They are. Ow as yellow as any wild caught one I've ever seen. 1 has a small amount of hlle, but I think it will probably heal with time.

They did not yellow up until I put in strong lighting, 3 to 4 weeks after that and they are bright yellow. I feed them small pellets 8 times a day in an auto feeder and seaweed daily.

Attachments

• 20210926_114323.jpg
    20210926_114323.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210926_114242.jpg
    20210926_114242.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 25
Back