Car Sponge?

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally have no pet store bear by and I'm trying to fill a gap in my overflow so an eel I have won't get into the sump. Can't find sponge filter material ANYWHERE in my local area and the closest shop to me is 2 hours away. Got a car sponge from Walmart. Rinsed the crap out of it in RODI water that was treated with prime. Cut it to size; approx a 5x5" piece. Placed in my overflow box and walked away taking it was good. Best thing I know, I have microbubbles all in my DT! I open my sump and my skimmer was overflowing! Emptied it out and placed the cup back on and plugged it in. Instantly overflowed again. The sponge was just a standard cheap $1.50 sponge. No chemicals in it or soaps preloaded. What gives?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten that same thing when I added Brightwell plates to my sump. It took about a day to stop. I just turned off my skimmer for that day and when I turned it back on it was fine.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten that same thing when I added Brightwell plates to my sump. It took about a day to stop. I just turned off my skimmer for that day and when I turned it back on it was fine.
I couldn't imagine the sponge material itself causing an issue or releasing anything. Like I said. I rinsed the crap out of it. Does prime make skimmers go on the fritz? The polyps on my birdsnest all sucked in too? What the heck?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back