Car Sponge?

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally have no pet store bear by and I'm trying to fill a gap in my overflow so an eel I have won't get into the sump. Can't find sponge filter material ANYWHERE in my local area and the closest shop to me is 2 hours away. Got a car sponge from Walmart. Rinsed the crap out of it in RODI water that was treated with prime. Cut it to size; approx a 5x5" piece. Placed in my overflow box and walked away taking it was good. Best thing I know, I have microbubbles all in my DT! I open my sump and my skimmer was overflowing! Emptied it out and placed the cup back on and plugged it in. Instantly overflowed again. The sponge was just a standard cheap $1.50 sponge. No chemicals in it or soaps preloaded. What gives?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten that same thing when I added Brightwell plates to my sump. It took about a day to stop. I just turned off my skimmer for that day and when I turned it back on it was fine.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten that same thing when I added Brightwell plates to my sump. It took about a day to stop. I just turned off my skimmer for that day and when I turned it back on it was fine.
I couldn't imagine the sponge material itself causing an issue or releasing anything. Like I said. I rinsed the crap out of it. Does prime make skimmers go on the fritz? The polyps on my birdsnest all sucked in too? What the heck?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back